๐ŸŽฟ 2024-25 GENERAL NHL SEASON GAMES THREAD ๐Ÿ”Š

Teddy Blueger with a chance.
First Sprong with the PP goal, now Blueger with the almost breakaway chance that missed.

Former Penguins shining here so far for the Canucks!

And Flames take another penalty as I finish this post, putting Vancouver right back on the PP.
Can Sprong spring for another?
ย 

Power play. Brock Boeser. Score.
2-0 Canucks.

Dan Vladar not looking particularly sharp in net, but also, his team in front of him needs to quit taking extra penalties.
This Vancouver PP isn't messing around. 2 for 2.

And now Conor Garland just put one past Dan Vladar....but the refs are talking this one over.ย 
Offsides somewhere?
We will see.

7 and a half minutes to go in the 1st, and Vancouver has a commanding 13-3 SOG lead to go along with their scoreboard lead.

Some players on the Calgary bench apparently not happy with players on the Vancouver bench, and while Calgary may or may not have a case with whatever it is, bottom line is, they are a step or two slower than Vancouver ON the ice, and they need to rectify that fast before this gets further out of hand.

I always thought the Canucks were a very soft team the last few seasons, but starting with last year, and into this year, they've made enough changes to that roster to not only improve them as a competitor, but to be grittier as well as antagonistic.....and they are doing a number on the Flames on both fronts so far.

And how do you like that?
Anthony Mantha, who has been doing the bulk of the complaining and chirping from the bench for Calgary, AND, who took a penalty during this sequence, comes out of the box, and scores a shorthanded goal.

3-1 game in favor of Vancouver so far, though the Canucks are still on the PP...the 5 on 4 variety, but if Calgary can kill this off, perhaps disaster averted.

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26

Flames kill the penalty.....errr, but ooops...
Vancouver scores right after that on a tip in by Brock Boeser, his second of the night, and completely takes all the gusto out of the Flames to restore the 3 goal lead for the Canucks.

4-1 now with just over 2 minutes left in the opening frame.

3 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Peeking in on NYR-PIT during the intermission in Canada, and wow...
Rangers continue to pummel the Penguins on the scoreboard.

4-0 now midway through the second....and from what I just heard from the broadcast booth "another rush goal".
That tells me the Pens' defense is just not showing up tonight leaving Jarry high and most likely, dry...

No effort by the Penguins! Letang and Karlsson have to go!

And POOF!

Just like that, 4-1 lead for Vancouver turns into a 5-4 deficit as Calgary has scored 4 unanswered.
As bad as the Flames looked early on, looks like somebody on that bench took charge and didn't let this game get away.

Mixture of playmaking and raw attitude to not quit has Calgary in the lead with 8 minutes to go.
As for Vancouver, just when fans were probably thinking, "We can ride out Demko's injury with Silovs", they are probably now thinking, "WE NEED DEMKO!"

I'd imagine neither coach of the teams are happy with this game (VAN or CGY), but for a fan like me, who doesn't really have a dog in this contest...what a game!

Vancouver looks to roll through the Flames.... Calgary comes back big time, takes the lead, then set to put away the Canucks....with two minutes left, Vancouver pulls Silovs, they fumble an offensive zone chance, Calgary takes it, skates the puck towards the empty net, takes a shot, but Vancouver defenseman Quinn Hughes somehow blocks that, gets it BACK to his offense...JTย  Miller... and he fires one past the Calgary goalie, tying the game at 5 and sending this to OT.

3 on 3 coming up...I mean, one could look at this game a bunch of different ways...should either team be happy this is going to OT?
Certainly not Vancouver who commanded early on...but then again, they managed to NOT lose and take it to the extra frame, so yea? Maybe??

And Calgary...can't be happy being down 4-1 early...BUT, they come back, so that should make things better, right?
No, but they give up the lead late, and now find themselves in OT where they probably didn't think they'd be early in the game, but now glad they are (or not...because they lost the lead late!)....

I am going to go lie down and watch the rest from my couch..I have a headache now... :bigteeth:ย 

W
O
W

What a dangling goal to win it for Calgary!
6-5.
Zary. Who the hell is Zary!??

There ya go Flames fans....it most certainly wasn't pretty (in fact, I'd say it was Ms. Piggy wearing an evening gown!).... but it's a win, and the Flames will take it....ย 
2 points is 2 points, especially against a division rival, and it doesn't matter if it IS inbred ugly or not!ย 

3 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

@Brewin Flames
My apologies....looks like the Flames weren't gonna lay a big fat Alberta egg omelet after all.
If ya stayed up for this one, then it was well worth it!ย ๐Ÿ˜„

ย 

ย 

A 10 pm start for me....when you have to be up for work at 4, it's tough.

ย 

Nice comeback win

16 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

W
O
W

What a dangling goal to win it for Calgary!
6-5.
Zary. Who the hell is Zary!??

There ya go Flames fans....it most certainly wasn't pretty (in fact, I'd say it was Ms. Piggy wearing an evening gown!).... but it's a win, and the Flames will take it....ย 
2 points is 2 points, especially against a division rival, and it doesn't matter if it IS inbred ugly or not!ย 

Was a 1st round pick in 2020 that I was keeping my eye on before Calgary started a rebuild. Was good in the AHL too

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

Was a 1st round pick in 2020 that I was keeping my eye on before Calgary started a rebuild. Was good in the AHL too

ย 

I did some reading up on him after the game where Connor Zary scored the game winner.
Pretty sure I am one of the few cement heads that DOESN'T know who he isย ๐Ÿ˜ฌ, seeing as how there was enough info on him out there, and yea, being a 1st round pick (albeit a late 1st rounder, but first nonetheless), there should be no surprise he has a good skillset.

I watch the drafts, but honestly, outside of maybe the top 5-10 players, unless I follow a team regularly or at least semi regularly, I lose track of the prospects and young players that ARE good, and they end up surprising me when they do get my attention at the NHL level.

Fans in Boston not happy.
What looked to be an early Boston lead is wiped due toย  goalie interference.

Montreal gets a mulligan....
But the Habs best not make those glaring errors they did against the Leafs.
Boston is also coming off an opening day loss and are looking to take it out on someone....Canadians must look like fresh meat to the gold bears...

51 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

The Wildebeest errr Hildebeast starts in net, for the Leafs tonight.ย ๐Ÿคฃ

ย 

Wildebeests, Wollruses, and former Penguins in goal.
Are there ANY animals Toronto won't put in net!?? :shifty:ย 

• Haha 1
  • Uggh... 1

Montreal to the PP and they need to get a goal here.
They got away with letting Toronto hang around, I am pretty sure they don't want to take that same chance with the Bruins.

Habs have been doing a decent job setting up plays but the Boston defense, so far, has shown they are up to the task of foiling them.