Jett Luchanko

Is Luchanko ready for the bigs?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Is Luchanko ready for the bigs?

• Hell yes, didja see him do the thing!!!!?!?!??
    • Um, Jamie Drysdale is RIGHT there, send him back to junior.

@SCFlyguy

I don't see anyone insisting he be kept with the Flyers.

do you?

I see some arguments against keeping him that don't make sense, which is different.

An example  "barely a first round prospect", he was going to go in the first round.

You'll have to look fairly hard to find a mock that didn't have him listed a first-round talent.

So, when people speak about his "needing more muscle"? that says I haven't seen him/haven't been paying attention- to me.

He will need to have another growth spurt if he's going to reach @ruxpin's target of NHL average size. 

That may not happen.

If he winds up being a Brayden Point sized and style player, I'd take that. I think think most people would.

I think it portends well that he's standing out in his first NHL camp.

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

You'll have to look fairly hard to find a mock that didn't have him listed a first-round talent.

He was 20th in North American skaters - most of the folks around him went first round.

Most agree that 13th was high, but that the youth and growth potential could justify the pick.

So, when people speak about his "needing more muscle"? that says I haven't seen him/haven't been paying attention- to me.

I don't say "he needs more muscle" - I think he can put on some more size and be ready to face the Arber Xhehaj's of the world better than he would this season.

That said, the Lightning top line is listed at 5'11/180 across the board.

If he winds up being a Brayden Point sized and style player, I'd take that. I think think most people would.

Would we be OK with a Buchnevich, Verhaeghe, or Trochek?

(All of those guys are third rounders, like Point)

If he's a .9ppg he's a find (70-80 points). If he's a .75ppg player, he's a solid pick (~60 points).

Nobody wants a Blake Siebenaler or Louie Belpedio.

:hocky:

Edited by radoran
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, ruxpin said:

"man among boys"

exactly and it could get him hurt he isn't strong enough yet like Michkov even though he is technically bigger he isn't strong enough to hold 6-4 220 D men off him the way Matvei has shown us he can do.

even though he isn't very big that little man is a mountain to move when he wants to hold onto the puck his trunk on down is so strong lower body strength that will rival Marty St.Louis' built like a fireplug.

Jett will get their with time and development so i'm not worried.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, radoran said:

That said, the Lightning top line is listed at 5'11/180 across the board.

In my mind or my eyes i want "strength" that usually just comes with the size sure some literal weight would help i agree

but i think many have played at his weight or smaller

i more want the strength to be able to for example brace himself going into the corner ie be able to not be crushed by a huge check chasing the puck

have the strength to absorb those blows and it not put him out weeks being hurt.

Something that is a perfect to see what i mean when you watch Matvei play dude can put on a clinic at his age his minds is so much wiser than his age.

and i am sure this is what you are referring to as well just saying in general is all.

One more year and Jett will be ready for sure....

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Something that is a perfect to see what i mean when you watch Matvei play dude can put on a clinic at his age his minds is so much wiser than his age.

Matvei is built like a fire hydrant and he plays like it. Which is a good thing when paired with his hands (much like *cough* AO).

Fun fact: Point went back to his Junior team after his draft year, again led them in scoring, and they again missed the playoffs. Nolan Patrick was rookie of the year in the WHL.

Small world.

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

2 hours ago, radoran said:

Which is a good thing when paired with his hands (much like *cough* AO).

some can laugh if they want but i haven't felt this way of excitement since Big E for real...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

some can laugh if they want but i haven't felt this way of excitement since Big E for real...

Michkov: 3 goals 6 pts* in 3 games... easy math = 2pt/g

guy comes over starts grandstanding right away... figures... risky pick backfiring already 😋

* make that 7pts - incredible shot/pass on TK's goal ... only the Flyers' 7th SOG halfway thru the game; Bruins have 21.

Ersson is pretty sharp basically the only reason the Flyers are in the game.

Mostly regulars for both teams except Bruins' goalie Brandon Bussi.

28 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Luchanko makes it through final cut.

As you know and I know and they know he honestly was never not going to make the roster out of camp.

image.gif

32 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I'm hoping it's only a 9-game taste, or everyone involved should be fired.

Not because it's best for his development, but because he is the second best center on the roster (AKA, best pile of $h!t in a field of manure) and they need to make the playoffs! Anything can happen!

When's the last time the Flyers sent a guy back after his cup of coffee rather than expecting him to be a Starbucks franchise?

🤔

Fun fact, I think it was Scott Laughton.

3 hours ago, pilldoc said:

Why the need to rush this kid??? 
I am only ok with this if it is for 9 games only.

I guess they feel like Luchanko somehow gives them a better shot, to get playoff revenue for a few games. In my opinion, the organization is being selfish, egotistical and unrealistic, and possibly damaging the kid's career by putting him on the big club too early. I don't think he's ready. This isn't a talented enough veteran group, that is going to allow him to transition in seamlessly.

Edited by FD19372
  • Like 1
  • Good Post 1

9 hours ago, FD19372 said:

I guess they feel like Luchanko somehow gives them a better shot, to get playoff revenue for a few games. In my opinion, the organization is being selfish, egotistical and unrealistic, and possibly damaging the kid's career by putting him on the big club too early. I don't think he's ready. This isn't a talented enough veteran group, that is going to allow him to transition in seamlessly.

I feel like this is also management going Look, the guy we passed on Buium for made it while he didn't...we so smart!

So we have Couturier, then Frost, then ? I mean is Luchanko more NHL ready than Laughton, Poehling, Cates ? I'd guess there's 31 NHL GMs that would say no, he's not. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

I feel like this is also management going Look, the guy we passed on Buium for made it while he didn't...we so smart!

Yeah, i was thinking exactly this. It's so batshit crazy that i didn't post it, but I'm convinced it's exactly this.

• Like 1

This is 100% Tortorella who wanted this. For all the talk about development of players, they want to win more than anything, young players be damned. And shame on management for not telling Tortorella that he needs to go back and they're all walking with him on this. If this backfires (and there's a big chance it will), they need to be fired. Enough of this nonsense of bringing in these retreads. Get rid of everyone. From management to senior advisors to coaching. Get rid of EVERY SINGLE PERSON. The only good thing for Luchanko is that he's got good wingers on Farabee and Brink to play alongside.

• Like 2

Fantastic article in the Athletic....

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5816186/2024/10/04/flyers-jett-luchanko-roster-prospect/

Both Flyers director of player development Riley Armstrong and assistant general manager Brent Flahr made mention of what Luchanko needs to work on: his finish and his decision-making in the offensive zone.

“I think sometimes you get a little too focused on defense — I think he can free himself up, especially with his speed and whatnot, he can probably take a few more chances,” Flahr said in July. “I would expect to see a significant improvement on his production.”

Said Armstrong: “I think when you come down the rink and you’re always looking to pass, teams, especially in pro, they’ll start to figure out pretty quick when they’re doing video that he’s going to look to pass. … But as soon as he starts to work on his shot and he brings that into his game, he’s going to probably start to beat a lot of goalies short side that are cheating for that pass.”

Let this sink in for a moment on why he needs to go back to his Junior team .....  In 4 preseason games Jett finished with 2A, (both in the preseason opener vs. the Caps on Sep. 27 against a decidedly weak Capitals roster. Since then he’s managed just two total shots on goal over four more games. He needs to work on his offensive game if he is to become a more dangerous threat.  That will only happen with his Junior team.   The kid had a great camp, but two shots on goal in four preseason games is not the profile of someone who can step in right away and handle top-nine minutes in an NHL lineup. He had one great game and three others where he just kind of blended in, and that was in preseason. Once the regular season starts and all the vets start trying he is going to get his ass kicked. That doesn't mean he's a bad player, it just means he's 18.

While Jett didn’t look out of place in 4 preseason games and, as the article alluded to,  didn’t make any glaring mistakes aside from a hooking minor in Boston on Tuesday, that’s just not enough to make the jump for someone at this stage of his career. When it comes to players of his age and pedigree, the bar has to be sky-high. As proficient as Luchanko seems to be with his legs, work ethic and hockey smarts, he still has a noticeable weakness. The weakness lies on his offensive part of the game.

The place for him to improve upon that weakness isn’t with the Flyers. It’s back in the OHL, and in all likelihood, with Team Canada at the World Juniors.

However it is the last part of the article that hits home and I will copy and paste ....

GM Daniel Brière and president of hockey operations Keith Jones are going to have to stand firm though if that’s the case, though. One of the pillars of the rebuild is ensuring they only bring players up when they’re ready. As Jones said last September, “We want to have clear, identified roles for the players that we have in our system. We want to make sure those players are focused on becoming National Hockey League players, and realize that if they do the things (in lower leagues) that they need to do up here, that’s going to serve them well. That’s really something that we’re going to continue to push.”

Luchanko has impressed. That much is undeniable. But that organizational philosophy, as detailed by Jones, shouldn’t change.

The article shows undeniably Luchanko plays "responsibly," would win the team "iron man" competition, and as was his draft calling card - can skate. All wonderful learn or have confirmed. However ALSO confirmed are limited offense, which was the universal question about Luchanko across scouting services as he entered the draft.  This is why I questioned the pick from the very beginning.

Let Luchanko develop his offensive game as a junior (as mentioned he's very young for his class). That's where you build on things.

• Like 2
  • Good Post 2

21 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Both Flyers director of player development Riley Armstrong and assistant general manager Brent Flahr made mention of what Luchanko needs to work on: his finish and his decision-making in the offensive zone.

Yes...and like the complete idiots that they are, they kept him up where it will be extremely difficult for an 18 year old to work on that. 

Just f***ing brilliant!

• Like 2
  • Uggh... 1

16 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Yes...and like the complete idiots that they are, they kept him up where it will be extremely difficult for an 18 year old to work on that. 

Just f***ing brilliant!

there in lies the idiocy of this organization and FO …. 

I know we joke about it but it really is true….. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss…..

• Like 1

It's truly aggravating that here we still are. Change the coach, change the GM, arrest the goalie, rinse, repeat, and we still have the same brain dead filasifee.

The thing is, they often say the right things -- you quoted Jones doing it -- and then proceed to do the diametric opposite. 

Presumably because there's pressure from some moronic bean counters at Comcast.  They destroyed their own ISP business, why not a hockey team?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

It's truly aggravating that here we still are. Change the coach, change the GM, arrest the goalie, rinse, repeat, and we still have the same brain dead filasifee.

The thing is, they often say the right things -- you quoted Jones doing it -- and then proceed to do the diametric opposite. 

Presumably because there's pressure from some moronic bean counters at Comcast.  They destroyed their own ISP business, why not a hockey team?

I figured when Fonzie was saying "We need to talk about Luchanko" or something like that, that he was staying up. It's better for Tortorella, it's a better look, now, for management, but it's not better for Luchanko or the future of the franchise.

• Like 2