Game 5: Vancouver Canucks at Philadelphia Flyers; 10/19/24 @ 7 PM, ESPN+, NBCSP

Howie58

Greetings:

Opening odds show Vancouver as the mild favorite (-123):

https://www.oddsshark.com/nhl/vancouver-philadelphia-odds-october-19-2024-2297534

Power rankings put us at 28, Vancouver as 14.  

It's early, but our GAA is disconcerting:

https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/phi-vs-van/2024/10/19/2024020082

We'll see if playing at home makes a difference.  

• Thanks 1

7pm start is welcome Ersson in net even more welcome what I saw of Fedotov was more than enough.

Nice to see special teams clicking, TK/Laughton with a shorty already…the PP scoring goals.

The Flyers are losing a lot of draws they’re around 47%. Face-offs are the team’s only weakness; they fix that we can start planning the parade. 🤩

Ersson doesn't even have one SOG ... 😏

The PPs generated great chances - some bad puck luck, some bad shots missing the net...one of those nights... they look like a team that's been traveling.

7mins 4mins 1min left So they get blanked in their home opener....the crowd is Booing them... 🤮

They announced it was a sell-out ... a little surprising to me.

Edited by GratefulFlyers

yeah that was a tough turnaround...they flew back yesterday

I did NY-LA too many times you don't get used to it you can't "just deal" it totally funks up your body clock. You don't readjust in 24 hours no way. I know these are world-class athletes but that probably doesn't help much.

Edited by GratefulFlyers
  • Like 2

why would Torts put Coots on the wing for the first time in his career in this game....they WERE scoring in the first 4 games of the season...even if they were giving them up..they were still scoring....this seems like a dick move....

• Like 2

9 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

yeah that was a tough turnaround...they flew back yesterday

I did NY-LA too many times you don't get used to it you can't "just deal" it totally funks up your body clock. You don't readjust in 24 hours no way. I know these are world-class athletes but that probably doesn't help much.

Used to have to travel from Florida to Commiefirnia for work. It definitely takes more than 24 hrs to adjust your body clock. That said, they looked like they were skating in mud all night long. Errson looked like he was in a shooting gallery. Is Vancouver really that good ? Sloppy play and constant turnovers certainly didn’t help the cause. This was the first game I watched this season and boy is it gonna be tough if this is all we fans have to look forward to…….

10 hours ago, FD19372 said:

They need finishers..still. Also, the defense has been shoddy at best tonight.

We have more finishers than we have had in years.  Tippett, Brink and Foerester all have great shots.What we really lack is playmakers, especially at center.Other than Frost we have nobody to setup our guys who can shoot.We also  have no playmakers or big accurate shot on the blueline. Oh and we have no backup goalie. If Ersson gets hurt, we are picking in the top 2.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

What we really lack is playmakers, especially at center.

Hmmmm ... and we decide to take a lower ranked Center at the draft .....  I have said my peace about Jett.  This is NOT a knock him as an individual, this is a knock against the FO and trying to outwit everyone else.

41 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

Other than Frost we have nobody to setup our guys who can shoot.We also  have no playmakers or big accurate shot on the blueline. Oh and we have no backup goalie. If Ersson gets hurt, we are picking in the top 2.

And that is what you get for being a middling bubble playoff team.

On more than one occasion Michkov was horribly out of position and left the nucks with point blank unchallenged shots on Errson. I know he is young but if someone as blind as I am can see that I can only imagine what Tort’s is saying on the bench….”Hey Michy, that was a beaut of a defensive play right there….”

I was thinking about this game while shaving this AM.  Something dawned on me.  Is this team going through a tough transition from defensive first and lousy offense to fairly competent offense and needing to add structure (sounding like Hakstol)? For many years, the only way we could win was with a really great defensive and goaltending performance that allowed us to eek out 2-1, 3-2 type wins. Now we have scoring ability.  But the team has to apply defense. The blown coverages last night (Torts dissected Laughton's in the post-game presser) made me consider this kind of culture change.  It may take 10-20 games for this to settle.  

3 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

We have more finishers than we have had in years.  Tippett, Brink and Foerester all have great shots.What we really lack is playmakers, especially at center.Other than Frost we have nobody to setup our guys who can shoot.We also  have no playmakers or big accurate shot on the blueline. Oh and we have no backup goalie. If Ersson gets hurt, we are picking in the top 2.

We have more finishers than we have had in years? Yes, and that's because they haven't had enough finishers, for about a decade. We need more. Accuracy is important. Last season, Joel Farabee led the Flyers in Shooting % with a 12.1. He ranked 150th in the NHL. I don't think there's a team in the NHL, with their best shooter ranking lower. Next best on the team was Tyson Foerster, with a 12.0 Shooting %. I think Michkov, is certainly a step in the right direction for playmakers, but now we need finishers. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, pilldoc said:

Hmmmm ... and we decide to take a lower ranked Center at the draft .....  I have said my peace about Jett.  This is NOT a knock him as an individual, this is a knock against the FO and trying to outwit everyone else.

And that is what you get for being a middling bubble playoff team.

Very few times in the first round of NHL draft does someone go off the board or go against consensus and hit a home run by reaching for a player rated six or seven picks later than their pick position. We have done this a number of times, we reached with Sam Morin and it failed , we reached with York and so far the two guys we passed on Boldy and Caufield are much more dynamic and more successful. If Brink and York really step it up this year then it could turn out to be an OK move . If Buim becomes the next Brian Leetch and Luchenko becomes Laughton with speed then that will really suck. I hope Luchenko ends up being first or second line center anything less than that would be deemed a failure. You can’t waste a top twelve pick on a third liner. Considering what loser GMs we have had and mediocre drafting ,the Flyers are the last team that should be going off the board or reaching . During the draft we are certainly not the smartest guys in the room, but our GMs think they are.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, FD19372 said:

We have more finishers than we have had in years? Yes, and that's because they haven't had enough finishers, for about a decade. We need more. Accuracy is important. Last season, Joel Farabee led the Flyers in Shooting % with a 12.1. He ranked 150th in the NHL. I don't think there's a team in the NHL, with their best shooter ranking lower. Next best on the team was Tyson Foerster, with a 12.0 Shooting %. I think Michkov, is certainly a step in the right direction for playmakers, but now we need finishers. 

I agree ,you can never have enough finishers, but if you don’t have any setup men, the finishers may as well sit there and finish themselves off. We need some dynamic playmakers to setup these guys and we really don’t have that. Without Clarke , Reggie Leach would never have been the scorer he was. Guys like Tippett, Foerester and Brink all have really good shots but none of them are gonna go end to end and score, they need a catalyst to set them up, just like Clarke did with Leach. We could also use a center who can setup plays and also score on his own. Our team is not built properly and we need to have the right mix of styles and skills in order to create the right line combinations for success. We need the kind of center who is gonna make his line mates better players. I don’t think Poehling or Coots are gonna help anyone in the offensive categories. We have a long way to go, its imperative we get a top five pick in this years draft. Foerester scored 20 as a rookie and Tippett got 30, imagine what they could do with a legit # 1 and 2 center.

17 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

My point is (that I will admit I presented poorly on my last post), we have more finishers, but not enough. Not nearly. We could use another setup man and playmakers like Michkov, but we need more in the way of finishers.

Edited by FD19372

5 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

My point is (that I will admit I presented poorly on my last post), we have more finishers, but not enough. Not nearly. We could use another setup man and playmakers like Michkov, but we need more in the way of finishers.

Let’s just face it,we suck. 😂 We need so much , finishers, setup men, a playmaking dman with a booming point shot and a Pronger shutdown type leader on the blueline and a backup goalie. Other than that, we are building a powerhouse.” Build Back Better”

Edited by RonJeremy
  • Haha 1
  • Uggh... 1