Jett Luchanko

mojo1917

Is Luchanko ready for the bigs?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Is Luchanko ready for the bigs?

• Hell yes, didja see him do the thing!!!!?!?!??
    • Um, Jamie Drysdale is RIGHT there, send him back to junior.

I think this kid looks pretty good.

I've watched him in the rookie game and in last night's game vs a more NHL than not Islanders club.

His skating stands out. I saw him make some really smart plays along the boards and make some pretty good passes in the offensive zone. 

For me, I'm wondering how beneficial to his development sending him back to Guelph would be?

As I said in the poll, the cautionary tale is now 4 years into his career and there are many questions about his viability because he looked good, was in the league too early and didn't "prosper".

Is it better for him to go back to a middling team and carry the load, make passes that can't be handled or finished? Does he quit trying to make them by January?

Does playing with better teammates help a guy like him? He'd most likely be paired with a Brink or Farabee or maybe both...?

Or do folks see him as being able to swim okay so let's throw him in the middle of the ocean?

He won't make the next "step" skill-wise because he's able to make a "safe" play and gets his pt cut when he tries to high skill stuff.

I think it's a tough question. I don't know the answer, I lean toward letting him play in the 9 games and see if he continues to stand out, if he's just meh, it makes it easier to send him back. 

right now though, he's looking like a very good prospect.

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 1

they keep saying that he seems to be developing chemistry with Matvei....if nothing else it would be fun to see if that dynamic continues and can be effective against the best in the league....but at the same time, he has a lot to work on....they keep saying that Jett needs to work on his shot...

• Like 1

There is NO reason to put him through the grind of an NHL season right away, along with players who's games are more advanced at this point. He needs seasoning and honing of other skills, to go along with the very good speed that he already possesses. Let him get more experience in the Ontario Hockey League, at Guelph. Luchanko and Michkov should be a pretty dynamic duo for a decade, or so, once Luchanko is ready for the NHL.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FD19372 said:

There is NO reason to put him through the grind of an NHL season right away, along with players who's games are more advanced at this point. He needs seasoning and honing of other skills, to go along with the very good speed that he already possesses. Let him get more experience in the Ontario Hockey League, at Guelph. Luchanko and Michkov should be a pretty dynamic duo for a decade, or so, once Luchanko is ready for the NHL.

When I watch him he looks mostly ready, that's why I'm asking.

@flyerdog says he heard they'd like him to work on his shot.

That can happen at Guelph. 

@flyercanuck

I think if I knew he was going to a team where he could play with other skilled guys I'd feel better. Last season it was him and a bunch of POWs. 

How can anyone accurately gauge his ability  if he makes a pass to a kid that breaks the wrong way or can't handle it in the traffic. i think it's a legitimate question to ask. At which point does he just say f this I'm doing it myself.

Then is that good? 

I don't know. It's fun to see the speed though.

FWIW i think he should be allowed to go back to junior so he can be dominant. Also your point about playing for team Canada at the World juniors is well taken.

15 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

When I watch him he looks mostly ready, that's why I'm asking.

@flyerdog says he heard they'd like him to work on his shot.

That can happen at Guelph. 

@flyercanuck

I think if I knew he was going to a team where he could play with other skilled guys I'd feel better. Last season it was him and a bunch of POWs. 

How can anyone accurately gauge his ability  if he makes a pass to a kid that breaks the wrong way or can't handle it in the traffic. i think it's a legitimate question to ask. At which point does he just say f this I'm doing it myself.

Then is that good? 

I don't know. It's fun to see the speed though.

FWIW i think he should be allowed to go back to junior so he can be dominant. Also your point about playing for team Canada at the World juniors is well taken.

Plus in Guelph he'll get pp time and I imagine PK time as well. His speed and tenacity would make him a good one.

• Like 1

No way i start him in the NHL. He literally just turned 18. His junior team will not be bad. Send him back to continue to learn. Keeping him up is a horrific mistake. 

At the same time, keeping him up for the 9 days and giving him a taste so he fights his way back isn't a horrible idea.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ruxpin said:

No way i start him in the NHL. He literally just turned 18. His junior team will not be bad. Send him back to continue to learn. Keeping him up is a horrific mistake. 

At the same time, keeping him up for the 9 days and giving him a taste so he fights his way back isn't a horrible idea.

as a litmus test...sort of like they did with Brink...as I recall Bobby B. was wowing people , then he got his NHL games....and Torts sent him down..as he had things to work on....maybe those 9 games brings into focus exactly where he needs to improve...

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I have no objection to this line of thinking.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

I can't vote, though. I don't understand the options.

Jamie Drysdale started his career in the NHL when he should have spent at least a season in jr and maybe another in the A- and as a result "people, many people are saying" he could be a dimished player because of how the ducks handled him.

that's what option 2 means. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

This is dumb to even be discussing. Kid was 17 when he was drafted. This year of Jr experience will be super valuable. Jett needs the freedom to try different things in game situations, something that will not happen in the NHL. He needs to develop mentally and physically. 

Should he make the World Jr team (he has an excellent shot) it would be outstanding for his development to play against the best in the world. 

The Elephant in the room no one is discussing...100% chance Guelph trades him for a plethora of 2nd rd picks and players. If the Flyers are talking about keeping him now, no way will he be back in the OHL next year...at the very least, it's a chance the Guelph GM can't afford to take. He will get traded to a contender and have a great chance at a long playoff run. 

That's a good point, though Guelph should be a heck of a lot better than they were last year. So they may keep him.

Either way, he should go back to Guelph.

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

1 hour ago, jammer2 said:

This is dumb to even be discussing. Kid was 17 when he was drafted.

Have you seen him vs NHL players?

He looks like the 2nd best center on the roster.

That's not wishful thinking either.

Your comment about getting traded to a contender helps to assuage my concern about returning him to a situation where he's the only NHL talent on the roster. 

I have heard for years no one has had their development hurt by returning to the lesser league. 

But in this kid's case, where there is an absence of forwards close to his ability? I think the kid's a competitor and will stop trying to use those stiffs so he's not losing all the time. Does making him a more selfish player make him better suited for the NHL?  

Also, I wonder if having chemistry with Michkov (though I think like Couturier everyone can have chemistry with Michkov) makes me want to see them grow together from the jump.

TBH I think this team will be alright to watch this season without Jett. I think Ersson knows the assignment and will play more like the first part of last season than he will the 31- starts in 36 games whipping boy we saw after Frauder Hart was indicted. All Fedotov has to do is not actively suck and I think this team could be at the beginning of something fun. 

@radoran

I think I've explained where I think the gains would be, playing with better talent to bring his talent out.

Having said that. I 100% see where playing on John Tororella's 3rd line could stunt the offensive growth of a kid with his skill set.

I think we all hope that the ceiling is reached with this prospect. Learning to play it safe in the NHL? or get buck-wild in the OHL? seems to me like he's got the safe plays down already, so working on the buck-wild part would be better for that part of his game.

I just wanted to talk about something I view as a positive for the club as well.

The boy looks good now and seems to have a great mindset about getting better. I like this pick more and more.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jammer2 said:

The Elephant in the room no one is discussing...100% chance Guelph trades him for a plethora of 2nd rd picks and players. If the Flyers are talking about keeping him now, no way will he be back in the OHL next year...at the very least, it's a chance the Guelph GM can't afford to take. He will get traded to a contender and have a great chance at a long playoff run. 

London. I could see Luchanko being a Hunter acquisition. He fits EVERYTHING that London looks for in players. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

London. I could see Luchanko being a Hunter acquisition. He fits EVERYTHING that London looks for in players. 

Guelph has one forward besides Jett that has been drafted by and NHL team, Karabela...a 3rd rd pick by Washington a few years back...and he scored 12 Goals in his 4th OHL season. Some of the young guys will step up, develop...but they have to turn viable assets into multiple assets. I can see London being in on Jett, Barkey and Jett would make a ridiculous 1/2 punch up the middle. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

Guelph has one forward besides Jett that has been drafted by and NHL team, Karabela...a 3rd rd pick by Washington a few years back...and he scored 12 Goals in his 4th OHL season. Some of the young guys will step up, develop...but they have to turn viable assets into multiple assets. I can see London being in on Jett, Barkey and Jett would make a ridiculous 1/2 punch up the middle. 

If Cowan doesn't make the Leafs and gets sent back, you've got Barkey, Cowan, Luchanko, Bonk and Dickinson on the power play. I don't see how any other team stops that. That would be nothing short of ridiculous.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

Learning to play it safe in the NHL? or get buck-wild in the OHL? seems to me like he's got the safe plays down already, so working on the buck-wild part would be better for that part of his game.

I think jammer's point about his trade value increasing in Junior is a valid one.

I'm not "trying to make the playoffs" this season. I understand that they are and will.

7 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

I just wanted to talk about something I view as a positive for the club as well.

The boy looks good now and seems to have a great mindset about getting better. I like this pick more and more.

I have no problem with this being a positive story. It can be and he can still go back to Junior.

I don't want to see an 18 year old thrown to the wolves under Tortorella.

Your point about his mindset argues against your point about him getting frustrated playing in Guelph - or wherever he winds up.

I'm not "down" on the player or the pick. I'd be "down" on them pushing him too far too fast - by their own timeline.

At this point I pretty much expect him to be on the opening day roster and gets at least his cup of coffee.

Then we'll hear that they just couldn't send him down.

So while I don't think it's a good idea, they're most likely going to do it.

Make the playoffs. Anything can happen.

#neweraoforange

• Like 2

On 9/27/2024 at 3:48 PM, ruxpin said:

No way i start him in the NHL. He literally just turned 18.

agreed.

On 9/27/2024 at 3:50 PM, ruxpin said:

I can't vote, though. I don't understand the options.

agreed.

re: Luchanko this shouldn't even be a question. The kid is a kid. He just turned 18. Once-in-lifetime generational players should go straight from Junior, college or Wherever straight to the NHL...and Michkov.

Michkov looks "ready" tonight. He's already more involved offensively than he was the Caps' game a few nights ago. Hard to tell on TV but his vision, sneaking passes thru defenders (esp on the PP) is pretty incredible.

Luchanko looks okay tonight. Not awesomely awesome but okay. He's not out of place, he's keeping up with the pace and that's about it.

3-on-3 is TK, Michkov and Ristolainen (RR scored tonight) - controlling the puck well ... and MICHKOV gets the GWer !!

Edited by GratefulFlyers
  • Good Post 1

13 hours ago, jammer2 said:

Guelph had injury issues last year that appear to be resolved...that should help. Of course I'd love to see him traded....to Barrie!  😁 Jelsma got injured at the Pens camp and will be out 6-8 weeks so we could use a #1 centre...Barrie is pretty loaded this year...not London loaded but close.

Edited by flyercanuck

2 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Guelph had injury issues last year that appear to be resolved...that should help. Of course I'd love to see him traded....to Barrie!  😁 Jelsma got injured at the Pens camp and will be out 6-8 weeks so we could use a #1 centre...Barrie is pretty loaded this year...not London loaded but close.

I've heard a lot a out Barrie being in the mix to win it all. Best of luck....should be a fun year for ya! 

Windsor is in rebuild mode, but this #1 overall pick Ethan Belchetz is a monstrous 16 yr old Center. Already 6'5 and 230+ ....kid can skate, saw some highlights. 

Edited by jammer2