🎿 2024-25 GENERAL NHL SEASON GAMES THREAD 🔊

NHLseason.thumb.jpg.380fe6d19467ebcd646014ca9c518bf5.jpg                                  

The season, technically starting in Europe between the Sabres and Devils, now starts in earnest with the small slate of games as of this posting, followed by the rest of the week for the game gates to fully open.

So, we can have this thread to discuss any and all teams as they play their games....critiques, observations, and just general team banter as they face down each other on the ice

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26

The Devils are already off to a nice start taking both games from the Buffalo Sabres, and over in the West, just now concluding, the St. Louis Blues skate into Seattle, and take a very well played game away from the hometown Seattle Kraken, who BTW, are sporting the NHL's first full time female assistant coach, Jessica Campbell.
Alright Jessica!
Now....let's see what she can do on the season with regards to helping the team become a winner!

Bruins and Panthers will drop the puck soon...but first....yecch.... (hey, I am a rival fan, what can I say?), the raising of the Stanley Cup banner for "The Champs", the Florida Freakin Panthers.
Panthers had a bit of turnover in the off season, and the Bruins will look to spoil their party.

And a bit later on, the Utah Coyotes...errr, Utah HC play their first salty game as they take on division rival, Connor Bedard and his Chicago Blackhawks.

Posted (edited)

Bruins and Panthers just dropped the puck, they are underway, and Joonas Korpisalo is in net for the B's.....due to, of course, Jeremy Swayman only signing 9 minutes ago :ph34r: 
Interesting to see if Korpi can thrive with Boston. His history seems to be such that behind a good defensive team, he does well....more a system goalie if you will.
Behind a team that is looser on defense and relies more on the goalie to make save after difficult save...not so much.

Fortunately for Korpisalo, the Bruins are generally a good defensive team, and he is still the backup, as multi-million dollar man Jeremy Swayman is 'The Man' there, so that means less exposure, so yea....unless Korpi gets in his own head, he is set up to have a good season playing 30 games or so this season.

Just now, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Uh oh...
Korpi getting abused.
2-0 Panthers on a nice backdoor play by Florida.

Korpi sucks….. that is all.

now back to your regular scheduled programming…

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

While the Bruins generally DO have a good defense, the Panthers are rushing, crashing and bashing their way to the net making the B's defense look pretty pedestrian right now.
This definitely means Korpi needs to come up larger than life to bail out his suddenly struggling defense.
So far, he hasnt...

Did the Kraken expect the locals to take their Tuesday afternoon off from work?  Was today some sort of holiday in Seattle?  (Weird time for an opener, or any game.)

Just now, SaucyJack said:

Did the Kraken expect the locals to take their Tuesday afternoon off from work?  Was today some sort of holiday in Seattle?  (Weird time for an opener, or any game.)

Honestly, I highly doubt the Kraken had much say in the game's scheduling.
You know how it is now...all about the TV execs, they set the schedule so they can neatly put one game after another on their network.....actual people attending the game or not be damned.

If Seattle would have their way, they's like prime time 6 or 7pm their team.....but of course, that would displace the new/old Coyotes from making their debut in primetime on the same network, so the execs weren't having that....

Matt Tkachuk doing Tkachuk things....getting under the skin of the opposition, acting like he was killed as he topples to the ice, but then pops right back up looking for fight.
And somehow, he gets the Bruins to take a penalty..... Panthers to the PP already up 2-0.

Will we see Swayman in there if Korpi gives up another?

Bruins get themselves a short handed goal, and boy did they need that!
It probably would have been enough to simply kill off the penalty, but to come up with a goal instead? Huge.

FLA still has time on their PP though, so they can dampen the excitement for B's fans.
But right now, 2-1 Florida looks better for Boston than 2-0....certainly better than 3-0.

Korpi may be in there for longer then. :bigteeth: 

Sam Reinhart, one on one with Charlie McAvoy, not only beats his defensive counterpart, but scores a nice goal to put his team up 3-1....a short hander returning the favor on the Bruins.
Korpi may be on shaky ground once again, although, Charlie McAvoy...hey buddie... Reinhart made you look like an AHL'er there man! 

Posted (edited)

Mercifully for the Bruins, the horn sounds for the end of the 1st.
Florida was looking like they were digging for a 5th goal, and they MIGHT have gotten it had the period gone on longer!

I am betting B's fans are fuming right now, and wanna see their 66 million dollar man on the ice PRONTO!
But to be fair, while Korpi needed to make stops, the Bruin defense just has not looked as good as the Panther attackers.

34 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Honestly, I highly doubt the Kraken had much say in the game's scheduling.
You know how it is now...all about the TV execs, they set the schedule so they can neatly put one game after another on their network

OK.  Now I see that Tuesday is hockey night on ESPN.  (Only.  Any other day, their hockey is ESPN+, I didn’t notice how they did things last year, perhaps the same.)

Being de facto Opening Day, they wanted a Triple Bill, thus the early start, somewhere.  Seattle.  (I see that most Tuesdays are a Double Bill, but there’s another Triple later this month with a game starting at 5 Eastern.)

Former Lightning farmhand, Cole Koepke now with the Bruins.
Looks like he is playing on their 4th line, looking to finally find a home in the NHL, even if its as a 4th liner.

Bolts gave him chances to crack their lineup and stay, but his overall body of work seems to suggest he is either a high end AHL'er, or a bottom six, checking NHL forward.
Fits in better with Boston's M.O., but we'll see if he has the legs to stay even with them.....or if he becomes an afterthought in Boston as well.

I’ll reckon most Chicagoans are happy that the Blackhawks opener is on standard cable (ESPN).  That’s because Comcast, the largest TV provider in the Chicagoland Region, has yet to come to financial agreement with the new Chicago Sports Network (CHSN) that just supplanted the now-defunct NBC Sports Chicago.

Apparently, the Hawks/Bulls/Sox owners are making CHSN free to those close enough to get the direct-over-the-air broadcast, via digital aerial (i.e., antenna).  How many people in this day and age do that?  (How many people since, say, 1982 have done do?)

At least for opening night, Hawks fans with Comcast can enjoy watching being down 3-1 after two.

Posted (edited)

While the "big" game in America right now is NYR at Pitts, I am settling in to watch the "big" game on the Eastern side of Canada: Toronto at Montreal.

As a Bolts fan, those Canadian clubs have far more intrigue for me being division rivals.
Also, is Montreal really ready to take their next steps? Toronto SHOULD make the playoffs and Montreal...well, most have slated to finish near the bottom once again.

But I believe in Marty St. Louis, I believe his competitiveness, desire, and will to win is contagious....and the Habs DO have quite a bit of talent in that lineup.
I want to see how it stacks up to an established contender like the Maple Leafs.

As for the Leafs, I know Craig Berube will have them "compete harder!"....there is no question there.
But will the end result be there? Can he pull of a St. Louis Blues title with the Leafs?

Lots of other questions need to be answered....and we will only get those as the season rolls along.

Montreal, at least in the opening, is having a good showing against the Leafs, even getting the opening PP.
But, they didn't capitalize on it, and now THEY have taken a penalty, and the lethal Toronto PP takes the ice....