Flyers General Season 2024-25

Honestly, I look at this team and I see it's more talented than what they were last year. I think it's safe to say that. They should be a better team statistically as well. But there's a lot of ifs.

If Michkov hits. If Ersson is indeed a legit number one. If Foerster avoids the sophomore jinx. If York adds another level to his game. If Drysdale stays healthy. If Fedotov can give 30 games. If the power play hits. If Farabee and Brink can find consistency to their games playing with an 18 year old. If Tortorella can forgive mistakes and not meddle too much with the lines. If Couturier's back doesn't hold up. 

That's just some of the ifs. Now, the other thing is that this is Tortorella's third year here. If you look historically at his coaching career, his third and fourth seasons are typically his best seasons (second and third year in Columbus were his best years there). I think it's probable the Flyers are going to take that next step. I also think we're going to see a big shake up in terms of a  trade and I think we're going to see some major role changes. 

My big prediction. They pull off a huge blockbuster with Buffalo and we see Frost, Farabee, Laughton and draft picks to Buffalo for Cozens, Krebs and Isak Rosen. I think Luchanko is going back to junior and Cozens fits in perfectly behind Couturier and Krebs can center that third line. Call me crazy, but you've got the following line up: 

Foerster - Couturier - Konecny

Tippett - Cozens - Michkov

Cates - Krebs - Brink

Deslauriers/Lyksell - Poehling - Hathaway

That could work really well. 

The defense is also going to be interesting. I really like the York - Sanheim pairing. If I'm Brad Shaw though, I'm asking Sanheim to make a major role change. In particular, I'm asking him to be a Jay Bouwmeester type of defenseman. Use that size and speed and become an elite shutdown defender. Let York worry about the offense.

As for the second pairing, I see Nick Seeler regressing and Egor Zamula takes his spot and ends up really working out well with Drysdale. And I don't think you can sleep on Risto either. 

It's possible they could be five deep at defense and even though they don't have a 'true' number one, having five good defensemen is certainly not s bad thing. 

Goaltending scares me. Really gotta hope that Ersson is better conditioned this year to play more games and that he's ready right at the gate because he wasn't last year and it took him some time to really get into a groove and then he faded when they had to run him. I'd like to see him get 50 to 55 games. At a minimum, I want to see at least a .915 save percentage. As for Fedotov, he looked not bad, but not great during preseason. Hopefully he just worked out kinks and can play in 25-30 games and sport a .907 save percentage at a minimum. But that might be a lot to ask for. 

Yeah, I think they're gonna be better, as much as I thought they might digress. This is a better team than last year's club and yeah, they'll get more points and I could see them getting 97 or 98, which means playoffs when you look at the numbers. 

As much as I bitch and complain about Tortorella, his teams are well coached in terms of adhering to and following the game plan. They don't deviate and they follow through. I rave about Brad Shaw though. He's an incredible defense coach. He really is and he should be the next head coach here. What I like is how well he sees the game and how well he gets his defensemen to adapt to things. He's a gem. I hate Rocky Thompson. There is zero adjustment with his power play and now the plan this year is to use Frost in the slot. He's going to get killed. Either Tippett or Foerster should be the slot guys. They're using a playmaker. I just shake my head. You use Frost down low along the blueline to direct things. The man's an idiot.

Anyways, I'm going to bed, but yeah, this is my hot take. Long winded and I apologize.

• Good Post 2

After the stinker of a game put up by the phillies to end their season, I am ready for some real hockey. I hope Errson gets some real relief from Fedotov and doesn’t burn out 2/3rds of the way through. I also hope that the conditioning of Drysdale is going to hopefully keep him healthy for a change. Coots is another guy who when healthy is incredible. That said, how long has that been? 3 or 4 years seems like. They have lots of young talent who should be coming into their own and have a feel of who they are playing for by now. I am betting they make the playoffs this year. 
Go Flyers!

• Like 4

Does anyone else feel like the Flyers/NHL lost an opportunity to gain some enthusiasm to start the season? This S*** happens every season. They start the first three games on a road trip in the west, with a 3 hour timezone difference.

I know I'm a baby...I go to bed earlier than most. But aside from me having to wake up at the crack of dawn, is anyone getting ramped up for the heated flyers/Canucks rivalry? What about the flyers/flames rivalry?

Last night, it was leafs/Habs, rags/pens, flames/Canucks, Avs/knights, jets/oilers.

Are the flyers concerned about going up against the phillies, so they want late games? Up until 3 years ago, the phillies haven't been in the playoffs for 10 years. Are the Rangers worried about going up against the Yankees or the Mets?

I'm really sour about this. Phillies are out, so I was excited about watching the flyers with a few beers on a Friday night. Now I'll have to watch the highlights the next morning on youtube.

10 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Honestly, I look at this team and I see it's more talented than what they were last year. I think it's safe to say that. They should be a better team statistically as well. But there's a lot of ifs.

If Michkov hits. If Ersson is indeed a legit number one. If Foerster avoids the sophomore jinx. If York adds another level to his game. If Drysdale stays healthy. If Fedotov can give 30 games. If the power play hits. If Farabee and Brink can find consistency to their games playing with an 18 year old. If Tortorella can forgive mistakes and not meddle too much with the lines. If Couturier's back doesn't hold up. 

That's just some of the ifs. Now, the other thing is that this is Tortorella's third year here. If you look historically at his coaching career, his third and fourth seasons are typically his best seasons (second and third year in Columbus were his best years there). I think it's probable the Flyers are going to take that next step. I also think we're going to see a big shake up in terms of a  trade and I think we're going to see some major role changes. 

My big prediction. They pull off a huge blockbuster with Buffalo and we see Frost, Farabee, Laughton and draft picks to Buffalo for Cozens, Krebs and Isak Rosen. I think Luchanko is going back to junior and Cozens fits in perfectly behind Couturier and Krebs can center that third line. Call me crazy, but you've got the following line up: 

Foerster - Couturier - Konecny

Tippett - Cozens - Michkov

Cates - Krebs - Brink

Deslauriers/Lyksell - Poehling - Hathaway

That could work really well. 

The defense is also going to be interesting. I really like the York - Sanheim pairing. If I'm Brad Shaw though, I'm asking Sanheim to make a major role change. In particular, I'm asking him to be a Jay Bouwmeester type of defenseman. Use that size and speed and become an elite shutdown defender. Let York worry about the offense.

As for the second pairing, I see Nick Seeler regressing and Egor Zamula takes his spot and ends up really working out well with Drysdale. And I don't think you can sleep on Risto either. 

It's possible they could be five deep at defense and even though they don't have a 'true' number one, having five good defensemen is certainly not s bad thing. 

Goaltending scares me. Really gotta hope that Ersson is better conditioned this year to play more games and that he's ready right at the gate because he wasn't last year and it took him some time to really get into a groove and then he faded when they had to run him. I'd like to see him get 50 to 55 games. At a minimum, I want to see at least a .915 save percentage. As for Fedotov, he looked not bad, but not great during preseason. Hopefully he just worked out kinks and can play in 25-30 games and sport a .907 save percentage at a minimum. But that might be a lot to ask for. 

Yeah, I think they're gonna be better, as much as I thought they might digress. This is a better team than last year's club and yeah, they'll get more points and I could see them getting 97 or 98, which means playoffs when you look at the numbers. 

As much as I bitch and complain about Tortorella, his teams are well coached in terms of adhering to and following the game plan. They don't deviate and they follow through. I rave about Brad Shaw though. He's an incredible defense coach. He really is and he should be the next head coach here. What I like is how well he sees the game and how well he gets his defensemen to adapt to things. He's a gem. I hate Rocky Thompson. There is zero adjustment with his power play and now the plan this year is to use Frost in the slot. He's going to get killed. Either Tippett or Foerster should be the slot guys. They're using a playmaker. I just shake my head. You use Frost down low along the blueline to direct things. The man's an idiot.

Anyways, I'm going to bed, but yeah, this is my hot take. Long winded and I apologize.

Krebs sucks, he's done nothing, he has a grand total of 18 goals in three years Frost is actually better, we have more than enough underachieving projects on this team. 

32 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

Krebs sucks, he's done nothing, he has a grand total of 18 goals in three years Frost is actually better, we have more than enough underachieving projects on this team. 

Possibly, but it's hard to say.  He's been buried down roster by Thompson and Cozens.  I think, though, with  Cozens coming from Buffalo in the suggested trade, he might continue to be here.

However, if you slot him on the second line and drop Coots to third to return to his defensive center roots, then maybe.

I like Krebs, but Cozens would be the catch in that trade, and Rosen could be a nice piece.   Farabee is the piece I wince at, but I could stomach it.  I don't think they know how to use Frost, and I'm not sure it isn't because Frost has hit his ceiling.  So, I'm okay with his being included.

I also think it will never happen, but it's an interesting concept.

• Like 1

Just now, ruxpin said:

I also think it will never happen

I don't know what needs to happen to convince people that they are not trading (lifetime Flyer and future GM) Scott Laughton.

They could be offered McDavid straight up and Laughton's "intangibles" would make him too valuable to part with.

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

• Good Post 1

28 minutes ago, radoran said:

I don't know what needs to happen to convince people that they are not trading

The Phillies need to win a playoff series and the Eagles secondary needs to tackle someone ... anyone.

When those two  things happen in the same autumn, then I may start to believe the Flyers won't trade Laughton.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

The Phillies need to win a playoff series and the Eagles secondary needs to tackle someone ... anyone.

When those two  things happen in the same autumn, then I may start to believe the Flyers won't trade Laughton.

That happened last year.

True story.

:hocky:

42 minutes ago, radoran said:

That happened last year.

True story.

:hocky:

The Phillies need to win a playoff series and the Eagles secondary needs to tackle someone ... anyone.  Again

6 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

The Phillies need to win a playoff series and the Eagles secondary needs to tackle someone ... anyone.  Again

Can I interest you in a football?

10" Sticker Sign -Lucy Doctor Is in Peanuts Snoopy Vynil Car Sticker

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Possibly, but it's hard to say.  He's been buried down roster by Thompson and Cozens.  I think, though, with  Cozens coming from Buffalo in the suggested trade, he might continue to be here.

However, if you slot him on the second line and drop Coots to third to return to his defensive center roots, then maybe.

I like Krebs, but Cozens would be the catch in that trade, and Rosen could be a nice piece.   Farabee is the piece I wince at, but I could stomach it.  I don't think they know how to use Frost, and I'm not sure it isn't because Frost has hit his ceiling.  So, I'm okay with his being included.

I also think it will never happen, but it's an interesting concept.

Cozens is a big right handed center,  I don't see Buffalo trading him,especially for Frost or Laughton. If they wanna take Drysdale and Laughton ,I'll buy them new luggage. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ruxpin said:

im not sure how I feel about this post :thinking:

22 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Not to be a Sandy Downer or anything, but I still see this team as very much work in progress, figure them to be at or just below 500'ish, but with an understanding that if certain things fall right (ohhhh, yea...health throughout the lineup will help a ton!), and the aforementioned good things happen, this team might actually dangerous overall and moving on up the proverbial contention ladder.

Dear TFG:

That's a thoughtful take.  In my big questions thread a few months ago, I predicted +/- 7 points from last year, so that is marginal playoff caliber or below.  There are too many questions....goal, Coots, forwards....it is a crap shoot.  I agree that they are in a position to move up in the Metro, but wonder if they can.  

One thing is certain.  The honeymoon period for "New Era of Orange" runs with Torts' tenure as Coach.  That means next year, if he stays the term.  If he is replaced at some point, it ends earlier.  The team has to make the playoffs by next year or the fan base will say we've gone nowhere.  This is a hinge phase for the franchise. 

1 hour ago, Howie58 said:

Dear TFG:

That's a thoughtful take.  In my big questions thread a few months ago, I predicted +/- 7 points from last year, so that is marginal playoff caliber or below.  There are too many questions....goal, Coots, forwards....it is a crap shoot.  I agree that they are in a position to move up in the Metro, but wonder if they can.  

One thing is certain.  The honeymoon period for "New Era of Orange" runs with Torts' tenure as Coach.  That means next year, if he stays the term.  If he is replaced at some point, it ends earlier.  The team has to make the playoffs by next year or the fan base will say we've gone nowhere.  This is a hinge phase for the franchise. 

I get the sense that every other team, except Pittsburgh..which is a slightly better team than us right now (though I hate saying it) and Columbus, improved in the division. I just don't see the Flyers being able to make the playoffs in the Eastern Conference, and in the Metro. I get the sense they're going to take a step back in the standings this season, though watching Michkov and his dynamic skill set, will be fun. I'm not sure Tortorella survives this season as head coach, because I believe too much was made out of them just missing the playoffs. Though he coached very well for the Flyers last season, I'm still not convinced he's the right coach for the continuing rebuild.

• Good Post 1

On 10/9/2024 at 6:05 PM, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

My prediction is that there will be a locker room split, Tortorella will step down as coach and move into a senior advisor role and Brad Shaw will be left with trying to clean things up.

I'm just happy no old former geezer player who one time ago "played under him" was brought in before the season starts.

A huge amount of this team was drafted

I mean it's what many many have been preaching thru the draft a team's foundation is built.

Both goalies drafted.

We'll see where they're at.

• Like 2

On 10/9/2024 at 3:14 PM, OccamsRazor said:

my prediction is is that i won't give one...

:beer:

Lol, my prediction will be a bottom five finish in the whole NHL. Torts will have multiple meltdowns and bench the mini Russian Bure just because he feels like it. The goalies will be bad and the Flyers will have a hard time scoring goals. Fighting for 1st overall of the 2025 draft.

13 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I'm just happy no old former geezer player who one time ago "played under him" was brought in before the season starts.

A huge amount of this team was drafted

I mean it's what many many have been preaching thru the draft a team's foundation is built.

Both goalies drafted.

We'll see where they're at.

Yes, definitely preaching build through the draft but, with top 5-10 picks. Unless you have incredible luck, you are not drafting great players who make a difference when you are picking 12-20. We have to suck badly to do that,  we suck, but not enough. That has been the problem for years. We have some good players , that we drafted,but we only have one potentially great player in Michkov. We need a Michkov at center and on defense, then we might be in business. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RonJeremy said:

Yes, definitely preaching build through the draft but, with top 5-10 picks. Unless you have incredible luck, you are not drafting great players who make a difference when you are picking 12-20. We have to suck badly to do that,  we suck, but not enough. That has been the problem for years. We have some good players , that we drafted,but we only have one potentially great player in Michkov. We need a Michkov at center and on defense, then we might be in business. 

Michkov to center might be their best option as a #1 center guess we'll see where they are after their next draft...

2 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

2024-25 Flyers slogan?  🤔 

Suck Better!  :5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool: