Flyers General Season 2024-25

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Michkov to center might be their best option as a #1 center guess we'll see where they are after their next draft...

'

Why must we try to put players in positions they have not played before......

• Like 1

On 10/10/2024 at 3:30 PM, FD19372 said:

Phillies fans are like Charlie Brown, right now. Maybe Eagles fans to this point, also.

Also, hidden video of Eagles practice

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Michkov to center might be their best option as a #1 center guess we'll see where they are after their next draft...

He doesn't have a lick of defense in him. I'm not sure center is wise at this point. Maybe as he matures and Torts breaks him of this offense schmoffense nonsense.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

He doesn't have a lick of defense in him. I'm not sure center is wise at this point. Maybe as he matures and Torts breaks him of this offense schmoffense nonsense.

Don’t worry , Laughton can mentor him.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, ruxpin said:

you see him already on the left side for his first game certainly you don't think they care about the important things 

• Good Post 1

11 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

you see him already on the left side for his first game certainly you don't think they care about the important things 

I saw an interview with Briere and he said that Michkov has played left wing in Russia, so it’s probably a good thing for us since we only have one natural LW in Farabee. 

1 hour ago, RonJeremy said:

I saw an interview with Briere and he said that Michkov has played left wing in Russia, so it’s probably a good thing for us since we only have one natural LW in Farabee. 

guys with his tools can play anywhere when they are ready center should be tried only once he is comfortable playing his wing position and could be even years later but this kid has all the tools he would need to succeed.

right now just getting him rolling and play well is all that matters now 

2 minutes ago, Digityman said:

Are we concerned about Mich's -5 through 4 games? 

/s (kinda) 

crazy stat because he's also got a point per game....I'm not concerned THIS season...give the kid some time to adjust.  We won't see a LOT of D from him, but that's ok, he make's up for it in scoring.  As Flyers pile up the losses, just keep thinking "top 5 pick, top 5 pick, top 5 pick" 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Digityman said:

/s (kinda) 

i'm not sure

he needs to work on the play away from the puck a work in progress still

the problem with this team is the other 5 players we send him out there with...

...we tell him they're teammates...he may beg to differ on some...

5 hours ago, Digityman said:

/s (kinda) 

Nope. +/- is a garbage stat. As others have mentioned, we're talking about a 19 year old boy that's expected to carry this franchise on his shoulders, all the while getting acclimated to living in North America and growing into being a man as well. The fact that he's -5 is kind of a testament to everything that's going on around him.

• Like 3
  • Good Post 1

11 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Nope. +/- is a garbage stat. As others have mentioned, we're talking about a 19 year old boy that's expected to carry this franchise on his shoulders, all the while getting acclimated to living in North America and growing into being a man as well. The fact that he's -5 is kind of a testament to everything that's going on around him.

right now he is on pace for a 40 goal 82 point season not too shabby for a rookie if we want to just cherry pick stats on this dumpster fire sure....the purge must continue

Risto and Laughton you on deck.

Cates well if he ain't in the plans then he can go too no sense in cornering the market on bottom 6 forwards

46 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

right now he is on pace for a 40 goal 82 point season not too shabby for a rookie if we want to just cherry pick stats on this dumpster fire sure....the purge must continue

Risto and Laughton you on deck.

Cates well if he ain't in the plans then he can go too no sense in cornering the market on bottom 6 forwards

I'm fine with Laughton, Cates and Risto being on the block. Hell, I kind of wish they would have decided to move on from either Konecny or Tippett as well. 

Edited by BobbyClarkeFan16
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I'm fine with Laughton, Cates and Risto being on the block. Hell, I kind of wish they would have decided to move on from either Konecny or Tippett as well. 

I would have traded everyone one of them top 6

Farabee Frost Matvei

Lycksell Poehling Forester 

Edited by OccamsRazor

25 minutes ago, ctid said:

What frustrates me, and I'm sure most if not all here, is the fact that the Flyers simply will not acknowledge that a serious Stanley Cup contender over a number of years requires a number of elite talents at key positions. Or let me rephrase, I'm sure the Flyers FO acknowledges this, but how to acquire said elite talents is the real issue here. In todays NHL age the only real strategy is to acquire that through the draft. Maybe one can be acquired through free agency, but that strategy requires the other elite talents are already in the system and the window is opening. Trading for one is so rare and will handicap your team in regards to the assets you'd have to give up. So like it or not, the NHL model of today wants different team eras. It wants success spread out to lure in the respective fanbases and increase the appeal of the NHL. This means each team needs to operate within a cycle. These cycles need be be extremely well planned and executed. We see it in other sports franchises all the time (dont know enough about Football, Baseball, Basketball) especially in soccer. Teams have their core elite talents, they keep them and build around them and when the time comes they tear it down and start over. The Flyers must start to acknowledge:

1. How strategically over time elite talent is acquired (top 5-8 in the draft, preferably 2-4 years in a row)

2. The importance of team cycles, i.e. tear **** down when the time is right and start a new cycle (get the most of your assets while you can in order to facilitate the new cycle)

Until those two things are acknowledged by the Flyers, the franchise will never be able to be a Stanley Cup contender on a regular basis over a number of years.

Perhaps its a bad analogy, but I see it as the human body. The head and spine constitute the core, and this needs to be very strong in order for the body to thrive. Sure, strong arms and legs are absolutely crucial (most of the team). But without a strong core, the body will fail.  You must build from the core out (Michkov). The Flyers are apparently intent on trying to put out a product that can "compete" and try to win every game. This is admirable and I'm sure the gladiators of old would salute them. But this is not how you win in the NHL in todays age. You win by acknowledging the two above points and living by them. I dont personally agree with how the NHL model is constructed, but a choice was made a long time ago to give everybody a chance of being competitive by rewarding a team with elite talents if they suck. So, Flyers, please suck!  

This is bang on. I'm sure someone on here will talk about how Buffalo or Phoenix tried the tear it back to the studs and rebuild and it hasn't gone as planned and that you need to trade and build that way.

The draft picks HAVE to be your foundation. Free agents and trades are used to supplement those draft picks. And simply put, the Flyers have not done that. As well, for the longest of time, the Flyers have been a risk aversion franchise with regards to the draft. It's always been who fits the system the best, not the best player (although Michkov is the exception to that rule). Until that changes, this will always be a club full of two way forwards with no elite offensive ability. 

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

2 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I'm sure someone on here will talk about how Buffalo or Phoenix tried the tear it back to the studs and rebuild and it hasn't gone as planned and that you need to trade and build that way.

Sure, and they may be right. But the point i'm making is the first step, acquiring elite talents. Not sure about Phoenix, but Buffalo one would argue already has acquired them. the second step and consequent steps is developing them, acquiring the arms and legs, right coach, tactics, strategy, timing, etc. So maybe thats where those other teams failed. Just getting the right elite talent is not a guarantee of success. But its a pre-requisite. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ctid said:

What frustrates me, and I'm sure most if not all here, is the fact that the Flyers simply will not acknowledge that a serious Stanley Cup contender over a number of years requires a number of elite talents at key positions. Or let me rephrase, I'm sure the Flyers FO acknowledges this, but how to acquire said elite talents is the real issue here. In todays NHL age the only real strategy is to acquire that through the draft. Maybe one can be acquired through free agency, but that strategy requires the other elite talents are already in the system and the window is opening. Trading for one is so rare and will handicap your team in regards to the assets you'd have to give up. So like it or not, the NHL model of today wants different team eras. It wants success spread out to lure in the respective fanbases and increase the appeal of the NHL. This means each team needs to operate within a cycle. These cycles need be be extremely well planned and executed. We see it in other sports franchises all the time (dont know enough about Football, Baseball, Basketball) especially in soccer. Teams have their core elite talents, they keep them and build around them and when the time comes they tear it down and start over. The Flyers must start to acknowledge:

1. How strategically over time elite talent is acquired (top 5-8 in the draft, preferably 2-4 years in a row)

2. The importance of team cycles, i.e. tear **** down when the time is right and start a new cycle (get the most of your assets while you can in order to facilitate the new cycle)

Until those two things are acknowledged by the Flyers, the franchise will never be able to be a Stanley Cup contender on a regular basis over a number of years.

Perhaps its a bad analogy, but I see it as the human body. The head and spine constitute the core, and this needs to be very strong in order for the body to thrive. Sure, strong arms and legs are absolutely crucial (most of the team). But without a strong core, the body will fail.  You must build from the core out (Michkov). The Flyers are apparently intent on trying to put out a product that can "compete" and try to win every game. This is admirable and I'm sure the gladiators of old would salute them. But this is not how you win in the NHL in todays age. You win by acknowledging the two above points and living by them. I dont personally agree with how the NHL model is constructed, but a choice was made a long time ago to give everybody a chance of being competitive by rewarding a team with elite talents if they suck. So, Flyers, please suck!  

This is a fantastic post!  I mean that very sincerely.  There really is nothing more to add.  Many of us on here feel the same way.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I'm sure someone on here will talk about how Buffalo or Phoenix tried the tear it back to the studs and rebuild and it hasn't gone as planned and that you need to trade and build that way.

Buffalo is a mess. Period.  Not sure what to make of that franchise.  Phoenix ...totally different story.  Yes the argument can be made they sucked when in Arizona, however, this year appears to different.  Yes ... small sample size, but they have a better record than the Flyers.

image.png.86bffd2484bb8a177096787dde55de3c.png

Take a look at their roster ....

image.png.c6066bee56c8a23ea734baed5650cc74.png

As compared to the Flyers .....

image.png.fb8ff796ddf43550807c0fc5cec97047.png

Outside of Michkov I would take many more players from Utah's team.  They are building, all be it slowly, a winner.  It did take them moving to Utah and they picked up a very important piece in Sergachev .......

Agree with your whole post.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ctid said:

Trading for one is so rare and will handicap your team in regards to the assets you'd have to give up.

Unless it's made clear to the entire world that you possible candidate that you drafted hates your organization so much that they won't even sign.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2