Game 2: Philadelphia Flyers at Calgary Flames; 10/12/24 @ 10 PM, NBCSP. ESPN+

Howie58

I think Fedotov didn't look horrible.

Not a ringing endorsement, but he made some nice stops.  Some of the goals against were fluky, the first Huberdeau goal; or he had no chance the Weeger PP goal, the (I think it was Kahdri) the 2 on 1. Those would have been 10 bell saves.

It doesn't look to me like he's Cal Peterson bad, it looks to me like he might come around with some more reps and coaching. 

It was looking like some of the angles and where to direct the puck on rebounds were causing more work for him, I think things like that can be cleaned up.

I don't think he's Shesterkin-lite up in this. But I think he could be a decent back-up within a month. 

He didn't look clueless and pucks didn't go through him, which for me are the biggest red flags. He got beat on plays where he was facing a stacked deck.

1 hour ago, Howie58 said:

I hope we aren't commencing the "Outshoot But Underscore" phenomenon that's plagued us for years. You shouldn't lose 40-shot efforts.

Howie

Right, you shouldn't lose 40 shot efforts. Or, at least not many. This team has lacked top-tier offensive talent, for years. Then they've paid average to slightly above average talent, like it's superstar talent.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FD19372 said:

Right, you shouldn't lose 40 shot efforts. Or, at least not many. This team has lacked top-tier offensive talent, for years. Then they've paid average to slightly above average talent, like it's superstar talent.

Yep.  I am hoping "The New Era of Orange" brings some changes but won't hold my breath.  The team skates well.  But they need to finish better and make the opposing goalies earn their keep.  I don't have a heat map of this game's shots but suspect the O and B's would not register much in the crease.  It's sad.  

16 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

I don't have a heat map of this game's shots but suspect the O and B's would not register much in the crease.  It's sad.  

You can get shot charts here

https://www.hockey-reference.com/boxscores/202410120CGY.html

They had by my count 10 shots - all three goals - below the dots.

40 is a nice number but it's really how effective your shots are.

Or your goalie isn't as .839 isn't going to win a lot of hockey games.

Keep Kolosov on the phone. What's the record for amount of goalie money stashed in the AHL?

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

and the team isn't deep at center.

I get what you're saying but we know it is more than that it's because making the playoffs is more important to them than his actual development

I would have sent him back so they could maybe trade him but i am going to see if they are right on this and well we have to wait...

57 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I get what you're saying but we know it is more than that it's because making the playoffs is more important to them than his actual development

I would have sent him back so they could maybe trade him but i am going to see if they are right on this and well we have to wait...

If there's anywhere we're going to see a power struggle happen, it will be with what's best for Luchanko. I feel they'll send him back. But it's going to be Tortorella who wants to send him back because as mentioned, they want to make the playoffs. I fully expect Richard will get the call. That's a Tortorella move.

Keeping Luchanko isn't a Tortorella move. The Flyers already have one teenager in the lineup that they need to develop physically, but emotionally and help Michkov transition into adulthood. That's a big, big task. The hockey part is easy. The life part isn't. It's going to be all hands on deck with Michkov. I just don't think they have the resources to look after two teenagers. 

I think it'll be Briere that wants to keep Luchanko and that's where they'll fight over that. This could bear watching.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, radoran said:

You can get shot charts here

https://www.hockey-reference.com/boxscores/202410120CGY.html

They had by my count 10 shots - all three goals - below the dots.

40 is a nice number but it's really how effective your shots are.

Or your goalie isn't as .839 isn't going to win a lot of hockey games.

Keep Kolosov on the phone. What's the record for amount of goalie money stashed in the AHL?

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

Thanks for confirming my suspicion.  They got some goals up close, but it looks like most shots were at a distant or at an off angle.  Quality doesn't equal quantity.  

• Like 1

On 10/13/2024 at 1:29 PM, pilldoc said:

Again digress…. Exactly why was Jett on the team to start the season??  In case anyone didn’t notice, he was a scratch last night for Noah Cates.

I think it may be because I've seen some analysts suggest that Cates could actually be a bubble player on the roster this year..maybe they need to showcase him for a trade package (backup G?), or maybe they want him to prove that he belongs...?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

the "they" here is Guelph trading him, yes?

not the Flyers?

I have heard Connor Brown used as a comparison for where Jett's game is now.

I mean that's fine; that's a stone handed, fast skater, who is a useful NHL player.

I'd like to see if Jett could become something more than that. 

So like you, I'd prefer to see him back in juniors trying crazy dangles at top speed so he can have a deeper bag of tricks for when he's really an NHL player. 

I think the point @BobbyClarkeFan16 makes about having the resources to manage two teenagers in the NHL and the one only knows the chirps that Uncle Travis and Scott have taught him for English might carry more weight than we realize.

Edited by mojo1917

27 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

"they" here is Guelph trading him, yes?

Yes i would love to see them maybe trade him to London he would make their top power play unstoppable with Bonk and Barkey or as @flyercanuck said Barrie could use him.

I just would love to see him play on a great team in the OHL than have him in the NHL because they are thin at center because playoffs is the most important thing to them and not what is best for the kid.

I am not going to sit here and say i know more than Danny and Keith.

But if they screw this up it will set them back just like a kid a few years ago who should have been sent back to the Wheat Kings but the Flyers were thin at center back then Ron Hextall i'm talkig to you...