Talbot says Giroux is just as good as Crosby

Guest Digityman

Granted Talbot is supporting his teammate but that's a heck of a comparison.

We all know that Sidney Crosby is a really special player. He’s one of the best in the league, if not the best. His former teammate Maxime Talbot seems to think he’s playing alongside someone just like him in Claude Giroux.

Sound crazy? Sam Carchidi of Philly.com believes it himself but Talbot is eager to share his thoughts. Carchidi asked Talbot if it’s too early to put Giroux on Crosby’s level. His response was telling.

“No, he’s been the best in the league since the beginning of the year,” Talbot said the other day.

Not only does Talbot believe it but Hall of Famer and Flyers legend Bill Barber does too. Does that make it true though? The results are hard to argue with.

Giroux is near the top of the NHL scoring leaderboard and has easily been the Flyers’ best player and one of the best scorers in the league. All those accolades are what Crosby brings to the table for the Penguins.

Connecting the two isn’t quite as crazy as it sounds, but we’ll see how these two guys stack up against each other and through the rest of the season. We haven’t seen the best from Crosby yet while Giroux is showing us everything he’s got.

NBC Sports

Giroux was put in a secondary and even tertiary role when he entered the league and for his first two+ seasons, behind Richards, Carter, and Briere. In his first season, he didn't even play his natural Center position. On the other hand, Crosby entered the league in a primary role, playing pond hockey with Mario Lemieux, and has flourished since. I'd like to see where Giroux is in three years and then reassess, but skill wise, I think Giroux is up there, but just a smidgeon below Crosby. I think Sidney has better vision overall (and without question, the best vision in the game), but I would agree that Claude has better stick handling skills -- but not by all that much. Time will tell, hoping that Crosby doesn't end up getting knocked out of the game for good.

Edited by s3x

they do match up in skill level. i actually think claude has a little bit more puck handling skill.and ia a better sportsman meaning he doesn't cry every given chance

I like GIroux. A lot.

But sorry, Crosby (despite who he might play for) is the best player in the world.

Its like when downie was drafted. Holmgren et al said " he is the poor mans rick tocchet"

Giroux is kind of like that...without comparisons directly to downie.

Crosby is allowed to kick the puck into the net or drive the goalie into the net and carry the puck in with his arm, while Giroux is not. When he is able to pull off those kinds of plays and the refs look skyward whistling, THEN we can talk.

Sid is probably more round players with better hockey sense, he does mistakes very seldom, Giroux has a lot turn overs because he over held puck a lot.

Last goal against Sabres made look easy, so of course he has a lot skills but Sid is better now not lot but better. OV is trailed a lot and I'm not sure what did happened with OV.

Maybe in in a couple of years Giroux could be as good as Crosby, but until he takes the scoring crown, Crosby is still the best player out there. Giroux is a lot more responsible defensively and doesn't whine like Crosby though. It will be scary if does unseed Sid the kid.

...but until he takes the scoring crown...

Giroux currently leads the league in points and is one goal behind THAT lead with two games in hand. All that without the benefit of curiously favorite officiating.

"Giroux currently leads the league in points and is one goal behind THAT lead with two games in hand. All that without the benefit of curiously favorite officiating."

Yes, that's true, but what I meant was when Crosby and Giroux play a full season and Giroux takes the crown and then he can be mentioned as the king.

@wcflyer, Does that mean that if Giroux takes the scoring crown this year it won't count because Crosby didn't play a whole season?

I'm pretty sure that's NOT what you meant, the contest is between hundreds of players, not just the league darling.

"Does that mean that if Giroux takes the scoring crown this year it won't count because Crosby didn't play a whole season?" It will count, but it won't be a true measuring stick against Crosby since Crosby didn't play a full season.

The scoring contest is open for all players, but realistically five players will vie for it at years end. Sorry can't be your darling, maybe see what Crosby is doing?