Johnny Hockey- say it isnt so

From the news it sounds like a car moved to the left to go around JG and his brother, and the driver of the car that hit them moved right because he thought the car ahead of him was going too slow, and ended up rear ending JG and his brother. Probably at a high rate of speed as he was trying pass on the right (another gripe of mine).  

• Uggh... 1

53 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Very sad!  

I gave up biking as exercise years ago because South Florida drivers have limited to no respect for bikers, even in designated lanes.  This incident reminds me of how vulnerable bicyclists are.  The drunkenness is insanity and sickening.  

30-year-old pediatric oncologist was killed recently in Philadelphia riding a bike in a bike lane by a drunk driver going 50+ on a city street at 9 in the morning...

People need to change.

• Like 3

@mkscrewy @radoran

The automobile is one instance where the perceived cocoon of safety can be lifted and people face the consequences for their behavior. 

One of the things I told teen girl is- physics doesn't care about who is right or who needs to be going faster or whatever- this is a 2k plus pound machine that can kill people. 

Our culture is not well right now and you guys and the others are spot on with your diagnosis.

• Like 3

Wow...just wow.....

I was grocery shopping earlier today when my husband started to blow up my phone message inbox.
I didn't have time to look through the whole message, but saw parts of it on the preview...."Johnny Gaudreau....something, something..have a look at this Sandy..."

I was thinking..."Oh great...the Wild just gave up a bunch of prospects and picks to get Johnny Gaudreau....sigh...we dodged Laine only to get Gaudreau...meh, I will look into it later"
And went about my business without looking at anything else on it.

Then I get home, look through the whole message, shocked to all holy H#ll by what I read, then jumped online and sure enough....the tragedy of the Gaudreau family was there plain as day!

This makes me WISH that the only thing bad I was about to read was an ill advised trade between the Wild and Blue Jackets....because this turn of events is bigger, and worse, than anything so minor as a 'sports trade'.

Condolences to the Gaudreau family....oh my goodness...and on the eve of what was going to be a big celebration of a wedding.
I can't possibly imagine what that family is going through getting hit with something like this.
The emotions all thrown into a blender.

Let's all do our parts everyone and just be responsible people behind the wheel.
There is absolutely no defense for the driver or anyone else like him who does something like this...even if it's an "accident"....as they have irreversibly changed the course of several lives.

Just damn. 😑 ☹️

• Like 2
  • Uggh... 1

Just found this....

According to police, a driver of a Jeep Grand Cherokee hit two "pedalcyclists," identified as the Gaudreaus, from behind while trying to pass an SUV on the right that had moved over to make way for the two cyclists. Police, who responded to the scene in Oldmans Township, New Jersey, at 8:19 p.m., said both Gaudreaus suffered fatal injuries.

The driver, Sean Higgins, 43, is suspected of being under the influence of alcohol and has been charged with two counts of death by auto, along with reckless driving, possession of an open container and consuming alcohol in a motor vehicle.

According to the probable cause affidavit, Higgins told police that he had five or six beers before the crash and had tried to go around the SUV on the right side after thinking the other vehicle was trying to block him from passing. He told police his drinking contributed to "his impatience and reckless driving." Higgins failed a field sobriety test, according to the affidavit.

Police said the investigation is ongoing.

48 minutes ago, radoran said:

People need to change.

We do. We've made progress but unfortunately for the Gaudreau family, friends - and too many others - more needs to be done.

We have changed quite a bit compared to when I was a kid driving around with a cooler full of beers in the backseat. I wasn't unusual or "worse" than anyone else it was just growing up in the '70s where I lived. If you were going out the party usually started on the ride...

In the early '80s MADD began to open people's eyes to the stupidity of driving under the influence of alcohol. Before MADD I'm sure most people believed "a few drinks" wouldn't affect your reflexes enough to make driving dangerous. Now we know better.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Brewin Flames said:

According to the probable cause affidavit, Higgins told police that he had five or six beers before the crash and had tried to go around the SUV on the right side after thinking the other vehicle was trying to block him from passing. He told police his drinking contributed to "his impatience and reckless driving." Higgins failed a field sobriety test, according to the affidavit.

there are no words…. 😡

• Like 1

Gaudreau dies at 31; played for Blue Jackets, Flames Killed along with brother while cycling in home state of New Jersey
https://www.nhl.com/news/johnny-gaudreau-dies-at-31

Blue Jackets' Johnny Gaudreau, brother killed in car-bike crash
https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/41053342/blue-jackets-winger-johnny-gaudreau-brother-matthew-die

NHL player Johnny Gaudreau, brother dead after being struck by vehicle while bicycling
https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.7308408

Commissioner Bettman Statement on the Passing of Johnny Gaudreau

https://media.nhl.com/public/news/18255

8 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Man,, this thread is so much better with the ignore button.

Sheer idiocy on steroids and lighter fluid.

Yep this sums it up.

• Thanks 1

RIP Johnny. 31, what a tragedy. I really do hope you guys enforce much stricter legislation on speeding and driving under the influence. I can say it works tremendously well here in Denmark. Our rules are very very strict. For example if you drive 100km/h in a 50km/h zone, your car will be confiscated and sold at auction. No mercy. Same thing goes if you have an alcohol percentage of 2.0. it's tough, but it works.

• Like 4

“I am sick to my stomach," Hynes told Michael Russo of The Athletic. "I had the opportunity to coach Johnny several times with USA Hockey. Johnny was a great kid, personable, had a big heart, teammates loved him. He loved the game and loved to represent USA Hockey on the international stage. He will be missed as a persona and player. Thoughts and prayers for his wife and his family.”

https://bringmethenews.com/minnesota-sports/sick-to-my-stomach-wild-coach-crushed-by-death-of-johnny-gaudreau

• Sad 1

Just terrible!  I just learned of it.  Article was right next to the one about the SF 49ers WR being shot.  But he lived.  Gaudreau was a damn good player. His days days in Calgary I remember.  Just imagine those people in the wedding party.  Getting this news.  The loser that hit him seemed more concerned about how long he would be incarcerated.  He will likely do 3 years max.  Unless he has priors.  Just a typical idiot you see trying to drive you off the road daily regardless of what part of the not so United States you live .  5 beers probably wasn’t much for a guy his size who likely has a high resistance anyway.  More of the reckless impatience behind the wheel was to blame.  He looks stupid and is probably much dumber than he appears.  I have never been a fan of riding bikes near roads because you are trusting your life to many strangers and you just know some of them may be impaired or maybe just won’t see you.  It sounds like he passed slow moving cars in front of him and likely never saw them.  It’s terrible.

On 8/30/2024 at 1:01 PM, radoran said:

riding a bike

Last time i was even on a bike was mid July 2004.

How do i remember when this was you say? 

Oh because it was two weeks before i met my wife now of 17 1/2 years on the way to get my hair cut on my bike when i was almost killed by a chick driving her beetle and turning a corner at a very very high rate of speed.

i locked the brakes up so hard and wasn't stopping fast enough (however in my matrix slow down of my life flashing before my eyes) i could see the oncoming path knew it wouldn't be enough time to stop in desperation turned my tires to somehow getting me out this path

of course the front wheel collapsed and threw me over the handle bars onto the pavement of which i wasn't wearing my shirt yet had it off getting some sun i cut a flip like a stunt man landing oh my should and popped up immediately as i rolled liked i had practiced this 1,000 times. thankfully only bad scratch marks to the white meat but no broken bones or anything major.

never got my hair cut was shaken up and threw my bike on my shoulder and walked back home never replaced the front tire of the bike sold it as is and haven't been on a bike since. went home and just shaved my head with no guard until it was completely bald i had fell in love with not having hair since bootcamp which my wife hasn't let me cut it like that since she said at 52 i should be lucky i have hair and should keep it so i have since.

all this rambling on this early beautiful sunday morning...buried my 2nd best friend a few weeks back in his Panthers jersey. Been doing a lot of soul searching lately with the state of the world we live in right now. If you have a love one you haven't talked to in while pick up the phone and at least call them them. Tell em you love em. Never got to tell my mom good bye...been it will 11 years this October 20th.

Carbomb got my mind rolling this morning...

😥

Edited by OccamsRazor
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Dude was in court this morning..Blood Alcohol .87.  For those that don't know the legal limit in New Jersey is .08.  5 or 6 beers, my ass.  They appear to be keeping him locked up.

Also not sure if you heard but Johnny's wife announced at the funeral that she is pregnant. This is so incredibly sad.

• Uggh... 1

2 hours ago, fan4ever said:

Blood Alcohol .87.

not to nitpick ...do you mean 0.18 or 0.187?   A blood alcohol of 0.4 can be considered fatal.  For reference ....when John Bonham died it was estimated his BAC was 0.41.  A BAC of 0.87 would be next to impossible as he would be in a coma or dead.

EDIT:

Nevermind ... I just googled it ...he had a BAC of 0.087

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/41245430/man-charged-death-gaudreau-brothers-had-087-bac

EDIT #2

In addition 5-6 beers for an individual weighing ~200 lbs, consuming 5-6 beers in 3 hours could very easily give you a BAC of around 0.087.  This handy calculator supports that .....

image.png.faaf0c948b96beaace5a4ec4bd32ccf6.png

Of course this is an estimation as we have no idea what the suspect's actual weight is but depending on WT and time since 1st drink, it is not unreasonable to drink 5-6 beers and have a BAC of 0.087.

Edited by pilldoc

According to the ESPN article ....the driver ...Higgins.... also has a history of had a history of road rage and reckless driving, according to First Assistant Prosecutor Jonathan Flynn of Salem County. He said that Higgins apparently became frustrated when the two drivers ahead of him slowed down to go around the cyclists and that he sped up to try to pass the other cars on the right, striking the Gaudreaus.

"He indicated he didn't even see them," said Superior Court Judge Michael J. Silvanio, who said Higgins' admitted "impatience" caused two deaths.

Higgins faces up to 20 years, a sentence the judge said made him a flight risk.

Higgins has a master's degree, works in finance for an addiction treatment company and served in combat in Iraq, his lawyers said. However, his wife said he had been drinking regularly since working from home and told them he had a history of "driving like a nut," prosecutors said.

This is just sad ......

And it is these idiots on the road that I worry about as my son learns to drive ......

Edited by pilldoc
  • Like 1