Leighton to start tonight vs Lightning

pilldoc

Is starting Leighton a wise choice for Lavy?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Should Leighton be in goal tonight?

• Yes, Leighton needs a start every now and then.
    • No, keep him as far away from goal as possible

"Leighton gets nod. Backup goalie Michael Leighton will get his first start of the season Sunday when the Flyers (2-3) play the host Lightning (3-1) at 6 p.m."

Damm ....just when Bryz had 2 solid games back to back.

I don't agree with move at all.........

"Leighton gets nod. Backup goalie Michael Leighton will get his first start of the season Sunday when the Flyers (2-3) play the host Lightning (3-1) at 6 p.m."

Damm ....just when Bryz had 2 solid games back to back.

I don't agree with move at all.........

Leighton looks great. The team on the other hand has some issues to address.

Greetings:

Leighton may have been at fault on 2 of the goals but the others were great shots and defensive lapses...or teammate assist on the way in off Talbot. After a two year layoff from the majors, I wouldn't get too harsh. And he did have some good saves. This was a team loss.

Howie

Greetings:

Leighton may have been at fault on 2 of the goals but the others were great shots and defensive lapses...or teammate assist on the way in off Talbot. After a two year layoff from the majors, I wouldn't get too harsh. And he did have some good saves. This was a team loss.

Howie

Quite frankly, I will be harsh on Leighton and I will also be harsh on the GM who thought that having a goalie two years removed from NHL play was an adequate backup for the Flyers while assigning a capable NHL quality backup to the AHL.

• Like 1

GM who thought that having a goalie two years removed from NHL play was an adequate backup for the Flyers while assigning a capable NHL quality backup to the AHL.

yep...that's the real "sin" here...just inexcusable from a fan's POV. Of course from a "bottom line" money-grubbing, goaltending-is-overrated POV it was a great pickup.

Did he 'get us there', or did a TREMENDOUS D led by Pronger, get us there, with him being the beneficiary? He was a one-trick pony, and since Chicago exposed him, he hasn't been NHL quality. I will admit though that the d played lazy last night, but he should not start another game in Orange and Black when every point is magnified in this type of season.

RAD:

I noted your concern as well...we don't develop good goalies.And I am not sure D is much better. We are a "forward-centric" club.

Howie

yep...that's the real "sin" here...just inexcusable from a fan's POV. Of course from a "bottom line" money-grubbing, goaltending-is-overrated POV it was a great pickup.

The Flyers save no money and no cap space by having Boosh in the A. None. At. All.

RAD:

I noted your concern as well...we don't develop good goalies.And I am not sure D is much better. We are a "forward-centric" club.

Howie

I'm not talking about developing goalies. I'm talking about playing the 36yo veteran backup with NHL experience the past two seasons over the 32yo journeyman who hasn't been in the league since 2010.

The Flyers save no money and no cap space by having Boosh in the A. None. At. All.

I'm not talking about developing goalies. I'm talking about playing the 36yo veteran backup with NHL experience the past two seasons over the 32yo journeyman who hasn't been in the league since 2010.

Rad: I do not know Homer's rationale for Leighton over Boosh. Your point is well-taken. But I still wonder about the organization's difficulties in building goaltenders.

Best,

Howie

Boosh has been rehabbing an injury. i know that is part of his plight in the A, I also think he's a far better influence on the young guys than Leighton would be at this point in their respective careers, boosh knows what he is, Leighton still thinks he can start in the NHL. Boosh would teach professionalism through is behavior alone, plus i'll bet he's a decent mentor.

Boosh has been rehabbing an injury. i know that is part of his plight in the A, I also think he's a far better influence on the young guys than Leighton would be at this point in their respective careers, boosh knows what he is, Leighton still thinks he can start in the NHL. Boosh would teach professionalism through is behavior alone, plus i'll bet he's a decent mentor.

Which begs the question of why Leighton is in the organization at all.

Starting at "why is he in the organization at all?" there's a Mighty Long Way until we get to the point where we can see in the far, far distance the turn in the road right before the Vast Expanse that lies before the Desolate Wasteland to be crossed before "it's not his fault they lost"

So, yeah, pack a lunch.

I will never understand why Leighton is with the Flyers. I don't get Holmgren's loyalty to him nor his nearly criminal misjudgment of his ability [sic]. Leighton should be cut and Holmgren should be fired for criminal negligence. Leighton has NO business in an NHL uniiform. There are other, better, choices out there.

• Like 1

I will never understand why Leighton is with the Flyers. I don't get Holmgren's loyalty to him nor his nearly criminal misjudgment of his ability [sic]. Leighton should be cut and Holmgren should be fired for criminal negligence. Leighton has NO business in an NHL uniiform. There are other, better, choices out there.

Agreed:

Roloson, Auld (in Europe), Conklin, Brent Johnson, Curtis Sanford (in Europe), Caron, John Grahame

source: nhlnumbers.com free agent page

@canoli

Ordinarily, I would tell you that any one of the choices doom listed would be a better option than Bob as backup.

But since you're clearly comparing to Leighton and since I thoroughly dislike Leighton, I'll simply nod in acknowledgement of your post and go back to finishing and sanctifying my Leighton voodoo doll.

If Leighton suddenly catches on fire, I'm sure it'll just be a coincidence.

well I realized (after I posted) that it would sound like a Bob vs Leighton comparison - and in a less-than-perfect world it would be. But we're talking about goaltending in FlyersLand and that is not only "less than perfect" it's a disaster.

In other words I'm (still) moaning and groaning about the Bryzgalov deal, which compelled the Flyers to throw Bob under the bus.

Actually I'm happy for Bob. Even if he is in a hockey wasteland at least he's getting NHL starts and the 2 Jackets' games I've watched he looked strong.