Jett Luchanko

Is Luchanko ready for the bigs?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Is Luchanko ready for the bigs?

• Hell yes, didja see him do the thing!!!!?!?!??
    • Um, Jamie Drysdale is RIGHT there, send him back to junior.

5 hours ago, ctid said:

That's insane. When is he NHL draft eligible?

2026. He had 6 pts, 4 goals in the Spitfires home opening romp against Kitchener...a 12-2 blasting. 

So, 8 pts in Ethans's first 2 OHL games, 4 goals and 4 assists. 

Some estimate the 16 year old will be 6'7 and 250 lbs when he stops growing around 18. 

Edited by jammer2
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, jammer2 said:

2026. He had 6 pts, 4 goals in the Spitfires home opening romp against Kitchener...a 12-2 blasting. 

Some estimate the 16 year old will be 6'7 and 250 lbs when he stops growing around 18. 

Just saw some YouTube highlights of him. He is ridiculous. His skating and stick handling for that size is impressive. Very interesting prospect to follow the coming years. Does he have any power to his game? Not that he needs it right now, everyone he plays against in the YouTube highlights are midgets compared to him.

Edited by ctid

22 hours ago, jammer2 said:

Most importantly the Flyers management are interested in his play away from the puck.

1 hour ago, Digityman said:

Torts, Danny and Jones talking about Jett - 16:30m mark

good video .....  @AlaskaFlyerFan posted the same video here ....

It was a good watch.  A few things I picked up on ....

1) There is a true comradery in the locker-room.  I don't get any sense of division.  Of course I recognize that production will try to put a positive spin on things.

2) I am impressed how Torts thinks of the whole team mentality is a positive one and that he will stack that up against any other NHL team out there.

3) However he is quick to point out they don't have enough talent. (more to that point in a moment)

4) I appreciate the business like attitude the players have, if what was portrayed in the video, actually happens everyday on the ice.

5) Jett has made a very positive impression, apparently he was one of the few who could keep up with Tippett from a skating drill perspective.  (more on that in a second).

6) Appreciate the candidness of Torts but lets be honest,  production will not allow negative comments that Torts might have of any player and be aired in a public fashion such as this video.   I am sure there there are concerns for some but they will remain private.

Let's be honest here .... I have not problem with a unified team and a “Kumbaya” type atmosphere in the locker room.  However, the ultimate goal is to win a Stanley Cup and to do that you need more talented players.  Michkov is a start.  Despite my personal feelings Luchanko may or may not exceed many of our expectations. Torts admitted that from purely a talent perspective, they may not be on the same par as other NHL clubs.  That falls squarely on the shoulders of the FO.

As far as Luchanko .....  what is good for this kid overall. Does sending him back to his Junior team help him more?  Can he handle the the overall grind of a NHL schedule?  Ideally I would love for him to go to LV for a portion of the year.  However the CBA does not allow for that.  An argument can be made to allow him and Michkov grow together and develop that chemistry ......  It is apparent he has made a very solid impression on the FO staff.  However, I am in absolute agreement with other suggesting be go back to his Jr. Team.  I am not opposed to a 9 game tryout to show him what he needs to work on, but IMHO it would be best for both him and  the Flyers for him to go back to his Junior team.

Finally it is interesting to note that Torts does really care about the numbers of the skating drills.  He is more focused on how the respective players handle adversity. At least that is what I picked up on ......

13 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

It is apparent he has made a very solid impression on the FO staff.  However, I am in absolute agreement with other suggesting be go back to his Jr. Team.  I am not opposed to a 9 game tryout to show him what he needs to work on, but IMHO it would be best for both him and  the Flyers for him to go back to his Junior team.

I like Luchanko fine, and I think we'll all like Luchanko more once he has the 18 months' difference that Michkov has under his belt.

Michkov is 20 in December. Jett just turned 18 in August.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, ctid said:

Just saw some YouTube highlights of him. He is ridiculous. His skating and stick handling for that size is impressive. Very interesting prospect to follow the coming years. Does he have any power to his game? Not that he needs it right now, everyone he plays against in the YouTube highlights are midgets compared to him.

I heard he likes to throw his weight around, but have not seen him live yet.

2 hours ago, pilldoc said:

Let's be honest here .... I have not problem with a unified team and a “Kumbaya” type atmosphere in the locker room.  However, the ultimate goal is to win a Stanley Cup and to do that you need more talented players.  Michkov is a start.  Despite my personal feelings Luchanko may or may not exceed many of our expectations. Torts admitted that from purely a talent perspective, they may not be on the same par as other NHL clubs.  That falls squarely on the shoulders of the FO.

As far as Luchanko .....  what is good for this kid overall. Does sending him back to his Junior team help him more?  Can he handle the the overall grind of a NHL schedule?  Ideally I would love for him to go to LV for a portion of the year.  However the CBA does not allow for that.  An argument can be made to allow him and Michkov grow together and develop that chemistry ......  It is apparent he has made a very solid impression on the FO staff.  However, I am in absolute agreement with other suggesting be go back to his Jr. Team.  I am not opposed to a 9 game tryout to show him what he needs to work on, but IMHO it would be best for both him and  the Flyers for him to go back to his Junior team.

I don't know how anyone could NOT like a guy who plays with the heart this kid does. He'll be a fan favorite I'm sure. I just don't see him being a true #1 centre...and if he's ours, we aren't winning any cup. Again, love the kid, but management is wasting the years we should be grabbing top end talent. 

Luchanko will be on a better team this year. As jammer mentioned, he may even get traded to a contender. I'd love to see him come to Barrie so I could watch him more. And of course he'd have better linemates. And the fact our #1 is out 6-8 weeks. Anyhoo, he needs to go back to junior. A just turned 18 year old who isn't a superstar, what could possibly go wrong in the NHL on a John Tortorella coached team? 🤨 

They've done this dumb shite enough times...please, no more. Obviously he needs to work on his shot, it's his biggest shortcoming...that, and faceoffs. What better place to work on those than junior?

• Like 4

On 9/27/2024 at 9:15 AM, mojo1917 said:

I think this kid looks pretty good.

I've watched him in the rookie game and in last night's game vs a more NHL than not Islanders club.

His skating stands out. I saw him make some really smart plays along the boards and make some pretty good passes in the offensive zone. 

For me, I'm wondering how beneficial to his development sending him back to Guelph would be?

As I said in the poll, the cautionary tale is now 4 years into his career and there are many questions about his viability because he looked good, was in the league too early and didn't "prosper".

Is it better for him to go back to a middling team and carry the load, make passes that can't be handled or finished? Does he quit trying to make them by January?

Does playing with better teammates help a guy like him? He'd most likely be paired with a Brink or Farabee or maybe both...?

Or do folks see him as being able to swim okay so let's throw him in the middle of the ocean?

He won't make the next "step" skill-wise because he's able to make a "safe" play and gets his pt cut when he tries to high skill stuff.

I think it's a tough question. I don't know the answer, I lean toward letting him play in the 9 games and see if he continues to stand out, if he's just meh, it makes it easier to send him back. 

right now though, he's looking like a very good prospect.

Guelph. Period. End of discussion.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I don't know how anyone could NOT like a guy who plays with the heart this kid does. He'll be a fan favorite I'm sure. I just don't see him being a true #1 centre...and if he's ours, we aren't winning any cup. Again, love the kid, but management is wasting the years we should be grabbing top end talent. 

I think you misunderstood  my comment, and after rereading my post, I can see why.  I disliked the pick at the time.  I don't dislike the player ....  I agree with your entire post.

Sorry for the confusion .... :( 

2 hours ago, pilldoc said:

I think you misunderstood  my comment, and after rereading my post, I can see why.  I disliked the pick at the time.  I don't dislike the player ....  I agree with your entire post.

Sorry for the confusion .... :( 

No, I got ya...I was just generalizing, not saying you didn't like him. 

I disliked the pick too. But certainly like the player. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, pilldoc said:

I don't know what they'll do, but this is so slam dunk easy it's like playing against the Eagles.

Send him down. There should be no debate.  He's simply not ready, and bringing him up too soon will only destroy the mid-tier projection he has. 

I don't want him anywhere near LV even if it were possible. He'll grow much better in juniors.  He's not big; in fact, he's smallish. So, there's little concern about the "man among boys" thing you sometimes see keeping someone in juniors. And, as one of the youngest draft-eligible players, there's even less concern.  There is, however, concern about a mid-round draftee who was among the youngest being thrust unnecessarily into the NHL lineup simply because it's years since Flyers management did its job and it's now grasping for even apparent capable bodies. 

Maybe a 9 game to give him a taste and then go back to learn how to stay.  But I'm fine sending him down before I stop typing.

Of course, this means he'll absolutely stay up. And then the mud eaters from mid-sized cities in Arizona will tell us, "see!  Draft picks don't work!"

Edited by ruxpin
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Of course, this means he'll absolutely stay up. And then the mud eaters from mid-sized cities in Arizona will tell us, "see!  Draft picks don't work!"

or the idiot fans on FB / twitter will be thumping their collective chests stating they know what they are talking about…..

#keyboard warriors 

• Like 1

They should be very patient with the kid.  He's extremely young & should be sent back to Jrs.   Let him put on more muscle & weight before playing in the NHL.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Fuzz said:

Let him put on more muscle & weight before playing in the NHL.

He is NOT small. I don't know where this idea is coming from. But it's not based on looking at the kid.

He's a workout freak/gym rat whatever you want to call it.

His physical fitness and build are a big reason why he stands out.

Have you gotten a load of him? 

2 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

He is NOT small. I don't know where this idea is coming from. But it's not based on looking at the kid.

Maybe because he's only 5'11" and < 190 lb.    For a center, that's not exactly big.   He would have been the shortest center on the Flyers last year by 3 inches, and the lightest (only a little; 3 lbs less than Scott Laughton, who has become world class at that weight)

He's objectively small for the position.  He's like 12 years old, so he may still grow a little and he'll almost definitely add weight, but this is reason number 57 that I don't keep him on the big club yet.

Edited by ruxpin

10 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

He's a workout freak/gym rat whatever you want to call it.

His physical fitness and build are a big reason why he stands out.

Have you gotten a load of him? 

I wouldn't call him small, (and he IS a physical specimen) but he's smaller than the average NHLer, right now. Average size last season was 6'1 1/2 and 199.54 lbs. Luchankos around 5'11" 190? He'll likely be an average size centre when he's ready.

Edited by flyercanuck
  • Like 1

I have to say that the insistence that a kid who was barely a first round prospect, who just turned 18, and who no credible hockey source thinks should be in the NHL, make the opening night roster is extremely weird.  It would be malpractice to do this.