🎿 2024-25 GENERAL NHL SEASON GAMES THREAD 🔊

Oof, the Stars won a game that they should have lost. No surprises at all in Nashville's net: it was Wedgewall in the first, then Wedgeflood in the second. Then, a couple of missed wide open nets, a couple of posts and some great saves by Öttinger, good for the 2-pt steal.

Nothing doing on that PP. Canes did a good job keeping the Bolts from settling in.
Now the Canes get their chance on the man advantage....holding on JJ Moser from the Bolts.

Moser, Geekie, Guentzel, Atkinson....with no Stamkos and Sergachev...definitely a new look to the Lightning and players that have to gel in order for this team to be successful.

Lightning definitely looking quite fast out there, but you could tell some of these players still need time to understand each others' tendancies.

I don't know who this dude is calling the game for ESPN or Hulu ( I don't know...I am pirating a feed, dammit), but he is getting a bunch of stuff wrong....

Calling the Lightning "The Canes"..... getting penalized players wrong (he had me believing JJ Moser got the penalty when it was Brandon Hagel), and NOW he just said, right before commercial break, "We'll be back with the Lightning and Hurricanes, DIVISION RIVALS, here in Raleigh!"

Cmon now...is it REALLY that hard to get stuff right during a broadcast? 😆

Bolts dominating most of the first period, but that tough 3rd line of Martinook-Staal-Carrier for the Canes gets Carolina on the board first.
Wow. Some serious work done by those three.

Lightning still getting chances, but Frederik Anderson is looking sharp so far.

Tampa Bay Lightning will take the opening season game, 4-1, spoiling the Carolina Hurricanes home opener.

Bolts looked very fast, faster than I have seen them in quite some time, no doubt due to the infusion of younger players, but they also looked like a team that still needs to work on overall chemistry, again, due to the new infusion of younger players and players in from elsewhere, and minus some long standing stalwarts.

Guentzel looked alright this game, fit in well playing on the top line with Kucherov and Point.
Cam Atkinson was kept quiet, but again, he looked fast and could find himself with a solid offensive year if all goes well health-wise.

Ryan McDonagh is a welcome sight back. Of course, what I suspected out of him was shown in this game.... meaning he was great in his positioning, made it very difficult for Carolina players to get comfortable in the offensive zone, BUT, when it came to dealing with super fast players (like Svechnikov), he looked very beatable and even a step slow.

For a game 1 for both TB and CAR, this game had an Eastern Conference Finals like feel.... lots of hitting, grinding, both goalies looking super sharp.
Never mind the score, this was really a 2-1 game which the Bolts padded out due to the Canes pulling their goalie...twice.

Frederik Andersen looked good for Carolina, that 3rd line of the Canes, Martinook-Staal-Carrier looked pretty effective, and the Carolina defense did a decent job keeping the Bolts from running away with the game earlier on.

Now the Bolts head back home, my home state for those that don't know, and have to deal with the aftermath of the storms for themselves and their families.
What was supposed to be the second half of a home at home with the Canes has, of course, been postponed to a later date.

Canes will stay home now to play the Devils in a few days, while the Bolts next game after tomorrow's postponement, should be at home, Tuesday, against the Vancouver Canucks.

Watching the Predators at the Red Wings...first time watching either team this year.
Both coming off Season Game 1 losses.

So far, not much going on in this game...a bit of back n forth with puck possession, no major scoring chances.
Interested to see how Steven Stamkos is fitting in with his new team....he STILL doesn't look right in mustard yellow...

11 hours ago, NHL HHOF said:

Alex Ovechkin…played tonight and [did not] score!

Sad.  To celebrate their 50th season, the Caps held a huge reunion.  Even old original radio man Ron Weber (now 91, to whom I listened to uncountable times in the past) called the 2nd period with John Walton on WJFK FM.

But Ovi and the Caps fail to provide the requisite homecoming extravaganzistic result and lose to New Jersey.

Edited by SaucyJack

34 minutes ago, radoran said:

Feather in your cap, that!

😀

I know there is a film or two on it...haven't watched either yet... but I do remember from high school where Joseph Heller's book was required reading for one of my English classes.

Hilarious collection of characters for sure!

2 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

I know there is a film or two on it...haven't watched either yet... but I do remember from high school where Joseph Heller's book was required reading for one of my English classes.

Hilarious collection of characters for sure!

Film and a Hulu series (IIRC). Neither really capture it.

The book - and concept of Catch 22 - is brilliant.

Seguin (2x) and Benn, the young guns are taking take of business against the limited Islanders to save the Öttinger shutout.

Tsyplakov? Well, some interesting offensive abilities but a ton of turnovers as well, like the rest of Roy's team. At least the Stars got a deserved tow points there.

Canucks and Lightning just dropped the puck.
Bolts get their home opener, finally, after the battering of the area caused the original home opener against Carolina to be postponed.

Great relief, I am sure, for many players whose families were in that mess while the team started the season on the road.
I understand though, poor Jon Cooper is stuck in a hotel while some things at his house get sorted.

I can see Cooper passing the time putting himself even more into this work.

And on the ice, and on paper, Van vs TBL looks to be an extremely fast, possibly high scoring game....depending on whether Vasilevskiy and/or Silovs came prepared in this early season that has seen more than one goalie not look like himself.

And as I finish this post, Nikita Kucherov takes advantage of a Vancouver turnover and BOOM...just like that, Bolts up 1-0, four minutes into the contest.