🎿 2024-25 GENERAL NHL SEASON GAMES THREAD 🔊

Bolts have things well in hand to win their delayed home opener.  And former Vegas goalie Logan Thompson defeats his old mates for Washington’s first win.  Can’t wait to watch the highlights.

RE: Allen

Sounds like an accomplishment that wouldn't be so extraordinary if he were the typical journeyman goalie....having been around the entire league playing for a dozen teams, yea, you'd likely register at least one win against a different team.

But no....since Allen has only played for 3 teams, his mark is a bit more interesting. 
Played for fewer teams than a standard journeyman, yet still managed to register wins against that many franchises.
Means he took advantage of opportunities put in front of him.  Very nice!

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26

7 minutes ago, Math said:

The Jarry-Georgiev will be an interesting fight in the race to win the Vézina.

If Georges Vezina was on drugs...yes. :bigteeth: 

And look...someone woke the Penguins up.
They steal the puck from the Sabres and Malkin and Rust combine for a score.
2-1 Sabres now.

And I don't even finish THIS post, when JJ Paterka runs the Sabres back up the ice, puts one past Jarry, and Buffalo establishes a 3-1 lead.

Tristan Jarry is KO'ed.... in comes Joel Bloomqvist.
Good luck, Joel...

Sabres gonna Sabre.....

Penguins woke up and ended up taking this game in OT 6-5 after what started out looking like a Buffalo rout of Pittsburgh.
Sloppy game all around by both teams, especially the Penguins, but that doesn't matter to them now as they skate away with the two points.

It's friday night, "apéro" time ! Apérol-Spritz with beers and blackberry wine from l'île d'Orléans.

And what I see? Will Smith is scratched for "maintenance" reasons and because it's "part of the plan"

Are you ******** kidding me?!? Part of the plan? Which stupid plan?!? This is the kind of things that drives me nuts. So the new generation is not capable to handle a little bit of a workload? To play against the best? To play with intensity? This is effin' BS. Celebrini is out? Play the goddamn kid at his place!!! Throw him om the first line! Give him PP opportunities! Give him the occasion to step, to show what he's capable of! It's rebuilding time, so what's the matter?

Leo Carlsson was confronted with the same kind of **** last year. "Oh, we'll play him one game over two, give him rest, we don't want to rush him". Ooooohhh poor little kid. Not able to play more than one game a week. A 12-min game? Way too much, He will be exhausted. It's much better to sit his ass on the press-box. ARE YOU KIDDING?!?! These kids are barely 20. Not disabled 97-y.o. oldies with mental issues. Sure, wait till he turns 38 and maybe you can eventually plan to maybe ask him for more... 

Jesus, I'm so tired of this horseshït BS. Johnston scored at his very first game, then go for it. The Stars put him on the third, then the second, and gave him plenty of TOI to express himself and gain experience. And they weren't rebuilding. Same with Robertson. If things didn't work at the first time like Hintz? Back in the minors to play as much as possible and come back stronger.

Am I too old-fashioned? I listened to a podcast today with Bob Hartley and he was saying exactly the same. Nowadays it's all about the "plan", the "concept", but nothing about work and intensity. That's just insane. All these teams that let that happen deserve to rot in the league's basement till the next armageddon.

(Now I'm feeling better)

(AND FIND A GÓDDAMN STYLIST TO DRESS DeBOER!!! I CAN'T STAND HIS SAD OLD GRAY SUITS ANYMORE!!! IT'S A HOCKEY GAME, NOT A FUNERAL!!!) 

Edited by Math
  • Like 2

@Math

Ahhh, a good ol fashioned rant! Nice to read one of those once in a while...especially one that makes some pretty good points.

I believe it's a fine line between 'protecting' a young player for development's sake, and coddling him to the point where he simply won't be ready for a long time if ever.
So, I am kinda torn on how organizations handle their young talent....on the one hand, I think they should be eased in, on the other, why NOT throw them in there to see what they REALLY are under pressure and playing against men?

As an example....Mikhail Sergachev, formerly of the Tampa Bay Lightning, now playing for Utah.
He was traded over to the Bolts as a teenager, and he was put in the NHL roster right away...but played protected minutes, was given days off so he could watch from the pressbox....basically handled with kid gloves on a TB squad that was Cup ready, filled with vets on the blue line, where they felt they didn't need to rush him....and I was cool with all that.

Some seasons later, Sergachev goes from getting paid under 1 mil, to a bridge deal of about 4.5M, then to a huge deal which saw him at a 8.5M cap hit....AND being asked to do things that the organization was asking of Victor Hedman.

Problem was, he was still playing those mostly sheltered minutes all along until he started making that 8.5M. And he really hadn't developed fully still....not to the tune of what he was being asked to do and paid to do.
Bolts never really found out what they had in him because they never threw him into the fire like they did with Victor Hedman when HE was a teenager in the league.

Sergachev is still a good defenseman....but an 8.5M, top pair, do-everything defenseman? So far...no....hence one of the reasons the Lightning traded him (and they were lucky to be able to find someone to take his contract off their hands!).
As good as his offensive instincts can be, as though as he can be on the ice physically, and with as smooth a skater for his bulk as he can be, he has also proven that the can be rattled when the pressure is high, easily made to cough the puck up, he seems hesitant to fully engage fast moving forwards for fear they will burn him in the offensive (his defensive) zone....which ironically, by worrying about that with his timid stick checks, they do EXACTLY that because he overthinks his positioning....and he can also be made to take the extra penalty by getting under his skin when he should keep his cool.

Those are all things the Bolts probably could have found out sooner, and then proceed to work on fixing them, had they not coddled him so much.

I think in the NHL 'forged by fire' applies quite well.
Sure, you shouldn't through some 18 yr old completely to the wolves, but it also wouldn't hurt to dangle him in front of a wild dog or two once in a while, stop giving them so many days off so they can get used to the rigors of an NHL season and career, and just let them sink or swim more than trying to protect them.

That way, the player either develops well while smartening and toughening up along the way..... or falls flat on his face, in which case, the team then knows he isn't worth some big contract just based on one good season and what he 'could project' to...which likely won't happen if he has been covered up and not playing regularly as he should have been.
Again....much like the Bolts did with Sergachev.

And no, this wasn't a rant on my part....think of it as an addendum to yours, Math... :bigteeth: