Snider helping resolve issues-good article.

DaGreatGazoo

Hmm...cracks in the armor of the Owners??

On Friday, multiple sources indicated Snider's "strong discontent" for Bruins owner Jeremy Jacobs, a big-market owner who has been one of the lockout's ringleaders.

Sorry, for just posting the link..I couldn't get the text to format correctly here.

http://www.philly.co...NHL_talks_.html

Hmm...cracks in the armor of the Owners??

On Friday, multiple sources indicated Snider's "strong discontent" for Bruins owner Jeremy Jacobs, a big-market owner who has been one of the lockout's ringleaders.

Sorry, for just posting the link..I couldn't get the text to format correctly here.

http://www.philly.co...NHL_talks_.html

If I was an owner, having my Commissioner call for a two week "moratorium" while simultaneosly saying if a deal isn't done soon the season is likely lost would be the final straw.

This is a classic union-breaking stand - trying to pressure the lower-income members to turn on the higher-income members.

To have an avowed Randian like Snider starting to break ranks is an important turn - if it is happening.

Maybe after the results of the election, he realized that adopting half-baked theories and believing bold predictions from a charlatan doesn't always give the results one seeks.

One can only hope.

The corporate sponsors are the big thing here. That's where the extra revenue comes from to get to $3.3B. If they don't come back or significantly reduce their interest in the game it means much more than the average fan losing interest.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=409693

REPORT: FLYERS' OWNER SNIDER MAY BE TIRING OF STALEMATE

Philadelphia Flyers owner Ed Snider may be tiring of the current stalemate between the NHL and its Players' Association.

Sources tell Philadelphia Daily News writer Frank Seravalli that Snider soured on the process when it became likely that there would be no deal in time to start an abbreviated season on Dec. 1.

According to Seravalli, Snider - who serves on the executive committee of the NHL's Board of Governors - is essentially of the opinion that the final deal that the owners will eventually get on revenue division and players' contract rights will not be as good as what NHL commissioner Gary Bettman originally envisioned. That being the case, writes Seravalli, the owners may only win the battle for a better revenue split, and still have to accept an angry fan base and sponsorship woes following a lockout that is in its third month.

However, sources tell TSN's Darren Dreger that Snider is still firmly behind Bettman.

"Good example of an owner who wants to play...badly," tweeted Dreger on Saturday morning. "But, I'm told Snider remains strongly in Bettman's corner."

The lockout entered its 63rd day on Saturday. With games cancelled through Nov. 30, it's thought that the NHL may start cutting games into December, along with the All-Star Game in Columbus on Jan. 27.

@DaGreatGazoo "When it comes to labor negotiations, league rules require a a vote of 75 percent of governors to oppose the commissioner's recommendation. That means Bettman has absolute power, so long as he has eight out of 30 owners to block any hostile movement against him. Bettman actually needs only seven owners to support him, since the league owns the Phoenix franchise."

Is the the *real* reason why the NHL has allowed the Phoenix situation to drag on for so long, should support for Gary wane, he has the Phoenix vote in his back pockets. I suspect it was not the only reason for drawing out the Phoenix situation, but that is a pretty big plus for Gary, only really needing 7 other owners to back him.

@Philly29

Feels good to have an owner who inherited his money, helped worsen the mess that is the current NHL super contract (thank you Weber offer sheet), and now firmly stands behind the notion that they don't have to live up to them? This article reeks of "please don't hate me for being rich" propaganda. The ONLY thing in this article actually attributed to Snider is "Sources tell Philadelphia Daily News writer Frank Seravalli that Snider soured on the process when it became likely that there would be no deal in time to start an abbreviated season on Dec. 1" And then "But, I'm told Snider remains strongly in Bettman's corner". How is THAT Snider trying to help? he's unhappy the lockout is taking longer than they'd expected. That's all it says.

Oh and "An article appearing in today's Philadelphia Daily News is absolutely erroneous," Snider said. "I am a solid supporter of National Hockey League Commissioner Gary Bettman and the League in this unfortunate situation." I notice you left that part out?

I understand the NHL cannot operate as it has. I understand the contracts have spiraled out of control. And I understand it's the owners' own faults. Yes it needs to change, but I won't sit here and buy into the "but I'm a good guy and I don't want this" propaganda. I worship Lemieux, and I understand he must feel this needs to be done to secure the future of the game... but if he puts out this kind of rhetoric I'll be every bit as disappointed in him. This is just ******** to keep you from hating him. I have little respect for Snider as it is, due to several things that would serve only to inflame most of you that have nothing to do with your Flyers' operations. But I'd have had more respect for him if he'd just stayed silent on the matter and not played this kind of crap.

Let the hating commence...

Edited by Polaris922

@Philly29

Feels good to have an owner who inherited his money, helped worsen the mess that is the current NHL super contract (thank you Weber offer sheet), and now firmly stands behind the notion that they don't have to live up to them? This article reeks of "please don't hate me for being rich" propaganda. The ONLY thing in this article actually attributed to Snider is "Sources tell Philadelphia Daily News writer Frank Seravalli that Snider soured on the process when it became likely that there would be no deal in time to start an abbreviated season on Dec. 1" And then "But, I'm told Snider remains strongly in Bettman's corner". How is THAT Snider trying to help? he's unhappy the lockout is taking longer than they'd expected. That's all it says.

Oh and "An article appearing in today's Philadelphia Daily News is absolutely erroneous," Snider said. "I am a solid supporter of National Hockey League Commissioner Gary Bettman and the League in this unfortunate situation." I notice you left that part out?

I understand the NHL cannot operate as it has. I understand the contracts have spiraled out of control. And I understand it's the owners' own faults. Yes it needs to change, but I won't sit here and buy into the "but I'm a good guy and I don't want this" propaganda. I worship Lemieux, and I understand he must feel this needs to be done to secure the future of the game... but if he puts out this kind of rhetoric I'll be every bit as disappointed in him. This is just ******** to keep you from hating him. I have little respect for Snider as it is, due to several things that would serve only to inflame most of you that have nothing to do with your Flyers' operations. But I'd have had more respect for him if he'd just stayed silent on the matter and not played this kind of crap.

ok

@Philly29

No hating, anyone that admits to worshiping one of the greatest whiners the game as ever seen, shouldn't be hated..they should be pitied. :P

I understand the contracts have spiraled out of control.

Eric Lindros, 1998-99, 1999-2000 - $8.5M

Alex Ovechkin through 2021 - $9.5M cap hit

Sidney Crosby through 2025 - $8.7M cap hit

Zach Parise through 2025 - $7.5M cap hit

Ryan Suter through 2025 - $7.5M cap hit

Rick Nash through 2018 - $7.8M cap hit

Salaries really have sprialed out of control. The owners have many of the top players in the league signed for at least the next six years - and in some cases through 2025 - for around the price of a top player in 1998-2000.

That's 25 years of relative salary stability. Where is this "spiraling out of control"?

Also consider that the owners suggested that those numbers should be trimmed 20% off the top. That's a 20% reduction for 25 years for the top players in the league.

In the first lockout, salaries were "spiraling out of control".

I can't see how they are "spiraling out of control" now.

• Like 1

Eric Lindros, 1998-99, 1999-2000 - $8.5M Alex Ovechkin through 2021 - $9.5M cap hit Sidney Crosby through 2025 - $8.7M cap hit Zach Parise through 2025 - $7.5M cap hit Ryan Suter through 2025 - $7.5M cap hit Rick Nash through 2018 - $7.8M cap hit Salaries really have sprialed out of control. The owners have many of the top players in the league signed for at least the next six years - and in some cases through 2025 - for around the price of a top player in 1998-2000. That's 25 years of relative salary stability. Where is this "spiraling out of control"? Also consider that the owners suggested that those numbers should be trimmed 20% off the top. That's a 20% reduction for 25 years for the top players in the league. In the first lockout, salaries were "spiraling out of control". I can't see how they are "spiraling out of control" now.

The cap hit isn't reflecting what the players are making really. They're all front loaded. Yes they use much lower figures at the end of a fourteen year deal to drop the cap hit but the teams still have to spend that money do they not? Example Weber gets $26 in bonuses alone within a 12 month period. I don't care what his cap hit is, remember all the talk of how the Preds will come up with so much money if they're already strapped. Remember all those conversations? The owners wanted this. They outsmarted themselves though didn't they? Paying a player that much money in 12 months is spiraled out of control. According to the owners it is, or they wouldn't be trying to cut the salaries so much, and trying to get out of honoring the very contracts they made.

And for the record the Weber deal blows all the others out of the water. Thank you Ed Snider.

No hating, anyone that admits to worshiping one of the greatest whiners the game as ever seen, shouldn't be hated..they should be pitied. :P/>

Jealousy is acceptable. I understand it. But yes Mario did whine on and off through the years. You would too if you were light years ahead of 99% of the people on the ice but the officials let it get balanced out by clutching and grabbing. Do you really want hockey to go back to those years?

But I am sure you would NEVER complain when a punk like Subban grabs Giroux and holds him up and nothing is called. ;)

Snider later issued a statement disputing the Daily News column.

"An article appearing in today's Philadelphia Daily News is absolutely erroneous," Snider said. "I am a solid supporter of National Hockey League Commissioner Gary Bettman and the League in this unfortunate situation.

"Like all fans, players, owners and League officials, I am extremely hopeful that an agreement can be reached and we can eventually be playing hockey again soon. League rules prevent me and all owners from making any comments on the labor negotiations. I will continue to honor that and not make any further comments."

Saw this on TSN this morning...is he trying not to get fined??????

The cap hit isn't reflecting what the players are making really. They're all front loaded. Yes they use much lower figures at the end of a fourteen year deal to drop the cap hit but the teams still have to spend that money do they not? Example Weber gets $26 in bonuses alone within a 12 month period. I don't care what his cap hit is, remember all the talk of how the Preds will come up with so much money if they're already strapped. Remember all those conversations? The owners wanted this. They outsmarted themselves though didn't they? Paying a player that much money in 12 months is spiraled out of control. According to the owners it is, or they wouldn't be trying to cut the salaries so much, and trying to get out of honoring the very contracts they made.

And for the record the Weber deal blows all the others out of the water. Thank you Ed Snider.

OK, but that front-loading, the circumvention, the signing bonuses and the like are all a creation of the owners.

And then we return to the owners saying that the only people who can stop them from offering ridiculosly bad deals are the peple they are offering them to.

It's insane.

The League can't on the one hand approve deals like Weber's and then turn arond and say that deals like Weber's are the reason for the lockout.

REFUSE TO APPROVE THE CIRCUMVENTING DEALS.

Pretty simple, actually.

And, nevertheless, the cap hit is what the League uses to determine the relative "value" of a player. And those "values" will be somewhat the same in 2025 as they were in 1998.

But I am sure you would NEVER complain when a punk like Subban grabs Giroux and holds him up and nothing is called

Totally illogical argument...Subban could never in ANY parallel universe, catch the Almighty Giroux to hold him up. :lol:

My point about Mario was that everyone in his era played with that ridiculous clutch/grab going on...he acted like he was the only player getting mugged. That's always been my issue with his comments.

I'm NOT comparing the players, but if you want to see an example of another talented player that was mauled, go back and watch what Lindros had to skate thru on a nightly basis.

Face it...we just need hockey back so we can actual argue about real games, and what happened on the ice last night...not stuff from 10-15 years ago!!! :wacko:

• Like 1

OK, but that front-loading, the circumvention, the signing bonuses and the like are all a creation of the owners.

And then we return to the owners saying that the only people who can stop them from offering ridiculosly bad deals are the peple they are offering them to.

It's insane.

The League can't on the one hand approve deals like Weber's and then turn arond and say that deals like Weber's are the reason for the lockout.

REFUSE TO APPROVE THE CIRCUMVENTING DEALS.

Pretty simple, actually.

And, nevertheless, the cap hit is what the League uses to determine the relative "value" of a player. And those "values" will be somewhat the same in 2025 as they were in 1998.

You summed up my entire point there. It IS insane. And I understand the "value" of the player as you described, but I stand by the actual salaries being paid out, bonuses and all for these crazy terms as being why they're in trouble in the first place. And as we both said, the owners did it to themselves!

If you are a businessman, simnply making a 14-year deal isn't out of the reralm of possibility.

Like Nashville did, amortizing the initial cost over the length off the deal makes things much more manageable.

And if you take away zeroes, you get a feel for what it would be like if "the ordinary person" was to make those deals.

Shea Weber's bonus, for example, is the equivalent of a $2,600 bill for someone with $100,000. That's not back-breaking in any sense.

The problem we have identified is that the OWNERS aren't businessmen, they are children in a sandbox.

• Like 1