Game 2: Philadelphia Flyers at Calgary Flames; 10/12/24 @ 10 PM, NBCSP. ESPN+

Howie58

Greetings:

Calgary is a mild favorite (-128) with a 69% win probability:

https://www.fanduel.com/research/flames-vs-flyers-prediction-nhl-odds-10-12-2024

The kids were all right last night.  I wonder if the Big Russian is between the pipes?  We'll see what's left in the tank after last night's OT/SO affair.

Fedotov is likeable, but absolutely terrible. We will lose a lot of games this season with this goalie tandem. Not a bad word against Ersson, he is good. But he won't be able to carry the load all by him self.

So, hopefully this will give us that high pick we crave.

Michkov and a healthy Drysdale has completely changed the PP outlook though. More flow, they are actually able to get the puck in the zone and setup shop. More chances. Not saying NHL best PP, but it looks somewhat decent (which is s huge upgrade from previous years).

• Like 3

5 hours ago, ctid said:

Fedotov is likeable, but absolutely terrible. We will lose a lot of games this season with this goalie tandem. Not a bad word against Ersson, he is good. But he won't be able to carry the load all by him self.

So, hopefully this will give us that high pick we crave.

I still have high hopes for Fedotov because I don't think you just become crappy overnight. Clearly something is off and a reset of some sort is needed. If Kolosov shines in Lehigh Valley, I can see a recall on the horizon and I can see Fedotov going down to correct his game. 

• Like 2

From what little we saw last year, plus this game, I'd say Fedotov will come up with a great save but look out of place on other opportunities.  His size can only mask so much. Let's see.

We moved the puck well. But there were no payoffs.

• Like 1

I realize it’s early on, but I wonder if Torts’ coaching style will be contradictory to Matvei’s development. Torts is a defensive minded two way coach and MM is lauded as an offensive star in the making. Maybe the Flyers should let him play do what he does, instead of having a coach shape him into something he’s not

like I said, it’s early. I’m probably wrong. I guess we’ll see

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ctid said:

Michkov and a healthy Drysdale has completely changed the PP outlook though. More flow, they are actually able to get the puck in the zone and setup shop. More chances. Not saying NHL best PP, but it looks somewhat decent (which is s huge upgrade from previous years).

Drysdale is horrible defensively.  Just last night he had two give a ways & was a minus 2.

1 hour ago, Fuzz said:

Drysdale is horrible defensively.  Just last night he had two give a ways & was a minus 2.

Yeah, even strength, he's on the third pairing where he belongs.  But they need a stronger player than Johnson with him.   He and Andrade are potentially a mess.   The way Risto is playing, I may keep him up with Zamula and put Seeler back there with Drysdale.   Or play with 7 defensemen and sit Poehling.  And only play Drysdale in spot situations and power play.

As I'm typing, I don't like the 7 dman suggestion, but I suppose it's a possible option.

I DVR'ed this game and wathced/listened to it as I went about my business this morning....some observations:

-- I know you guys know your team a heck of a lot better than I do, but, I found the team to be quite competitive. Never mind the scoreboard for one second...talking heart, drive, want to win, and, as @JR Ewing might say, "their Give-A-#%^t per 60 minutes is quite high"
That is something that could NOT be said of recent past Flyers teams who seemed lifeless, bored, or just watching the clock until it was time to go home.
If this holds, then that means you fans are, at the very least, in for some pretty entertaining games.....results be damned.

-- The speed and youth on this team is pretty amazing. I watched Flyers players like Brink, Michkov, Farbee, Frost, and yes, even Drysdale, flitter about, zip past Calgary players and I can't help but think if the Flyers can keep this group growing together, that speed and skill will translate to some amazing offense.
Hell, at times, watching some of these young players make plays and setting each other up with the tic tac toe passing for a score reminded me of up n coming TB Lightning players at their best...and YES, that is a compliment to your squad!

-- The goaltending has looked good so far...Ersson in Vancouver, Fedotov in Calgary. That said, it is only two games in, so remains to be seen how well those two netminders hold up over the course of a season....and I also get the feeling Philadelphia just may have to settle in for a 1a and 1b situation, as I don't see either of these goalies completely taking the job away from the other.
Long term, of course, Philly will need to find a true number one, but for now, and if they stay playing reasonably well, a solid tandem works.

Now for some negatives I saw...

-- In this particular game (and truly moving forward any game that features a large heavy team), the Flyers were badly outsized, outmuscled and generally pushed around the ice quite a bit, particularly along the walls and endboards, and when the game slowed down to a 'half court' game.
In that regard (and some of you may yell at me for this), this Flyers team reminds me a bit of the smaller bodied, speedy, skilled teams that the Montreal Canadiens used to ice some years ago....but those teams, like this one now it seems, got pushed around a bit when the game slowed down due to their lack of overall size.

Seemed the Flyers were at their best against Calgary when they sped things up, rushed up and down the ice turning things into 'a track meet', and keeping things generally up-tempo, giving the tough Calgary monsters little time to think and set themselves.
But when cornered and bogged down, the Flames definitely looked superior.

Not sure what Philadelphia can do about this at the moment....you DON'T want to go messing too early with team chemistry, but if a large, reasonably skilled forward from some team looking to sell becomes available, I'd say Philly needs to look real hard at that....maybe a Josh Anderson, Radek Faksa, or a Brandon Duhaime...guys who have decent skill, are somewhat quick, but have good size to help balance the Flyers smaller forwards size.....and another defenseman with some bulk wouldn't hurt either...

-- To use a boxing and martial arts term... "Ring Generalship". 
Flyers looked outclassed here as well, and I chalk that up to straight up youth and being taken advantage of by some of the nastier, craftier, and insidious vets on the Flames.
Take Nazem Kadri for instance....I kept shaking my head every time he pulled ref complaint, gave Flyers players extra shots in the corners or after whistles, then somehow, some way, gets Philly to take the penalty while he skates off.

THEN the guy goes and scores goals to add insult to injury....while guys on the Flyers like Garnet Hathaway, understandably trying to stand up for his team, goes overboard and does stuff that gives Philly an extra penalty....or someone like Foerster jumping a Flames player after a big hit on Drysdale (again, understandable, but ill timed), and ending up with an extra instigator penalty, instead of just taking a number and avenging Drysdale a bit later on.

And that sort of thing went on and in the Flames favor here and there throughout the game...again, mostly due to Calgary being wily and using their experience against a young Flyers group...although a guy like Hathaway SHOULD know better...

So yea, only two games in for your squad, and understanding that all sorts of crazy things happen early in a hockey season, but if I were a Flyers fan, I'd say I am at least enjoying watching this version of the team as they ARE giving it 100 percent effort, very little to no passenger riding, and hope the front office can address the still-glaring weaknesses.

But skill and speed?
Your boys have it up n down the lineup...finally!

Game was an entertaining watch.
Doing laundry and tidying up the living room was never this much fun, thanks to the Flames and Flyers I got to peek in on this morning. ;) 

• Good Post 2

24 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Again digress…. Exactly why was Jett on the team to start the season??  In case anyone didn’t notice, he was a scratch last night for Noah Cates.

Lol!  I watched the game and didn't notice. 

Didn't really notice when he was in, either

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, radoran said:

Does that burn one of his nine games?

It's all so stupid to begin with.

I was thinking the same thing…..

this article makes it sound like it is 9 games total BUT it does not have to be 9 consecutive games….

which makes it even stupider….. 

https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/philadelphia-flyers/latest-news/siobhans-opinion-flyers-sitting-jett-luchanko-was-the-right-decision

Edited by pilldoc
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

this article makes it sound like it is 9 games total BUT it does not have to be 9 consecutive games….

https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/philadelphia-flyers/latest-news/siobhans-opinion-flyers-sitting-jett-luchanko-was-the-right-decision

Yeah, he could stay with the Flyers all season and just play every 10th game. Or not at all. Just sit in the press box.

48 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

I feel dumber after reading The Hockey News these days.

Removed it from suggested content.

:hocky:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, radoran said:

I feel dumber after reading The Hockey News these days.

Removed it from suggested content.

:hocky:

I guarantee if Jett had been sent down to Guelph we would have a treatise on what a great thing it is for the team and his development.

20 hours ago, pilldoc said:

Again digress…. Exactly why was Jett on the team to start the season??  In case anyone didn’t notice, he was a scratch last night for Noah Cates.

because he's fast.

and the team isn't deep at center.

The period I watched, he didn't look bad. 

But he didn't look like he was clocking the league either.

I hope he goes back to Guelph

EDIT:

For me the only way keeping the boy on the team works is if he's showing he's able to dominate.

At regular season speed the one period I got to see, showed me he can survive.

That shouldn't be the goal here- the NHL isn't a developmental league ® @JR Ewing

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1