2013 Bryzgalov Evaluation Thread (Buyout or no)

Digityman

The second goal by the Pens was clearly a screened shot. Watch his reaction time. The puck is pretty much moving past him before he moves, which means he either didn't see it or he was clinically dead. He made some big saves in that game for you guys just as Fleury did for us. His play prevented a 5 or 6-1 outcome in my opinion the way your defense played.

BUY OUT BRYZGALOV - please do. No matter how he looks, what he does this year.

What is the point of putting together a young, hungry team with a fiery HC who loves Attack-style hockey...and then staffing the most important position with an aging head-case goalie who's best attribute is being part of a SC-winning team 7 years ago? He won some games for the Ducks that year; he had a good PO run. But it's basically been downhill ever since.

Why we ever picked this clown to be our franchise goalie...well we know why - out of fear and panic by Ed and Co. So they bury Bob - a guy who fit in perfectly with the "young, hungry" theme of the club - and bring in a Mr. Personality-type who is more anti-Flyers' hockey than anyone who's ever laced em up in Philly.

Face it, it was a mistake signing him to any deal, much less the ridiculous "best goalie in the NHL" money and terms we gave him. Cut the cord and be done with him ASAP.

Replace him with anyone (except Leighton) and right away we become a better T-E-A-M.

(to be fair, maybe "Bryz" has turned over a new leaf and he's now the consummate team guy...maybe. If so it would be a remarkable, come-to-Jesus turnaround.)

• Like 2

It is going to be a tough decision and if Bryz takes this team several rounds into the playoffs later this spring.....I doubt the Flyers will buy him out.

well, of course. and if he comes up with a new gene therapy technique that cures all known ailments, he'll get nobel prizes and stuff. two things we all know about bryzgalov: one: he is not a world renowned biochemist, and two: he does not get his teams several rounds into the playoffs (except in relief or when the opposing goalie craps the bed to a historical degree).

but if Bryz plays as well as he has the last two games over the course of this season, I don't see the Flyers buying him out.

gotta disagree there. no, he wasn't terrible. he also wasn't of a quality that justifies a contract that in essence says, "this is our guy, period, we're going with him no matter what." that's the problem. bryzgalov's cap hit and contract term -and the reduced cap ceiling- mean the flyers can not afford to shop for an upgrade. with him around, he is the flyers' starter, end of story. holmgren will not be looking for an upgrade via trade, and any promising kids that should come through the system will be seen as trade bait, not actual options in net. a la bobrovsky. you can not long-term bench a guy who takes up 10% of your team's cap space. you can't build an effective team on the back of that kind of misappropriation.

no, it isn't about the money, it is about sticking to a poor choice and commitment when presented with an out.

yes, if bryzgalov becomes an amazing goalie out of the blue, sure, they'll keep him. if he continues to look like a thoroughly average goalie, one who is good enough given no other choice but isn't going to work any miracles for you, he's gone. it just makes no sense to stick with him if the same level of goaltending is available at half the price. and it is.

well, of course. and if he comes up with a new gene therapy technique that cures all known ailments, he'll get nobel prizes and stuff. two things we all know about bryzgalov: one: he is not a world renowned biochemist, and two: he does not get his teams several rounds into the playoffs (except in relief or when the opposing goalie craps the bed to a historical degree).

gotta disagree there. no, he wasn't terrible. he also wasn't of a quality that justifies a contract that in essence says, "this is our guy, period, we're going with him no matter what." that's the problem. bryzgalov's cap hit and contract term -and the reduced cap ceiling- mean the flyers can not afford to shop for an upgrade. with him around, he is the flyers' starter, end of story. holmgren will not be looking for an upgrade via trade, and any promising kids that should come through the system will be seen as trade bait, not actual options in net. a la bobrovsky. you can not long-term bench a guy who takes up 10% of your team's cap space. you can't build an effective team on the back of that kind of misappropriation.

no, it isn't about the money, it is about sticking to a poor choice and commitment when presented with an out.

yes, if bryzgalov becomes an amazing goalie out of the blue, sure, they'll keep him. if he continues to look like a thoroughly average goalie, one who is good enough given no other choice but isn't going to work any miracles for you, he's gone. it just makes no sense to stick with him if the same level of goaltending is available at half the price. and it is.

See for me this makes perfect, logical sense and I agree that it is probably the most rational, logical choice.

Now, whether The Flyers make the rational, logical choice is another discussion altogether...

I, for one, think that's a 50/50 proposition - at best.

Smith and Howard are FAs this summer, but I fully expect both players to sign with their respective current organizations prior to Free Agency. Backstrom is 34 will probably re sign in MN, especially if that team makes a run in the playoffs. Maybe Mason out of Columbus is looking for a new start on another team, but unless they are going to trade for one, FA pickings next summer are slim.

I brought this up before in the shoutbox...Timmy Thomas is up after this year as well..If I'm the Flyers, I look into him for 1-2 years, until the UFA market frees up additional goal-tending talent. However, it would be a 35+ deal, and that scares me a bit.

• Like 1

I brought this up before in the shoutbox...Timmy Thomas is up after this year as well..If I'm the Flyers, I look into him for 1-2 years, until the UFA market frees up additional goal-tending talent. However, it would be a 35+ deal, and that scares me a bit.

I thought we went down this road before...Exhibit A --> the beezer Vanbiesbrock. How did that work out. I'm with you DGG. Another contract for a 35+ yr old player does not sit well with me.

I thought we went down this road before...Exhibit A --> the beezer Vanbiesbrock. How did that work out. I'm with you DGG. Another contract for a 35+ yr old player does not sit well with me.

A contract to a 35yo and no concurrent plan to develop young talent would be a tragic mistake and one that we're all far too familiar with.

Exhibit A --> the beezer Vanbiesbrock. How did that work out. I'm with you DGG. Another contract for a 35+ yr old player does not sit well with me.

can't really see the harm in a 1 year deal. as get-rid-of-bryzgalov as i am, there is no obvious replacement for him on the horizon. someone would have to get the flyers through a season or two of shopping.

• Like 1

As @aziz said, buying out Bryz, talking to Thomas about signing a 1-2 year deal to give Flyers brass some breathing room to make a calm, rational decision about who is going to backstop this young team - whether through draft, FA or if all else fails - trade.

This makes perfect sense to me and I would be all in favor of it.

As @aziz said, buying out Bryz, talking to Thomas about signing a 1-2 year deal to give Flyers brass some breathing room to make a calm, rational decision about who is going to backstop this young team - whether through draft, FA or if all else fails - trade.

I guess I'm just worried about paying out too much $$$ for his services. (If Thomas is a legit option at this point). Maybe the new CBA will help control that. I don't know. Your answer (putting aside all biases and emotions) does make sense. Let's play the "IF" game. "IF" the Flyers went down this road, and signed the services of one Timmy Thomas, does he make this team a legit threat during the playoffs next year. (I know..hard to gauge since we don't know who is coming or going next year)

Is it possible to have a one year deal with the second year as an option year? Contractually I don't know if that would be allowed...

NO thanks on Thomas. After sitting out a year, who knows what he'd be like.

But that's the beauty of signing him to a year contract (ie: Jagr, Zherdev....)

If he sucks, the Flyers are back to where they are at now. If they don't buyout Bryz this year and he sucks in contract year 3,4,5,6 or 7 then they can't do anything.

The risks of signing Thomas after sitting out a year > Not buying out Bryz.

The only thing the Flyers need to do is buy time until there is either a quality goalie to be had via FA, Development or Trade (preferably not trade).

I guess I'm just worried about paying out too much $$$ for his services. (If Thomas is a legit option at this point). Maybe the new CBA will help control that. I don't know. Your answer (putting aside all biases and emotions) does make sense. Let's play the "IF" game. "IF" the Flyers went down this road, and signed the services of one Timmy Thomas, does he make this team a legit threat during the playoffs next year. (I know..hard to gauge since we don't know who is coming or going next year)

If he stays in shape and is eager to get back in the game, I would think that he is an upgrade to Bryz 6 days out of 7.

If he stays in shape and is eager to get back in the game, I would think that he is an upgrade to Bryz 6 days out of 7.

doesn't matter if he is. if bryzgalov only had two years left on his deal, i'd say keep him around while looking for long term solutions. he has way more left, though, so gotta go. if thomas (or anyone else) were a one-for-one swap talent-wise with bryzgalov, that's fine. i mean, not fine, but it is what it'll take to actually fix that position eventually.

i can't believe there's any debate about Bryzgalov. It was a mistake, we've been "gifted" 2 Get Outta Jail Free cards courtesy of the new CBA, one of them has to go to Bryzgalov.

But the beauty of that gift is that we have 2 seasons to redeem it. At the end of this season, or at the end of the next season. I'm not a fan of Bryz either, but now that those options are on the table, it makes no sense to do anything unless a) we're sure that the Bryz we saw last year is the best he'll be, and b) we actually have a plan to get a 'better' goaltender.

Keep in mind how subjective 'better' is. Is Thomas a 'better' goaltender? Statistically, over his career, in *Boston*, no doubt. Would he do the same, at his age, with a year off, in Philly under Laviolette? I'm not convinced at all. In fact, we see all over the league that the particular goaltender matters less than the system in which they're playing. There are obvious exceptions for the 4-5 elite goaltenders of the league, but for the rest, it's how your team plays around you, and how the system is run.

So, I say hang on to the Get-Bryz-Outta-Philly-Free card until we are absolutely sure. Even with a 'better' goaltender, this team is average at best.

• Like 1

it makes no sense to do anything unless a) we're sure that the Bryz we saw last year is the best he'll be, and b) we actually have a plan to get a 'better' goaltender.

it can't be "and". maybe the flyers are 4 years from finding someone, but the possibility for even that expires when the get out of jail free option expires.

edit:

But the beauty of that gift is that we have 2 seasons to redeem it. At the end of this season, or at the end of the next season.

wait, really? i didn't know that. are you sure? if that's the case, then sure, take your time. the paper-thinness on the blueline these days means bryzgalov's performance ceiling of the 2nd round isn't hurting anything, so if taking an extra season makes it easier to swallow, then go for it. i've just never heard the window was any larger than next summer.

Edited by aziz
  • Like 1

But why wait - if it's even close and that's the direction we want to go - because wouldn't we lose the cap hit sooner if he was bought out at the end of this season? And then we could start applying that savings to some other need more quickly - either a new goaltender or defense. If it's even questionable, then I say pull the trigger sooner rather than later.