Jody Shelley

Guest flyerrod

As of 11/19 this year, Jody Shelley has played in 7 games as a Flyer and 4 of those 7 games are losses for the Flyers. In those 7 games, he has played a whopping 27 minutes and 43 seconds which averages out to just under 4 minutes a game. He completely changes the aspect of the 4th line when he is on the ice. They go from a legitimate scoring threat with Couturier/Rinaldo/Zolnierczyk to a target. The only thing Shelley does at this point is take penalties. Did he deserve the 10 minute misconduct he got for shoving a few people yesterday, absolutely not, but his reputation and presence on the ice do nothing more than shorten the Flyers bench and hose up the lines that seem to be coming together. How long will it take before the Flyers brass start to see that?

Longer than we all would like, that's for sure!

But he still will get ice time as long as Jagr is out of the line-up.

My guess would be that Shelley gets put on waivers when Schenn is ready to play. They have 1.1M or something close to that available right now on the team. And that is with 6 defensemen. Schenn will probably get some time in the AHL, but then he should be called back up with probably Harry Z returning to the Phantoms.

The days of Shelley are numbered. There is no need to play with an enforcer, those days are gone.

Shelley does exactly what he is ask and expected to do every time he is on the ice.The fact he is on the bench is not because he won't do what is ask of him.He was hired to provide some balls,because nobody else on the team,except Rinaldo,would.Everything Shelley does for the team is Lavi's choice.This team is a soft team,nobody steps up,in the beginning of the year they looked pretty good.What happened? Last night's game was a victim of "The Canadian Curse" !

Shelley does exactly what he is ask and expected to do every time he is on the ice.The fact he is on the bench is not because he won't do what is ask of him.He was hired to provide some balls,because nobody else on the team,except Rinaldo,would.Everything Shelley does for the team is Lavi's choice.This team is a soft team,nobody steps up,in the beginning of the year they looked pretty good.What happened? Last night's game was a victim of "The Canadian Curse" !

Really? What about Simmonds? Hartnell? Pronger? The Flyers have more than enough players on this team to keep people honest. Shelley brings nothing but a reputation that he is punished for by the refs.

Dude, Shelley is terrible. He had yet another horrendous turnover in his own zone yesterday (he has had one in the last three games he has played) which fortunately did not result in a goal. He manages to make a terrible turnover almost every game while only playing 4 minutes per. The ONLY reason he played yesterday is because Nodl wasn't ready to play yet. Lavi has zero (0) confidence in Shelley as a player as evidenced by his frequent press box seatings and limited play time. He is a body, and not a very good one.

Also, your contention that this current Flyers team is "soft" is totally untrue . Have you watched any games this year?

I'm forced to agree that he is probably bot needed. I say "forced" because I like the guy. I'd rather see Zac or Harry Z get the spot at this point. Or maybe Schenn when he is ready.

I don't dislike the guy, I just don't see his fit with the Flyers (not at 1.1 mil per anyhow). Jody Shelley at this point in his career is an enforcer/goon. You saw what that got him in the Jets game. He was trying to get someone, anyone to engage and got no takers. The Refs responded by giving him a 10 minute misconduct. I think that is what you are going to see Jody get anytime he is on the ice. If he is so good in the locker room, send him down to Adirondack and steer him towards the coaching aspect of the game. He has got to bring more to the table there than he does as a Flyer. All he truly is doing now is keeping the young guys down in the AHL because of his salary.

• Like 1

Longer than we all would like, that's for sure!

But he still will get ice time as long as Jagr is out of the line-up.

My guess would be that Shelley gets put on waivers when Schenn is ready to play. They have 1.1M or something close to that available right now on the team. And that is with 6 defensemen. Schenn will probably get some time in the AHL, but then he should be called back up with probably Harry Z returning to the Phantoms.

The days of Shelley are numbered. There is no need to play with an enforcer, those days are gone.

i wish that to be true but watch Harry z gets sent down. when schenn is ready. i don't get this teams love affair with shelly. he is a complete waste of money and a roster spot. plus he have a tough guy in rinaldo who can actually play a little hockey. i don't care if he is my size 5-11 185lbs. he'd fight chara if needed

Let Shelly take a few minutes on the fourth line, so the young guys out in the A can get fifteen quality minutes.

The whole thing is they were getting close to averaging 10 minutes out of the 4th liners when shelley is not in.

i wish that to be true but watch Harry z gets sent down. when schenn is ready.

yeah, Z will most likely sent down first. But I don't think there is enough cap space though to carry a 7th -dman and schenn without removing Shelley unless Rinaldo goes to the phantoms as well.

yeah, Z will most likely sent down first. But I don't think there is enough cap space though to carry a 7th -dman and schenn without removing Shelley unless Rinaldo goes to the phantoms as well.

that would piss me off. right now shenn doesn't have a position to move into. so if he does get called up here we go again with musical lines and we all know what happened the last time. leave him in the minors i don't get whats the rush with him playing in the show. harry z and zach are playing well. to me shenn is the 2nd coming of kris versteeg. not in skill just one to many moves that didn't work and messed with team chemistry

i don't get whats the rush with him playing in the show. harry z and zach are playing well. to me shenn is the 2nd coming of kris versteeg. not in skill just one to many moves that didn't work and messed with team chemistry

while i agree that Harry Z has played pretty well and Rinaldo has been a total pleasant surprise with the skill he brings with his edge, they are not the guys you traded your captain for . Brayden Schenn he's that guy, by the time he got hurt he was starting to look comfortable, since it was only his 4th game i'd like to see a little more of what he can do.... i think i've read he cam play right wing , plus as awful as this team is on faceoffs wouldn't it be a good idea to see if 10 can help there ? the swoon that occured on his first call up was on bryzgalov not being able to stop a beach ball, not schenn. the jagr giroux hartnell line hadn't come together yet either it's a long grind let's get the blue chipper some quality nhl ice time , see what he can do before we have to rely on him due to an injury.

I can appreciate what he does but it's obvious by his lack of games and ice time that his days are numbered. I hated the deal when Homer signed him as I thought it was way too much money and for too long. Because of that and due to likely lack of interest elsewhere I think we're stuck with him.

I can appreciate what he does but it's obvious by his lack of games and ice time that his days are numbered. I hated the deal when Homer signed him as I thought it was way too much money and for too long. Because of that and due to likely lack of interest elsewhere I think we're stuck with him.

unfortunately i think you're right

The Flyers as an organization are probably stuck with him.

The Flyers as a team are not.

He could be waived to the AHL yesterday, today, tomorrow, not-soon-enough...

He could be waived to the AHL yesterday, today, tomorrow, not-soon-enough...

Hear, Hear. He brings nothing but turnovers and reputation penalties on the ice. Other guys can be the glue in the room. Sorry, Jody, I know you do what you're asked and the guys like you but the team needs more on the ice.