Game 4: Philadelphia Flyers at Seattle Kraken; 10/17/24 @ 10 PM, NBCSP

Howie58

Greetings:

The Kraken are favored by a smidgeon (-139):

https://www.oddsshark.com/nhl/philadelphia-seattle-odds-october-17-2024-2297474

It's early in the season, but it looks like our offense is better while their strength is defense:

https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/phi-vs-sea/2024/10/17/2024020071

I will be curious to see if we try The Big Russian again in goal.  

2 hours ago, Howie58 said:

Greetings:

The Kraken are favored by a smidgeon (-139):

https://www.oddsshark.com/nhl/philadelphia-seattle-odds-october-17-2024-2297474

It's early in the season, but it looks like our offense is better while their strength is defense:

https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/phi-vs-sea/2024/10/17/2024020071

I will be curious to see if we try The Big Russian again in goal.  

I think you will see Fedotov only on back to back games unless he starts showing improvement in practice. Errson is probably going to play the heavier part of 2/3 all games. I don’t think that bodes well for Errson but the big Russian needs NHL seasoning desperately. Maybe they can flop him with the Russian kid playing in Lehigh after he gets some serious play time. As in the better part of the season. 

Edited by flyerrod

53 minutes ago, radoran said:

Well worth $3.275M. For two years.

🤔

This is one of those "it's people and not numbers on a spreadsheet" situations.

Yes It's not great to pay the backup who is an unknown, tandem goalie money.  Noted.

Also not great? going back on your word to a dude who signed his entry level contract and was kidnapped conscripted into the Russian Navy immediately afterward.

The contract is for one more year after this one, it is not crippling the franchise in any capacity. 

He's played under 200 minutes in the NHL, maybe he flops, maybe he's decent, maybe he surprises and plays like he did in his world cup season. 

Like most things Flyers, there is more to this situation than "drunk Marine money spending on shore-leave". 

There's being decent to a human being the team has a relationship with.

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

There's being decent to a human being the team has a relationship with.

No, it's not "crippling" the team. It's not "helping" them at all, either.

For the record, if it came down to "22 year old RFA goalie" or "27 year old UFA" I know where I'm leaning.

And you know I'm not sold on either of them.

Also, again for the record, the contract he's here on isn't the one he signed before he got conscripted.

They honored that contract - signed by Chuck Fletcher (the player, notably, did not). 

This one they signed in April of 2024.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/40007806/source-flyers-sign-goalie-ivan-fedotov-2-year-deal

There's being a "decent human being" and there's being "a chump." When a guy who shafted you for years, signs a one year ELC, utterly fails to live up to it, signs another deal in the KHL on top of it and then comes over to play three games "to fulfill his ELC" - plays terribly -  and then gets rewarded a two-year, $6M raise, that's "chump" territory right there.

There's far more than the "decent human being" side to this story. I think the Flyers were far more than decent before they paid him far too much to be not very effective with no NA-experience whatsoever.

That said, I hope he gets his game together and becomes the goalie Ron Hextall thought he was when he drafted him.

I mean, if Ron Hextall and Chuck Fletcher were involved, he's got to be good. :hocky:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Just send the kid back fer crissakes!

They would rather not allow the kid to reach his full potential down the road, and win now. By win, I mean MAYBE be good enough to be a middle of the road hockey team. #FlyerLogic

1 hour ago, Howie58 said:

It's Fedotov.  They are preserving Ersson for the Saturday game. 

You mean they aren't doing the effective 1A/B they've been talking about all off-season?

Because this is exactly a game he should be starting in that scenario.

One of the main reasons 82 is signed at his number for his term is to actually get starts and let Ersson develop.

No, really.

Just now, FD19372 said:

Fedotov might not...OK isn't very good at the moment, but their coverage, particularly against the Wright line..has been very bad.

Did you see the five hole? I could score on that from New Jersey where I currently am.

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Uggh... 1

2 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

Where have you gone, Keri Letfourin? 😁

A fan base turns their lonely eyes to you.

Woo hoo hoo.

Woo hoo hoo.

Flyers paying Kolosov NHL money in 5... 4...

Edited by radoran
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, flyerdog said:

Ivan sucks, even Cal Petersen makes those saves

I do not understand handcuffing the goalie slot to this guy.

I don't understand the rationale at all.

And I'm a guy that appreciates a developing KHL story like a Tim Thomas.

But in this day and age any goalie worth a damn is in the NHL before 27, and only a damn fool signs a 7th round pick eight years later to a two year deal at $3.625M FOR NO DISCERNABLE REASON WHATSOEVER.

May #fivegoal Fedotov prove me wrong.

:hocky:

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, radoran said:

A fan base turns their lonely eyes to you.

Woo hoo hoo.

Woo hoo hoo.

Flyers paying Kolosov NHL money in 5... 4...

Yep. Fedotov makes Ersson look like the clone of Connor Hellebuyck. God Bless You, please, Kari Letfourin.

Some positives...York another goal, Drysdale got a goal, Michkov with another point, but the best part is that Fedotov is going to be a major reason for why we will be picking in the top 5. Our goaile tandem is among the worst in the league, and the major reason for last years team points was due to Hart playing close to a true number one and Ers being put in a situation to succeed as a backup goalie/1B. Key for me this year is individual player progress and an overall team failure to acquire points (high scoring losing games is what I want). Looking to secure the top five draft pick, and see continued progress from York, Foerster, Brink, Michkov, Drysdale. Farabee, Tippet, Frost looking for them to take that next big step.

I know points does not necessarily equals individual progress as a hockey player. But I want to see Drysdale prove he can be that offensive high scoring d-man and let him loose, rather than shackle him and teach him mediocre defense.