The Standard: Season 3

AlaskaFlyerFan

Thanks for sharing ... It was a good watch.  A few things I picked up on ....

1) There is a true comradery in the locker-room.  I don't get any sense of division.  Of course I recognize that production will try to put a positive spin on things. 

2) I am impressed how Torts thinks of the whole team mentality is a positive one and that he will stack that up against any other NHL team out there. 

3) However he is quick to point out they don't have enough talent. (more to that point in a moment) 

4) I appreciate the business like attitude the players have, if what was portrayed in the video, actually happens everyday on the ice. 

5) Jett has made a very positive impression, apparently he was one of the few who could keep up with Tippett from a skating drill perspective.  (more on that in a second). 

6) Appreciate the candidness of Torts but lets be honest,  production will not allow negative comments that Torts might have of any player and be aired in a public fashion such as this video.   I am sure there there are concerns for some but they will remain private.

Let's be honest here .... I have not problem with a unified team and a “Kumbaya” type atmosphere in the locker room.  However, the ultimate goal is to win a Stanley Cup and to do that you need more talented players.  Michkov is a start.  Despite my personal feelings Luchanko may or may not exceed many of our expectations. Torts admitted that from purely a talent perspective, they may not be on the same par as other NHL clubs.  That falls squarely on the shoulders of the FO.

As far as Luchanko .....  what is good for this kid overall. Does sending him back to his Junior team help him more?  Can he handle the the overall grind of a NHL schedule?  Ideally I would love for him to go to LV for a portion of the year.  However the CBA does not allow for that.  An argument can be made to allow him and Michkov grow together and develop that chemistry ......  It is apparent he has made a very solid impression on the FO staff.

Finally it is interesting to note that Torts does really care about the numbers of the skating drills.  He is more focused on how the respective players handle adversity. At least that is what I picked up on .......

Again @AlaskaFlyerFan ...thanks for sharing ......

• Like 1