Bryz or Leighton vs Buffalo?

Guest hf101

22 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you start in Game 2?

now I know the moderators have to do their "hockey forum duties" and provide content to this board (and a damn fine job they do of it!!!) but this questions should not be asked unless Bryz is in a full body cast or unconscious.... :P

Our goalie rotation should go Bryz, Boosh, Jody Shelly THEN Leighton......

Edited by MaineFlyFan

@MaineFlyFan

.....I asked the question for legit reasons. For one, even though Bryz played in the KHL he didn't play that many games, and I doubt he started any b2bs. As I said Bryz played well, is there a let down after a tough loss to the Pens? Bryz has had confidence issues in the past. Say he starts today and loses again to a fresh Sabres team. Does he lose confidence, and how might that affect him to start off this season?

On the other hand Leighton needs to play sometimes also, Bryz goes down with an injury and this team hasn't given any playing time to Leighton.

I surely doubt Leighton will get the playing time say that Bob got last year, but in a traditional sense most coaches play the backup in b2b games, just saying.

@hf101

If Bryz loses his confidence today, they may as well buy him out tonight. The guy needs to show he isn't the flake he was last year. I'm not saying he needs to win, but it's only the 2nd game of the season. He will need some rest cause even though it's only a 48 game season, it is compressed. He will get tired, but right now he needs to play.

• Like 1

@hf101

If Bryz loses his confidence today, they may as well buy him out tonight. The guy needs to show he isn't the flake he was last year. I'm not saying he needs to win, but it's only the 2nd game of the season. He will need some rest cause even though it's only a 48 game season, it is compressed. He will get tired, but right now he needs to play.

Agree, and the Flyers have a condensed schedule to start off the season. We have the Devils on Tues, Rangers on Thurs, and another b2b next weekend with the Panthers and Lightning. That is 6 games in 9 days. Leighton will need to start one of those games. Without playing the Western conference the backup goalies are going to play some critical games.

Maybe last year was more of a fluke in that Bryz had to share more of his game time than that he was used to with Phoenix. Laviolette is also a coach who prefers to keep the hot hand in net. I do think Bryz should start today, but there are valid reasons to also give the start to Leighton.

@MaineFlyFan

.....I asked the question for legit reasons. For one, even though Bryz played in the KHL he didn't play that many games, and I doubt he started any b2bs. As I said Bryz played well, is there a let down after a tough loss to the Pens? Bryz has had confidence issues in the past. Say he starts today and loses again to a fresh Sabres team. Does he lose confidence, and how might that affect him to start off this season?

On the other hand Leighton needs to play sometimes also, Bryz goes down with an injury and this team hasn't given any playing time to Leighton.

I surely doubt Leighton will get the playing time say that Bob got last year, but in a traditional sense most coaches play the backup in b2b games, just saying.

This season is not traditional. One of the big things surrounding Bryz when they brought him here was that he played nearly every game. More importantly, that's what he wanted. If he is an elite goaltender (and the jury is out on that), then 48 out of 48 should not be an issue for him. The fact that Leighton is his backup is proof enough to me that the Flyers are comitted to him being in there every game this season.

These guys are millionaire athletes...the top in the sport ... if he can't pull this off, he should be sent packing

This season is not traditional. One of the big things surrounding Bryz when they brought him here was that he played nearly every game. More importantly, that's what he wanted. If he is an elite goaltender (and the jury is out on that), then 48 out of 48 should not be an issue for him. The fact that Leighton is his backup is proof enough to me that the Flyers are comitted to him being in there every game this season.

These guys are millionaire athletes...the top in the sport ... if he can't pull this off, he should be sent packing

No, I'm pretty sure the jury is in. He's played about 60 games as a Flyer. He's looked "elite" in a handful. He's looked average in about half. He's looked horrible in the rest. That ain't elite in any stretch of the imagination.

Im not disagreeing. My use of the term was to point out that HE might think he is elite. If so, then he needs to prove it. He needs to take the lion's share of this season, my guess would be 42 out of 48, and carry this team like a goalie should. If he needs to be papmpered and cared after in a shortened season then that's just more proof that he was a bad signing

I don't expect Bryz to play all 48 games. Why? No other team will play their starter all 48.

Just thought I'd add this comment not necessarily to just you, Coach,...... but the goalies that started b2b games over the weekend all lost the second game. The teams that played both tenders won game 2.

@MaineFlyFan

Hey HF101,

My post was purely mindless dribble and a bad shot at "being a smart ass". Your question was obliviously a legit one.....

I of course understand the concept of getting your back-up some playing time.....and B2B is usually the time they do it. I just have ZERO faith in Leighton as an NHL goalie and wish he was back in Adirondack. And further more, I think we should give Bryz all the work he wants as he has stated MANY times how much work he got in Phoniex....how he likes playing a lot of games.....etc. He's played very well in my opinion and I think we "rest him" next B2B.

I can't believe I'm about to type this, but goaltending is the LEAST of our problems right now! :)

Carry on....

Edited by MaineFlyFan

@MaineFlyFan

But that is what is concerning imo, why isn't there any confidence in Leighton? Holmgren must have some. Why should we think that Leighton cannot give his team a chance to win if played? The last two seasons with the Phantoms he had a .928 and .918 save percentage. That seems decent enough imo to play some back to back games especially when we play 6 games in 9 nights.