Flyers General Season 2024-25

My prediction is that the Flyers disappoint any of us with playoff aspirations this season (which I don't have), and they finish second from last in the league. Then they trade up, and draft Hagens at center, and move Luchanko to wing, with his excellent speed. I'll take 10 years of this line, please.

7 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

My prediction is that the Flyers disappoint any of us with playoff aspirations this season (which I don't have), and they finish second from last in the league. Then they trade up, and draft Hagens at center, and move Luchanko to wing, with his excellent speed. I'll take 10 years of this line, please.

My prediction: the Flyers will finish 1 point out of the playoffs from which DB et al will draw precisely the wrong conclusion and we'll spend the summer in go for it mode. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

42 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

My prediction: the Flyers will finish 1 point out of the playoffs from which DB et al will draw precisely the wrong conclusion and we'll spend the summer in go for it mode. 

You know ...this very well could come to fruition .......  just saying ....

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

If they want to be "a playoff team" they can do that fairly easily. Minnesota's been doing it for 12 years. The Flyers for almost as long, just not as effectively.

Which only goes to show that the gap between "a playoff team" and "a Cup contender" is vastly larger than that between "almost a playoff team" and "a playoff team."

They will therefore try to make the playoffs.

Anything can happen.

:cry:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, FD19372 said:

My prediction is that the Flyers disappoint any  ALL of us with playoff aspirations this season (which I don't have)

FIFY! 

• Like 1

My prediction is Torts will have multiple meltdowns with the media, and most, if not all, of us will bytch, moan and criticize to no end because, well, what is there to be happy about?

New prediciton: Podes will drink too many beers tonight! 

EDIT: Podes to be shot for referring to himself in the 3rd person.

Edited by Podein25
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

New prediciton: Podes will drink too many beers tonight! 

EDIT: Podes to be shot for referring to himself in the 3rd person.

(chuckling )  ... ok Kuato. ;) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

My prediction is the second pair will be our undoing. Seeler will revert to a 6-7 dman he always was and that little runt Drysdale will be a non factor.

There's size on every pairing. Your obsession with size is becoming very Robert Earle Clarke-like. And for what it's worth, Drysdale had a fantastic preseason. He's ready to roll and wants to prove people wrong.

10 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

My prediction is that there will be a locker room split, Tortorella will step down as coach and move into a senior advisor role and Brad Shaw will be left with trying to clean things up.

If he doesn't, maybe they'll hire MeanJoe Greene. 

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

There's size on every pairing. Your obsession with size is becoming very Robert Earle Clarke-like. And for what it's worth, Drysdale had a fantastic preseason. He's ready to roll and wants to prove people wrong.

It’s not size it’s durability. We have size, yeah, Sanheim hits no one and neither does Zamula, which is fine,everyone doesn’t have to hit as long as you contribute in other ways like solid defense or moving the puck and creating something. If you are small and stink defensively like Drysdale, then you better be an offensive force, and an elusive skater, which he isn’t. I can understand a big player like Lindros having a lot of injuries due to playing a physical game but a tinkerbelle who is always injured tells me he isn’t elusive or aware enough to avoid injury and his offensive output does not offset his other liabilities. I’m convinced he is gonna be one of the worst trades we ever made and he will be on the third pair by December. Once Bonk is in the team Drysdale will be traded.

9 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Outsiders point of view here:

Flyers, on paper, look to be a middling, or just below average win team that likely struggles to make the post season due to two important factors: Overall team grit (not enough players on the squad can likely grind for 82 games), and goal prevention, as the defense looks like it might actually be able to help the offense, but no one really stands out as a shut down defenseman, and the jury is still out on whether either Ersson or Fedotov can consistently bail out the Flyer defense if and when those coverage breakdowns happen.

Now, all that said the team COULD be better if:
--Some forwards show versatility (I don't think this team should struggle to score goals...provided Tortorella utilizes his best offensive weapons correctly), and do more than just wait around for a pass and do some other useful things away from the puck.

-- A defenseman or two really steps up and proves himself to be a terror patrolling the blue line, even if they don't show up on the scoreboard regularly...maybe someone like a Nick Seeler or Travis Sanheim. Just someone who the opposing forwards think twice about prancing around carelessly in the offensive zone.

-- Ersson or Fedotov prove to be real hidden gems in goal and can steal more games during the season than people (like me) would give them credit for.

-- Michkov, during the season, when it's real, IS as advertised, and like Kirill Kaprizov in Minnesota, makes the transition from the KHL to the NHL seamlessly, and becomes THE GUY Flyers' opponents have to watch out for every game.

Not to be a Sandy Downer or anything, but I still see this team as very much work in progress, figure them to be at or just below 500'ish, but with an understanding that if certain things fall right (ohhhh, yea...health throughout the lineup will help a ton!), and the aforementioned good things happen, this team might actually dangerous overall and moving on up the proverbial contention ladder.

If this team is going to do anything noteworthy, now would be the time as some teams within the division may take a step backwards (Carolina), aging out (Pittsburgh, Washington), bottom feeders (Columbus), or a complete crap shoot (NY Islanders)....leaving only the seemingly up n coming Devils and the de facto so called best team in the division, The Rangers (with the Canes as well, though, like I said, they may not be as good as the last two seasons), as the prime obstacles to division hierarchy 

So which Flyers team plays the bulk of the games this year?
That is what we will all find out as the weeks and months roll along....

Good luck Flyer fans.
Hoping your team will at least give you games worth watching.

1) you are not wrong

2) most of this we already know

3) Glad we have outside confirmation ....  :) 

and no you are not a "Sandy Downer" .....  we all agree this is a middling club ....unless of course you believe all the kool aid drinking uneducated fans that flock to the Flyers FB fan pages were the FO can do no wrong and Jett is the next best thing to sliced bread and I quote "he can't learn anything else in Juniors and therefore should be on the Flyers" .....  (eye roll)

Appreciate your Good Luck sentiments ......

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Tortorella will step down as coach and move into a senior advisor role

Not that I wouldn't applaud the first part, but the second part scares me, as much as we all know it's coming....and he already is co-GM, clearly.

Ten games into the season, Luchanko gets traded for Tavares, because, veterans. Ryan Reaves comes with Tavares to give it a more Tortsie feel. Fans revolt...again. Flyers fire Briere and hire Hartnells hair to co-GM. Fans agree...THIS time they got it right.

• Like 1