Rangers vs Flyers - 1/24/13

Digityman

Rangers Flyers Winner  

1. 1. What happens tonight? (Multiple Choice)

• Bryz stands on his head and steals a game for the Flyers
    • Lundqvist shows Bryz what a real goalie can do
    • Flyers' kids show real heart to keep the game competitive
    • Rangers walk all over the Flyers and crush their spirits
    • A very important Flyers' defensive goes down with an injury
    • Flyers look like they are skating in sand the first 10 minutes
    • Nash shows why it's important to have a winger that can finish on the top line

I fear this one is going to hurt.....

If a team is measured by its ability to handle adversity, we're about to learn a lot about the 2013 Philadelphia Flyers. Winless after three games of the lockout-shortened regular season, a depleted Flyers lineup faces a New York Rangers team that swept Philly in last year's regular season series. Tonight's game at the Wells Fargo Center starts at 7:00 p.m. and will be televised locally on CSN Philly and nationally on NHL Network.

This is the first of five meetings between the teams. Last year, the Rangers won all six games, including a 3-2 comeback victory at the Winter Classic.

The Flyers have scored a total of three goals in the three games to date. They've had problems on both ends of special teams and ongoing issues with defensive breakdowns. Philadelphia has spent too much time chasing the game thus far, and have faced multiple goal deficits at junctures of all three matches.

Now the team, which was already without Danny Briere (fractured wrist), has to deal with the Rangers without the services of Scott Hartnell or Brayden Schenn. Hartnell sustained a foot injury in Tuesday's 3-0 loss in New Jersey when he got hit by a shot from teammate Kimmo Timonen. He is out of the lineup indefinitely. Schenn received a one-game suspension yesterday for leaving his feet to deliver a check to New Jersey's Anton Volchenkov. He was not initially penalized for the hit, although it happened directly in front of one of the referees.

The Rangers stumbled out of the gates this season, too. They dropped their first two games last weekend before rebounding last night to squeak out a 4-3 overtime victory against the Boston Bruins. Marian Gaborik powered the Blueshirts with a hat trick, including the winning goal in the opening minute of overtime.

Even under ideal circumstances, it would be crucial for the Flyers not to play from behind against the Rangers. It is doubly imperative now with the team's offensive confidence at low ebb and so many key absences from the lineups.

Last season against the Rangers, the Flyers trailed first in five of the six games and lost all six in regulation. Overall against the league, the Rangers went 30-0-3 when leading after two periods a year ago (35-5-3 when scoring the game's first goal) after going 29-0-0 the previous year. Add in last night's win against the Bruins and the Rangers, and the Rangers are 60-0-3 when leading after two periods since the start of the 2010-11 season.

However, the Rangers didn't exactly slam the door on the Bruins last night. New York blew leads of 2-0 and 3-2 last night before Gaborik rescued a second point from the game. John Tortorella significantly shortened his bench during the game, so perhaps that could end up working to the Flyers' benefit tonight with the Rangers on the back end of tilts on consecutive nights. The Flyers themselves may end up having to shorten the bench tonight.

Out of the nine periods of hockey they've played thus far, the Flyers have had three good ones. They have yet to score a first or third period goal and they've trailed by a pair of 2-0 scores (against Pittsburgh and New Jersey) and 1-0 (versus Buffalo) heading to the first intermission. That's not a formula for success in the NHL.

Neither the Flyers nor Rangers will hold a morning skate today, so it is not yet known how Philly will shuffle around lines or whom if anyone the Flyers might call up from the Phantoms. Briere skated in Hartnell's spot on Claude Giroux's line at practice yesterday, but he is "officially" not expected to be ready to play before the weekend. Fourth liner Zac Rinaldo (leg laceration) is out for about two weeks.

If the team makes a roster callup from Adirondack for tonight's game, I would think that Harry Zolnierczyk or rookie Marcel Noebels would be the player who gets tabbed.

Projected Starting Lineups (subject to change; Flyers lineup is likely to look different)

FLYERS

17 Wayne Simmonds - 28 Claude Giroux - 93 Jakub Voracek

26 Ruslan Fedotenko - 14 Sean Couturier - 24 Matt Read

25 Max Talbot - 21 Scott Laughton - 32 Tom Sestito

15 Tye McGinn - 11 Eric Wellwood - 45 Jody Shelley

44 Kimmo Timonen - 22 Luke Schenn

8 Nicklas Grossmann - 5 Braydon Coburn

41 Andrej Meszaros - 27 Bruno Gervais

30 Ilya Bryzgalov

[49 Michael Leighton]

Rangers

10 Marian Gaborik - 19 Brad Richards - 61 Rick Nash

20 Chris Kreider - 21 Derek Stepan - 24 Ryan Callahan

62 Carl Hagelin - 22 Brian Boyle - 14 Taylor Pyatt

17 Mike Rupp - 15 Jeff Halpern - 41 Stu Bickel

27 Ryan McDonagh - 5 Dan Girardi

18 Marc Staal - 4 Michael Del Zotto

44 Steve Eminger - 6 Anton Stralman

43 Martin Biron/ 30 Henrik Lundqvist

Look at that 3rd and 4th line.

Wow.

Doesn't look good for our guys in O & B.

Hoping for the best BUT expecting the worst.......

I see a 4-1 beat down by the Rangers...

Missing Briere / Schenn / Hartnell.......who are they gonna call up?

1. What I would I would like to see....Have the Flyers play a full 60 mins! Not come out flat like there usual MO is during the opening minutes of the game.
  2. Show some fight even if they go down early.
  3. .Asking too much here...but some nice crisp passing and just maybe a PP goal or two.
  4. A little stability by the "D"
  5. going way out on the limb here...Bryz keeping the game close so that the Flyers might me able to steal a game.

Feel free to add to the list ....what would like to expect or see tonight?.....(besides the obvious win of course).....

Yeah I am not too confident for tonight. Nothing changed in our play vs the Debbies since last year's playoffs why should anything change vs the Rags? Combine that with the fact that we are down 2 men, our player's confidence is shot alreadt and they have a world class goalie and we have someone who is paid like a world class goalie but doesnt play like one....I would say we are in for a rough night. I would say our only hope is if Biron is given the start to give Lunkhead a rest. I am thinking though since the Rags got off to a slow start that they dont want to risk giving away 2 points vs the Flyers and they will not do this. Right now I think that Marty is our best hope.

Here's hoping I am totally off in my prediction that I have to come on here tomorrw and explain what I fool I was to think that. I dunno when the Rags wanted to turn it on last night vs the Bruins they did so and that scared me a bit watching it.

Lundqvist is human as we saw last night. That third goal was absolute garbage. The Flyers need to come out hard and slow down the Rangers game. I would use Coots to shutdown the Rangers top line (Should they decide to use Gaborik, Nash, Richards on their top line). Talbot on his wing may not be a bad idea either. Simmonds on the top line with Giroux could prove to be interesting.

My key would be to not let the Rangers cycle the puck low. Keep most of the shots from the parameter. And for the love of God, please defense communicate with your goaltender.

The Flyers can win this, but they need to play a hard nosed defensive game. Too bad Lavy won't see it that way

So what are the best lines for tonights game? Who plays with Giroux?

I liked the intensity that Read put out there ito start the game with the Devils and I think I'd move him up to the top line with Giroux and probably Simmonds or Jake.

Why not put Laughton up with Cooter and Read? Let's see what the kid can do. Yes, I'm serious.

If anything, Cooter needs to step back to the 3rd line. He has not looked good at all, albeit it has only been 3 games. Briere needs to come back soon so Cooter can take a bit of a back seat.

If anything, Cooter needs to step back to the 3rd line. He has not looked good at all, albeit it has only been 3 games. Briere needs to come back soon so Cooter can take a bit of a back seat.

In this case, I'd rather be patient. Cooter has earned some respect, let's see if he can get himself out of his mini slump. It's only game four and over a half year since playing with these line mates.

In this case, I'd rather be patient. Cooter has earned some respect, let's see if he can get himself out of his mini slump. It's only game four and over a half year since playing with these line mates.

That's true. Though he has played quite a few games in the AHL. At any rate, he is not a 2nd line center at this stage. He belongs on the 3rd line when Briere returns, where there is a little less pressure on him.

That's true. Though he has played quite a few games in the AHL. At any rate, he is not a 2nd line center at this stage. He belongs on the 3rd line when Briere returns, where there is a little less pressure on him.

Do you think he will be able to develop his offense on the third line with those line mates? I'm not sure, and I want him to reach his full potential.

Do you think he will be able to develop his offense on the third line with those line mates? I'm not sure, and I want him to reach his full potential.

I wouldn't worry too much about him on the 3rd line this year. He's just 19 years old, and starting his second NHL season. He'll have some growing pains, and there's nothing wrong with bringing him along on the 3rd line with less offensive pressure. He can focus on his defensive game, which was impressive last year. Over time, he'll start to play with better players, probably in two years when Briere is off the payroll. At 21, he will still be incredibly young!

I just wouldn't want to put him in a position now where we rely on him for offense.

@brelic I would say Couts looked a little average 5 0n 5, but his work on the pk was outstanding. He had a few penalty kills that were wicked good.

Yeah, a few goals against were his primary fault, but he has done some nice work on the PK... if a 45% PK is considered good these days ;) But I do know what you mean.

Doesn't look good for our guys in O & B.

Hoping for the best BUT expecting the worst.......

I see a 4-1 beat down by the Rangers...

Missing Briere / Schenn / Hartnell.......who are they gonna call up?

1. What I would I would like to see....Have the Flyers play a full 60 mins! Not come out flat like there usual MO is during the opening minutes of the game.
  2. Show some fight even if they go down early.
  3. .Asking too much here...but some nice crisp passing and just maybe a PP goal or two.
  4. A little stability by the "D"
  5. going way out on the limb here...Bryz keeping the game close so that the Flyers might me able to steal a game.

Feel free to add to the list ....what would like to expect or see tonight?.....(besides the obvious win of course).....

You say #5 is going way out on a limb but its the only thing you've listed that's already happened., Bryz played well enough to keep you in it at least two of the games... Maybe even all three. Your other points are more worrisome I think!

You say #5 is going way out on a limb but its the only thing you've listed that's already happened., Bryz played well enough to keep you in it at least two of the games... Maybe even all three. Your other points are more worrisome I think!

I hear what you are saying...however Bryz does have a habit of letting goals get to him. Of course this assesment is based on last season ..you are right.Bryz has kept us close..he has played ok...not great or steller.

I suspect the story may be how well Bryz played stopping 78 shots, but that the Rangers still scored 7 goals... I expect unfortunately to see some Flyer D-men severely undressed tonight.

I asked Carchidi why Gervais was in and Foster out... and he tweeted his response to me that it's because they're underwhelmed with him.

It took all of 2 games. Unbelievable.

What a surprise... Another brilliant acquisition by our GM. So he actually lost his spot to a stiff like Gervais. Scary and pathetic at the same time.

I asked Carchidi why Gervais was in and Foster out... and he tweeted his response to me that it's because they're underwhelmed with him.

It took all of 2 games. Unbelievable.

Carchidi isn't a journalist, he opines too much. Is Gormley still at DelCo? Facts matter!