Giroux gets the "C"

JackStraw

Would have given it to Timo myself, but Giroux is a pretty obvious choice.

To the surprise of no one, the Flyers named Claude Giroux the 19th captain in franchise history on Tuesday night.

‘G’ officially has the ‘C.’

Kimmo Timonen will serve as the Flyers’ associate captain, with Danny Briere and Scott Hartnell serving as alternates.

“Claude is the undisputed leader of this team,” Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren said in a statement. “He always exhibits a tremendous work ethic in games and practices. He is a great professional both on and off the ice. Claude has learned a lot over the past few years playing with Mike Richards, Danny Briere, Kimmo Timonen and Chris Pronger, just to name a few. Having played with these athletes has been a huge benefit for Claude.”

Flyers chairman Ed Snider said the team’s veterans, along with management, “realize that this is Claude’s time.”

Giroux, 25, is entering his fifth season with the Flyers. He led the team with 93 points last season, the most since Eric Lindros’ 93 in 1998-99.

“Obviously, this is a huge honor,” Giroux said. “There have been a lot of great captains here in the past. Along with this comes a lot of responsibility which I am prepared for. Being named captain is not really going to change the way I play on the ice and act off the ice. But I am very excited about this opportunity."

philly.com

ANNNNNNDDD the Straw man gets the scoop!!! If G is ok with it, I'm ok with. I just typed an hour or so ago, I think G will make one of the best captains in the league.

I think so too. He's got a good head on his shoulders, great work ethic, he can lead by example. And obviously everyone on the team respects him.

@AlaskaFlyerFan I respect Kimo as much as anyone around here, he is one of the most beloved Flyers in recent memory....BUT, this is not really "his" team....it's G, and there is no getting around that. G sets the tone like no one else on this team can. He's the best mix of skill and work ethic since the toothless wonder laced up the skates. On one hand, it would have been vary classy to give Kimo the stop gap captaincy....but in the end, if G want's the C, let him run with it. I believe it's one of the things that can propel him to even greater heights. As much as I love Kimo, there is no denying that G is "the man" on this team....and I'm not talking about points, I'm talking about respect, willingness to follow and work ethic. Kimo, I'm sure will be fine with the A.

• Like 2

Totally unrelated to the decision, but nothing cures slumping jersey sales like millions of Flyer fans wanting a new Giroux jersey with the "C" on it, huh? Like I said, it played no role in the decision, but the Flyers will make a boatload of cash because of it. Can't be to hard to stomach, huh?

I have no problem with this news, he's my favorite Flyer of the last 10 years, i like his compete level and i like that he has an infectious personality, he'll use his powers for good.

Totally agree.. he's quickly becoming my favourite Flyer ever. I grew up with the 80s Flyers, and Hextall was my fave for a long time. Was a big fan of Gagne too. And Giroux is just so amazing to watch, and his personality seems infectious. He looks like he's both a super hard competitor and loves playing hockey.

@AlaskaFlyerFan I respect Kimo as much as anyone around here, he is one of the most beloved Flyers in recent memory....BUT, this is not really "his" team....it's G, and there is no getting around that. G sets the tone like no one else on this team can. He's the best mix of skill and work ethic since the toothless wonder laced up the skates. On one hand, it would have been vary classy to give Kimo the stop gap captaincy....but in the end, if G want's the C, let him run with it. I believe it's one of the things that can propel him to even greater heights. As much as I love Kimo, there is no denying that G is "the man" on this team....and I'm not talking about points, I'm talking about respect, willingness to follow and work ethic. Kimo, I'm sure will be fine with the A.

Actually I wouldn't be surprised if at this point in his career Kimmo is more than just fine with the A. He might well prefer to just focus on staying healthy and playing rather than whatever extra responsibilities come with being captain.

• Like 1

Actually I wouldn't be surprised if at this point in his career Kimmo is more than just fine with the A. He might well prefer to just focus on staying healthy and playing rather than whatever extra responsibilities come with being captain.

@JackStraw,

I'm sure he will be satisfied. I assume he is 2nd in line as the "associate captain". I've never heard of the associate captain before but it sounds like he out ranks Danny & Harts as the alternates.

Claude, Kimmo, and Danny B seem like a really solid leadership group. As good as any in the league, I would say. Two well-respected ex-captains to mentor a young Giroux - I think this is gonna be a blast for Flyers fans to watch over the coming years.

Kimo, I'm sure will be fine with the A.

Did you see the article by Charchidi. I am not sure if he is making stuff up again, but he said that Kimmo will be the assistant and that Briere and Talbot will be the Alternates. I always thought the "A" = alternate (or assistant). I never head of a distinction between "alternate" and "assistant" when wearing the "A".

I'm sure he will be satisfied. I assume he is 2nd in line as the "associate captain". I've never heard of the associate captain before but it sounds like he out ranks Danny & Harts as the alternates.

I just typed the same thing (but messed up the A's and gave one to Talbot instead of Harts).

You really have to ask yourself if Giroux was the catalyst for the Richards / Carter moves. What I mean by this is that the Flyers organization saw / felt that two years ago he was poised to move into the upper echelon and needed to play on a top two line- thus meaning that either Richards or Carter had to go. Knowing that both Richards and Carter had NMC that kicked in July 1, Holmgren knows he has to move on or the other and starts shopping them both to see what he can get for either. LA comes in first because they need a quality second line two-way center. They offer up the best player not playing in hockey, simmonds and a second (nick cousins). Holmgren says done!!!

Within two hours, Columbus makes a return phone call and says Voracek and their first rounder. Holmgren hems and haws for about two minutes (he knows he has Giroux and Briere as his top two centers and feels confident that he can sign a gritty third line center in UFA (Talbot). He covets Voracek because he has not had good size and skill on the RW since Knuble left. Bam done!!!

Why? All because Giroux showed he was ready to take off. While Carter and Richards have a ring first, neither were the leaders of the band in getting LA that ring. I believe within two years time, those two trades will look so lopsided that everyone will be scratching their heads. The only problem will be that LA is built to last. With their defense and goaltending, they could compete for a cup the next few years. Their big problem last year was putting the puck in the net: until they reached the playoffs. I don't think they can count on that model for success this year in an accelerated season.

• Like 1

You really have to ask yourself if Giroux was the catalyst for the Richards / Carter moves. What I mean by this is that the Flyers organization saw / felt that two years ago he was poised to move into the upper echelon and needed to play on a top two line- thus meaning that either Richards or Carter had to go. Knowing that both Richards and Carter had NMC that kicked in July 1, Holmgren knows he has to move on or the other and starts shopping them both to see what he can get for either. LA comes in first because they need a quality second line two-way center. They offer up the best player not playing in hockey, simmonds and a second (nick cousins). Holmgren says done!!!

Within two hours, Columbus makes a return phone call and says Voracek and their first rounder. Holmgren hems and haws for about two minutes (he knows he has Giroux and Briere as his top two centers and feels confident that he can sign a gritty third line center in UFA (Talbot). He covets Voracek because he has not had good size and skill on the RW since Knuble left. Bam done!!!

Why? All because Giroux showed he was ready to take off. While Carter and Richards have a ring first, neither were the leaders of the band in getting LA that ring. I believe within two years time, those two trades will look so lopsided that everyone will be scratching their heads. The only problem will be that LA is built to last. With their defense and goaltending, they could compete for a cup the next few years. Their big problem last year was putting the puck in the net: until they reached the playoffs. I don't think they can count on that model for success this year in an accelerated season.

all very valid points. We may never know what fully happened in the locker room when Carter and Richards were here. It may be safe to assume that their leadership qualities or lack of them was cancer to the team. I think Homer also knew this and figured the quicker he can get them out of Dodge City the better. That way Giroux could emerge and begin to his stamp on this club. It sucks they have a Cup now, but as I posted last spring, no one forsaw LA trading for Carter back when Homer first traded Carter to Columbus. Carter showed his true colors and I for one am glad he is no longer on the team.

Giroux talked the talk and then walked the walk with that now famous 1st shift vs the Pens in the Game 6 of the playoffs last year. Although I personally might have waited 1 more year until Pronger officially gives of the "C", I am ok with the move and giving him the "C" now.

This is Giroux's team now. The offense will be fun to watch as these youngsters grow together.

Now if we can only get some dammmm GOALTENDING! :angry:

• Like 1

Did you see the article by Charchidi. I am not sure if he is making stuff up again, but he said that Kimmo will be the assistant and that Briere and Talbot will be the Alternates. I always thought the "A" = alternate (or assistant). I never head of a distinction between "alternate" and "assistant" when wearing the "A".

Per the NHL rulebook, there is one Captain and two Alternate captains on the ice. No such thing as an "Assistant" captain. Now, the Flyers could have named Kimmo the Assistant, but it has no official meaning outside of the club.

Man I hope this worx.... I'm basically on record as saying I think its toon soon for him, and this moves scares the bejeezus outta me. If it weren't for the Richards dibacle I wouldn't feel this way. I hope G is everything we believe he is, and can continue to build on what he has started. I want nothing more than for him to be one of the top 3-5 best players in the game, and after watching him play last season he has become one of my favorites. But this is the Flyers. The days of Bobby Clarke, Bernie Parent and Mark Howe are not happening very often. Instead of players going on to be hall of fame flyers and local legends, we get great players who exit under clouds of drama, most likely to be champions somewhere else.