Leon Draisaitl signed to 8-yr, $14M extension

JR Ewing

The super star market has now been set.

I think he's a great player and probably worth it.

The NHL needs to rethink its salary cap so a guy that gets drafted and turns into something like Leon can be retained without crippling the franchise.

One would think that Bettman's former infatuation with the NBA would seep into team building economics.

• Good Post 2

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

The NHL needs to rethink its salary cap so a guy that gets drafted and turns into something like Leon can be retained without crippling the franchise.

One would think that Bettman's former infatuation with the NBA would seep into team building economics.

Right at 27 mill for 2 players wow it has gotten out of hand.  In 2 years i guess McDavid is going to want 16 mill per season?

Edited by OccamsRazor
  • Like 1

-It's a lot of money, but this should shock nobody. I thought that Leon would probably come in at $13.5M AAV over 8 years, but I guessed a little bit low.

-I didn't think that Draisaitl would give the Oilers a big discount because at $8M AAV in his last contract, he was a ridiculous bargain.

-Higher than Auston Matthews, but the Oilers also paid for three more seasons, and that costs extra money. Draisaitl is also 5th all-time in playoff PPG, and Matthews isn't among the top 250 players of all-time.

-In the 2022 playoffs, with a high ankle sprain and badly struggling to skate, Draisaitl gave us a peek at what type of player he might be in his mid-30s. He scored 32 points in 16 games.

-For a franchise which lost every one of its star players in their prime, keeping a future HOFer like this is a big deal. For a hockey crazy city where this sport is literally the only thing that matters, this is a big deal. Having every one of McDavid’s and Draisaitl’s magical moments be with an Oiler sweater, every career highlight with an Oilers crest on their chest, that is truly legendary.

-If the contracts of Leon Draisaitl and Connor McDavid are a problem, it's a problem that 31 other GMs wish they had. It's a much bigger issue that Darnell Nurse is making $9.25M.

---edit---

-Had forgotten to note 29's previous bargain contract.

Edited by JR Ewing
  • Like 3

As all us Flyer fans know, you don't NEED high end centres. You can do just fine with middle six type guys, miss the playoffs one year, lose in the first round the next. Yet still be maxed out at the cap. Makes for some pretty exciting hockey.

Draisaitl is a great player, and they needed to keep him.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

The only time Butthead is going to step in is if it affects one of his southern teams...

• Like 1

18 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

As all us Flyer fans know, you don't NEED high end centres. You can do just fine with middle six type guys, miss the playoffs one year, lose in the first round the next. Yet still be maxed out at the cap. Makes for some pretty exciting hockey.

Draisaitl is a great player, and they needed to keep him.

As a Wild fan, I completely agree with your post. 
Look how well the Wild are doing without top flight centre play. 

• Like 1