2013 Bryzgalov Evaluation Thread (Buyout or no)

Digityman

it can't be "and". maybe the flyers are 4 years from finding someone, but the possibility for even that expires when the get out of jail free option expires.

Yeah, my bad. I wouldn't want to be carrying Bryz if we decide to go another direction!!

wait, really? i didn't know that. are you sure? if that's the case, then sure, take your time. the paper-thinness on the blueline these days means bryzgalov's performance ceiling of the 2nd round isn't hurting anything, so if taking an extra season makes it easier to swallow, then go for it. i've just never heard the window was any larger than next summer.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=413753

Under the terms of the new CBA, teams are provided with a total of two amnesty buyouts ahead of the next two seasons. Once bought out, the player's cap hit won't count against the salary cap. This is new. Under the old CBA, a buyout counted against a team's salary cap. So the amnesty buyout is designed to act as a relief valve for teams, particularly with the salary cap dropping from $70.2 million this season to $64.3 million next season.

the sooner the better - for many reasons.

But is it true teams are allowed to wait till the end of next season to exercise the option? I guess I just assumed all buyouts had to be complete before next season starts, and that what you don't use you lose.

[edit: Great. Well there ya go -learn something new every day! thanks for the info Brel]

Edited by canoli

the way I read it we have till October 2014 to get rid of Bryzgalov. The point of the buyouts is to ease teams into the lower cap so it makes sense to give them this 1/2 season (the cap hasn't decreased at all) and all of next season to figure things out - in anticipation of a much lower cap beginning the 2014/15 season. Right?

@brelic hm. i read that to be the next two seasons, meaning the one that started last saturday (but two days after the article) and the next one starting next october. i could be totally wrong on that, though.

I think it has to do with the drop to 64.3 then to 60 the following year is why they are giving the 2 years for the buyouts..

@brelic hm. i read that to be the next two seasons, meaning the one that started last saturday (but two days after the article) and the next one starting next october. i could be totally wrong on that, though.

No, it was to be at the end of this season and the end of the season after that. There were to be no buyouts until the end of this season, but because it looked a little ridiculous to have Redden and Gomez sitting at home collecting money and not allowed to play anywhere, they altered the amnesty buyout rule to allow immediate ones as well. But of course it counts toward the 2 that each team has.

So a lot of you talk about what a head case Bryz is and how it impacts him on the ice AND the rest of the team, then you're thinking about major head case Tim Thomas? Who felt taking a year off was important enough to abandon his team for an entire season?! How is THAT going to sit in the back of the minds in the locker room?!

the way I read it we have till October 2014 to get rid of Bryzgalov. The point of the buyouts is to ease teams into the lower cap so it makes sense to give them this 1/2 season (the cap hasn't decreased at all) and all of next season to figure things out - in anticipation of a much lower cap beginning the 2014/15 season. Right?

I believe so. The ability for teams to buyout now was only granted about a week ago. So if it was written as '2 seasons,' it must refer to the end of the 13/14 season. Thats good. It would be nice to take the time to target an appropriate replacement rather than another stop-gap guy.

So a lot of you talk about what a head case Bryz is and how it impacts him on the ice AND the rest of the team, then you're thinking about major head case Tim Thomas? Who felt taking a year off was important enough to abandon his team for an entire season?! How is THAT going to sit in the back of the minds in the locker room?!

You're glossing over the missing link in Tim Thomas' discomfort with Boston - Jeremy Jacobs and the management of the team.

This is a guy who won the Cup with the same misgivings, but has clearly found enough is enough.

One could say that Thomas went Galt on Galt.

New Jersey scores two in the first - the second goal, a deflection off Fedetenko, not much Bryz could do. The first goal though is a little disappointing even though he was left hanging by the D. Hartnell is alone in front of Brodeur and Marty makes the save. Zajac is alone in front of Bryz and the Devils get the 1-0 lead in under a minute and a half. It's practically gauranteed. Come on, Bryz, stonewall these guys. Doesn't bode well for a shootout situation.

And now he misses a penalty shot. That's just a simple one-on-one. It's all on the goalie.....unless you argue he shouldn't have been put in the position to have to make the stop in the first place. Regardless, he was, and was found wanting. Reminds me of a Bible verse ---- Thou art weighed in the balances, and art found wanting.

I really don't think buying Bryz out is about the money. To the best of my knowledge Snider has always been willing to pay key members of the Flyers more than adequate pay. Most of the time he overpays, because he can. There are 11 goalies in the league right now that make 5M or more.

I agree that the evaluation of Bryz is based upon the question -- Is Bryz the answer for the Flyers Goaltending for the next "7" years following this season? Bryz will be in his late 30's and I believe there won't be a means of dumping his cap hit in Europe....as per the real and most likely "plan" at the time of his signing.

We have No quality goaltending in the Flyers organization. NONE Maybe there is still hope for Stolarz in a few years, but still.....the cupboard is empty.

Smith and Howard are FAs this summer, but I fully expect both players to sign with their respective current organizations prior to Free Agency. Backstrom is 34 will probably re sign in MN, especially if that team makes a run in the playoffs. Maybe Mason out of Columbus is looking for a new start on another team, but unless they are going to trade for one, FA pickings next summer are slim.

It is going to be a tough decision and if Bryz takes this team several rounds into the playoffs later this spring.....I doubt the Flyers will buy him out.

What about Tim Thomas for a couple of years, I'm sure with taking this year off he'd be chopping at the bit to get back to playing hockey. Isn't he a free agent this coming summer?

You're glossing over the missing link in Tim Thomas' discomfort with Boston - Jeremy Jacobs and the management of the team.

This is a guy who won the Cup with the same misgivings, but has clearly found enough is enough.

One could say that Thomas went Galt on Galt.

Not glossing at all... it's that his heart should be with his teammates regardless of what management does. Period. THAT is an issue.

And now he misses a penalty shot. That's just a simple one-on-one. It's all on the goalie.....unless you argue he shouldn't have been put in the position to have to make the stop in the first place. Regardless, he was, and was found wanting. Reminds me of a Bible verse ---- Thou art weighed in the balances, and art found wanting.

A penalty shot? You're going to hold it against him that a penalty shot, by Kovalchuk no less, was scored? On a great backhand shot after some slick moves? Wow... you don't want a good goaltender... you want a miracle goaltender. You want to blame someone try the overrated Timonen who never saw Kovalchuk get behind him then was not up to the task of catching him. ;)

GM# 3 - Flyers vs Devils - 1/22/2013

Goal #1

Piss poor coverage by the Flyers. 5 guys on one side of the ice. Not Bryz's fault.

Would have been nice if he came up with that glove save - highlight reel stuff.

Goal #2

Off of Rusty the Rosy Cheeked Russian's skate (thanks for that whoever thought of it). 3rd time in 3 games a goal went in off of a Flyer from a deflection.

Bryz needs to hold on to his stick a little better. With a stick that might have been stopped from getting out front.

Goal #3

1 on 1 against one of the best finishers in hockey.

Yea he might have went down early but who wouldn't?

Result: Average game by Bryz but a below-average to horrible game by the team.

Bryz made some nice saves and really didn't let in a back breaker.

Agree?

View game #2 video

View game #4 video

@Digityman

Agree with all but the second point about his stick. It gets dragged behind the net with the Devils forward and I think if he'd held into it it left him open to a penalty, if he could even do so. Looks like it wrenches out of his hand pretty violently. Really Bryz isn't a godsend in there but he's made some pretty good saves and kept your boys in games your team didnt seem interested in.