Report: Flyers' Meszaros out 4 weeks with shoulder injury

krasy

One day after losing Scott Hartnell for four-to-eight weeks with a broken foot, the Philadelphia Flyers have suffered another significant injury.

According to the Philadelphia Daily News, general manager Paul Holmgren stated that defenceman Andrej Meszaros, who was hurt on Thursday night against the Rangers, will miss "about a month" with a left shoulder injury.

The club will recall Andreas Lilja from AHL Adirondack to fill help fill the void.

The Flyers have just one win in four games so far this season and play next on Saturday in Florida against the Panthers.

per TSN

Edited by krasy

You asking about Mez injury or about Lilja playing D :P

Haha, I guess the same question goes for BOTH!!

I want no part of Lilja. SEriously, at least Foster has a good shot. I didn't notice him being that bad in the first 2 games that he was pulled for Gervais, but then again, the whole team around him was bad.

One day after losing Scott Hartnell for four-to-eight weeks with a broken foot, the Philadelphia Flyers have suffered another significant injury.

According to the Philadelphia Daily News, general manager Paul Holmgren stated that defenceman Andrej Meszaros, who was hurt on Thursday night against the Rangers, will miss "about a month" with a left shoulder injury.

The club will recall Andreas Lilja from AHL Adirondack to fill help fill the void.

The Flyers have just one win in four games so far this season and play next on Saturday in Florida against the Panthers.

per TSN

The Flyers are seriously going to have too look into a Mez replacement permanently. His injury problems, not too mention ANOTHER shoulder issue, isn't helping this team. A lineup with Foster, who im not a fan of, and Lilja who simply is a 8th defenseman on a team with 7, makes me sick thinking about it. Add to that Gervais, who has played well in 2 games, but lets be realistic as far as he's concerned. I can see a trade happening now that I dont want to see happen. If Montreal accepted Sean Couturier for Subban straight up, I think it happens. I love Couts but it's a lot easier finding a 2 way forward than a young, mobile, talented defenseman.

The Flyers are seriously going to have too look into a Mez replacement permanently. His injury problems, not too mention ANOTHER shoulder issue, isn't helping this team. A lineup with Foster, who im not a fan of, and Lilja who simply is a 8th defenseman on a team with 7, makes me sick thinking about it. Add to that Gervais, who has played well in 2 games, but lets be realistic as far as he's concerned. I can see a trade happening now that I dont want to see happen. If Montreal accepted Sean Couturier for Subban straight up, I think it happens. I love Couts but it's a lot easier finding a 2 way forward than a young, mobile, talented defenseman.

Cooter for Subban strait up....no way in hell......Thats not even fair man....Coots is going to be a superstar. Subban I don't really care for. Rather not trade away or future like we always do...
  • Like 2

Cooter for Subban strait up....no way in hell......Thats not even fair man....Coots is going to be a superstar. Subban I don't really care for. Rather not trade away or future like we always do...

I dont really like Subban either, unless he's on my team, but like it or not, he's a top young defenseman. Coot's beign a superstar I dont know, even though i love the kids game.

I dont really like Subban either, unless he's on my team, but like it or not, he's a top young defenseman. Coot's beign a superstar I dont know, even though i love the kids game.

Well for a rookie single handedly shutdown Malkin, Crosby and the rest of the Pissburgh greats I would say hes pretty special. I seriously doubt Subban could of done as well as Coots did last playoffs and Coots which you already know isnt a dman....

The Flyers are seriously going to have too look into a Mez replacement permanently.

Agreed. I really think they have no choice but to look very seriously into this. And not just Meszaros. I just can't see how this group of blueliners can even hang on in every game without just imploding. But my guess nothing will happen this season. Nothing significant that is. I think the Flyers will basically retool the defense this summer. And if it will be at the expense of Couturier or Schenn (and no, not Luke), they may have no choice.

This defense is hanging by the string in the air.

• Like 1

Well for a rookie single handedly shutdown Malkin, Crosby and the rest of the Pissburgh greats I would say hes pretty special. I seriously doubt Subban could of done as well as Coots did last playoffs and Coots which you already know isnt a dman....

Again, i'm not saying I don't like Coots, far from it. You're NOT getting a teams YOUNG stud defenseman for Brayden Schenn. Homer loved Richards and Carter as well, where are they now. Coots or G is what Montreal would want is my guess. If Coots does go for Subban, picks might be added as well by one team or another.

Again I think that's way too much credit to Couturier. Malkin did the same he always does in the playoffs. One of his better years as far as POints per Game in fact. Crosby was a hair lower than usual but was never really against Couturier.

I think your point on the idea of Couturier for Subban comes down to which player means more to your team in their position. If Subban weren't such a douchebag I think he'd be the favored player, but his immaturity and prima Donna status blur that drastically.

• Like 1

Again I think that's way too much credit to Couturier. Malkin did the same he always does in the playoffs. One of his better years as far as POints per Game in fact. Crosby was a hair lower than usual but was never really against Couturier.

In game 1, Malkin had no points.

In Game 2, Malkin had 2 assists, both on the PP.

In game 3, Malkin gets his first even strength point, an assist, along with one on the PP.

In game 4, Malkin finally gets a goal, netting a pair at even strength and adding an assist. Of those points, only the assist came against Couturier's line. The goals came against Giroux and Briere.

In game 5, he is held without a point.

In Game 6, he gets a power play goal.

You can't look to the power play points as evidence of how a particular player or line played in a shut down role, especially since Couturier wasn't likely to be the one going out against the Sid-Malkin PP combo, Talbot and Giroux were the first PK. Malkin didn't score an even strength goal against Couturier's line. So playing against Couturier, Malkin had two even strength points in the series. Sorry, that's not "too much credit."

• Like 1

In game 1, Malkin had no points.

In Game 2, Malkin had 2 assists, both on the PP.

In game 3, Malkin gets his first even strength point, an assist, along with one on the PP.

In game 4, Malkin finally gets a goal, netting a pair at even strength and adding an assist. Of those points, only the assist came against Couturier's line. The goals came against Giroux and Briere.

In game 5, he is held without a point.

In Game 6, he gets a power play goal.

You can't look to the power play points as evidence of how a particular player or line played in a shut down role, especially since Couturier wasn't likely to be the one going out against the Sid-Malkin PP combo, Talbot and Giroux were the first PK. Malkin didn't score an even strength goal against Couturier's line. So playing against Couturier, Malkin had two even strength points in the series. Sorry, that's not "too much credit."

And once again I would point out that its not unusual for Malkin to vanish early in the playoffs. It's more par for the course from him than you know. Do you really think Couturier was shadowing him the entire time? Every minute of every game? He was not. Any Pens fan who watches with regularity will tell you Malkin's playoff production is streaky at best.

And once again I would point out that its not unusual for Malkin to vanish early in the playoffs. It's more par for the course from him than you know. Do you really think Couturier was shadowing him the entire time? Every minute of every game? He was not. Any Pens fan who watches with regularity will tell you Malkin's playoff production is streaky at best.

Dude your making it out like Coots is an average player...look at his minor league styats...what 98 pts while playing with mono seriously hes going to be a great player why trade him, whats witht he hate...

Dude your making it out like Coots is an average player...look at his minor league styats...what 98 pts while playing with mono seriously hes going to be a great player why trade him, whats witht he hate...

No I never said that. I think he has good potential... top six at least. Maybe first line center material if he develops well. I just don't think he's this defensive monster so many of you guys do. Sorry, but I'm used to Malkin's play and didn't see anything special (defensively) in Couturier. If there were a statistical way to show you I would. all I can do is point to Malkin's stat history and show he had his second best playoff season against your Couturier... it's nothing unusual for him.

Would I trade him for Subban? Probably not, but that's more because I hate Subban than any reflection of their talents. They both show potential, so the question is which one do you need more? Which do you think will be more important to your team?

Edited by Polaris922