The Rook (Laughton)

Guest flyercanuck

I don't think this falls into the "hindsight 20/20" category 2 games into one players career.

I really like what I see out of laughton so far. But if Maata is equally as good, or better, it isn't a wise choice. We NEED defencemen. A nice start by Holmgrens choice though.

I don't think this falls into the "hindsight 20/20" category 2 games into one players career.

I really like what I see out of laughton so far. But if Maata is equally as good, or better, it isn't a wise choice. We NEED defencemen. A nice start by Holmgrens choice though.

Yeah I guess "hindsight 20/20" is not a good term in this case...my bad...

Laughton has been good so far. I heard Pierre say yesterday that he thinks the Flyers will keep him beyond his 5 game stint. I don't think that's going to happen, however. There is little reward in doing so this season and burning a year of his entry level contract. I think he goes back to juniors and we give him a shot with the big club full time next year.

Oh whoops I thought that this thread was about chess. (Rxa4) ;) I had planned to discuss Morphy's defense but I guess I will save it for another thread.

Wait let me save you the trouble....

REPORTED!

Edited by Poulin20

Laughton has been good so far. I heard Pierre say yesterday that he thinks the Flyers will keep him beyond his 5 game stint. I don't think that's going to happen, however. There is little reward in doing so this season and burning a year of his entry level contract. I think he goes back to juniors and we give him a shot with the big club full time next year.

absolutely. burn a full year on a 48 game season? And one where the Flyers appear to be building not making a run seems to further enhance that point. He looks great and could easily earn a spot in the lineup but I agree with you, there is almost nothing to gain by burning up a year on his deal for this season so why bother? Give him the 5 game taste and then let him compete for a roster spot next season.

Nobody is happy with an 0-2 start to the season...but there are some positives. Giroux looks like he's picking up where he left off. Bryz has looked average as opposed to horrible. Foster seems like a nice addition, nothing great but i'll take him.

But one bright spot (in only 2 games) has been the play of 18 year old Scott Laughton, the Flyers first pick in the draft. He works hard every shift. He plays pretty smart hockey without the puck. He's also shown some nice skill with the puck. With a little luck he could have easily had a goal, maybe two yesterday. I still think we should have taken Maata. But I hope this kid proves me wrong.

Happy about Laughton,Simmonds and G, Everyone else is average or below so far. Foster too me is very unimpressive. He doesnt use his size and he plays stiff and slow. He's not a permanent guy I hope. I wish the guy well because he had one hell of an experience when he got hurt

Thought Laughton had another decent game last night. Maybe it's just how bad everyone else is playing, but he looked like one of the few who actually cared. He definately works hard and cares when the play goes the other way. He's showing some good skill offensively too.

@flyercanuck

He's definitely noticable out there and not in a bad way. He's a hard worker and doesn't look out of place out there. I still think he goes back to juniors. The impression I got was that he would play for a week (5 games) and then get sent down and Danny B would be near ready to go by then. Once Danny B comes back there really isn't a spot in the lineup for him.

Nobody is happy with an 0-2 start to the season...but there are some positives. Giroux looks like he's picking up where he left off. Bryz has looked average as opposed to horrible. Foster seems like a nice addition, nothing great but i'll take him.

But one bright spot (in only 2 games) has been the play of 18 year old Scott Laughton, the Flyers first pick in the draft. He works hard every shift. He plays pretty smart hockey without the puck. He's also shown some nice skill with the puck. With a little luck he could have easily had a goal, maybe two yesterday. I still think we should have taken Maata. But I hope this kid proves me wrong.

This season is not looking good for me. Don't want to use up a year of Laughton's contract on this sorry looking team so far .Sign me a good old fashioned brawler so I can be somewhat entertained :P .... Considering Shelley blocks a lot of punches with his face, maybe he can play goal and block pucks :lol:

@flyercanuck

He's definitely noticable out there and not in a bad way. He's a hard worker and doesn't look out of place out there. I still think he goes back to juniors. The impression I got was that he would play for a week (5 games) and then get sent down and Danny B would be near ready to go by then. Once Danny B comes back there really isn't a spot in the lineup for him.

Up until today I would say that you are right but with Harts out indefinitely with a foot injury it may force the Flyers hand to keep him up. I hope not because I dont want to waste a year of his contract on this joke of a season but it wouldnt surprise me.