Luongo to provide a short-list of teams

Guest brelic

I'm sure a lot of teams would be interested, but another 9 or 10 years on that contract until he's 40? No thanks, we've got one of those already, lol!

Toronto or TB wouldn't surprise me one bit. And you can never count out the Isles when it comes to stocking up on goaltenders ;)

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=394290

Sources say goaltender Roberto Luongo will submit a short list of teams to the Canucks next week that could pave the way for a trade out of Vancouver.

On Tuesday, Luongo said he would agree to waive his no-trade clause if team officials asked him to do so. The report indicates the Toronto Maple Leafs will be one of the teams on that list.

"It's going to be what's best for the team," Luongo said on Tuesday. "Whatever scenario that is, I'm okay with it - whether that involves me being here or not is okay. We've got a lot of potential in this locker room, there's a great core of guys, and the chance to do something special."

The Canucks were eliminated from the playoffs by the Los Angeles Kings in Game 5 on Sunday but Luongo did not play in the series after surrendering seven goals on 64 shots in the first two losses in Vancouver. Cory Schneider then started the final three games of the series, giving up four goals on 101 shots with a 1-2 record.

"They've got a guy [schneider] here that is going to be a superstar in this league for the next 10, 12, 15 years," said Luongo. "It is a business and that's the way it goes. I loved being here the last six years. I think my career has really taken off and we did some incredible things. If I'm here in the future, then great. If I'm not, that's good also."

Luongo, 33, signed a 12-year, $64 million contract extension with the Canucks in 2009.

"I don't want to be one of those guys that will stand in the way of anything, I always want to put the team ahead of me and not be one of those selfish guys," said Luongo. "There haven't been any decisions made, but over the course of the next little while we'll talk to (Canucks GM) Mike (Gillis) and make that decision.".

@brelic

Tampa has 8 positions to fill and 16.3m in cap space to do it. However, I wonder if Vinny wouldn't mind going to play in Vancouver? That would actually seem like an equitable trade. One monster contract for another monster contract and both stars that have been waning a bit.

Toronto can't rub two nickels together as they have 5 positions they need to fill and only 7.3 million in cap space. They would have to send a large contract the other way.

NYI have the most money (25M) to spend, but do also have 7 positions to fill (especially on D). I could not imagine them having not one, but two goalies signed for 10m a season for the next decade. They would be an even bigger laughing stock than they already are. Also, Nabakov is signed for another season with a NMC.

I could see columbus, but they neither have the assets to send the other way AND I doubt columbus would be on Luongo list.

The one place that I could see Luongo going (and this would be a boon) is to Chicago. Chicago has about 6.5 m in cap space, but only has to fill a couple of peripheral positions. If they could figure out how to jettison / trade Crawford, that would give them about 3 million for their gap positions. Might get it done. The big question is what would it cost.

Because of the monster contract, I can not see Vancouver having much leverage for substantial assets. Now if it was Schneider, that would be a completely different story.

One monster contract for another monster contract and both stars that have been waning a bit.

You'd think this kind of thing would happen more often, but its pretty rare. Seems clear that Lulu won't be in Van next year. TB looks like the only real fit.

@Podein25

I could see NJD as well. If it looks like Parise is not going to sign, trade his rights for Luongo. NJD have 8 positions to fill with 22m. Goaltending (they need both a starter and a backup should be priority #1). The rest of the positions are mainly supporting positions that they should be able to fill with 17m.

On the monster - monster contract thing, not sure I get why it does not happen more if player x and player y are waning in their respective environments. Sometimes a change of venue is all a player needs.

Teams that are on the borderline fiscally, should in no way be signing contracts like the one that Vinny signed. Not only does it make him unmoveable (NMC notwithstanding), but it also burdens the organization financially. Vinny is going to make 10m in cash for ANOTHER 4 years on hi current contract. This for a .8 ppg player over the ast three years who has missed 1/4 of the season for the past two. Whoever signed that contract should be quartered and shot. Vinny has great talent but mostly is a oneway player (ie. defensive zone coverage to him is a foreign concept).

While I don't like the long contracts when the Flyers do it, I do appreciate how they structure it to be frontloaded where the big money is paid in the first 1/3 - 1/2 of the contract- thus making the contract portable in the later years.