Johnny Hockey- say it isnt so

Crazy rumors flying around as i woke up this morning. Please say it isnt so.

Also several police officers stated it is true while keeping their identity anonymous. 

Edited by yave1964

Holy crap this is so effin tragic.

And their sister's wedding is tomorrow...

....R.I.P. Johnny and his brother. I pray for the ones he leaves behind his wife and children.

• Like 1

Columbus Blue Jackets player Johnny Gaudreau, brother Matthew killed in NJ crash, police say

Joe Brandt, Taleisha Newbill, Ben Payne

philadelphia

By , Taleisha Newbill, Ben Payne

/ CBS Philadelphia

2 bicyclists killed in crash in Salem County, NJ

2 bicyclists killed in crash in Salem County, NJ 00:23

PEDRICKTOWN, N.J. (CBS) — Columbus Blue Jackets player Johnny Gaudreau and his brother were killed in a crash Thursday night in Salem County, New Jersey, State Police confirmed to CBS News Philadelphia.

Gaudreau, 31, and his 29-year-old brother Matthew were riding bicycles on County Route 551 in Oldmans Township, Salem County on Thursday night when they were struck by a man driving a Jeep.

Police said the driver, 43-year-old Sean Higgins of Woodstown, New Jersey, attempted to pass a slower vehicle when he hit the Gaudreau brothers, who riding along the right side of the road.

The Blue Jackets confirmed the Gaudreaus' deaths in a post on X.

"The Columbus Blue Jackets are shocked and devastated by this unimaginable tragedy," the Blue Jackets said in a statement. "Johnny was not only a great hockey player, but more significantly a loving husband, father, son, brother and friend. We extend our heartfelt sympathies to his wife, Meredith, his children, Noa and Johnny, his parents, their family and friends on the sudden loss of Johnny and Matthew."

A South Jersey native known as "Johnny Hockey" who grew up a fan of the Philadelphia Flyers, Johnny Gaudreau played for the Little Flyers, a youth hockey organization based in Aston, Pennsylvania, starting at the PeeWee level in 2004 and continuing into the 2008-09 season.

Both brothers played for Boston College and Johnny won the Heisman Trophy of college hockey, the Hobey Baker Award, in 2014. Johnny was a contributor to BC's NCAA championship win in 2012, as well.

2014 Beanpot Tournament - Championship
Matthew and Johnny Gaudreau at TD Garden on February 10, 2014 in Boston. Richard T Gagnon / Getty Images

Gaudreau was drafted by the Calgary Flames in the 2011 NHL Draft. In 2022, he opted for free agency and signed with Columbus.

A speedy lefthanded shooter who played on the wing, Gaudreau was nearly a career point-per-game player, notching 743 points — 243 goals and 500 assists — over 763 games in the NHL. He set a career high in goals in the 2021-22 season, his last with the Flames, when he scored 40 goals and 75 assists for 115 points. He was a +64 player that season.

Both brothers went to Gloucester Catholic High School in Gloucester City, New Jersey, and both played hockey there. Matthew served as coach of the Gloucester Catholic hockey team after a five-year pro career.

NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman issued a statement that said in part:

"While Johnny's infectious spirit for the game and show-stopping skills on the ice earned him the nickname 'Johnny Hockey,' he was more than just a dazzling hockey player; he was a doting father and beloved husband, son, brother and teammate who endeared himself to every person fortunate enough to have crossed his path.

"Gaudreau often told the story of how his father taught him to skate as a child in his home state of New Jersey and he carried that same youthful passion throughout his 11 NHL seasons. A skilled playmaker, Gaudreau participated in the NHL All-Star Game seven times where he was always a fan favorite, particularly while showcasing his talents in the various skills competitions for which he was so well suited."

Driver in custody

The crash happened at the intersection of Auburn Road and Stumpy Lane in Pedricktown after 8 p.m.  

Higgins was detained under suspicion he was under the influence of alcohol and charged with two counts of death by auto. He was taken to the Salem County Correctional Facility.

new-jersey-crash-location.jpg
A map showing the approximate location of a fatal crash that killed two people riding bicycles in Pedricktown, New Jersey. CBS News Philadelphia
  • Sad 1

It's Grand Theft Auto on the roads these days. People have lost it.

Unbelievable tragedy.

Driver should never drive again because you can't drive in prison.

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, radoran said:

Unbelievable tragedy.

Driver should never drive again because you can't drive in prison.

Drunk driver he'll be out in 2 years..

• Annoyed 1

6 minutes ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

I have absolutely no tolerance for drinking and driving. If I go for a drink, even just one, I don't drive until I have had a full glass of water and have sat for at least an hour. If I have more than one, I don't take my car, I cab.

Thank you for being responsible .......

• Like 1

1 hour ago, radoran said:

Yes. It’s disgusting. We have just gotten back from vacation and I see it everywhere I go. I see it every day to and from work ....It’s the entitlement culture that has become so pervasive here in the states. It has nothing to do with politics or any of that garbage. People are so focused on ‘me’ and my time and **** everyone else.

It’s particularly bad in more populous areas where people are even more emboldened by their anonymity. There are too many people for law enforcement to be able to address aggressive driving. Including the ****ing cell phones. (Don't even get started on that topic) There’s very little civility and these people feel good about themselves until something like this happens. It’s a waste that don’t even be comprehended. And no one seems to get that while happily reply to texts and running red lights because its all about "Me" and **** your life.

As I posted on my FB page ....I worry for my son, as he learns how to drive, not so much of his abilities.  I believe he will be a fine responsible driver,but because of all the idiots on the road.

What a sad day for the hockey community ...... for goodness sakes.... his sister was getting married either today or tomorrow ....  I just can't even imagine. :(

Senseless tragedy on what was supposed to be a joyful weekend for the Gaudreau Family. Absolutely heartbreaking 💔 

Edited by Samifan
  • Like 1
  • Sad 3

7 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

As I posted on my FB page ....I worry for my son, as he learns how to drive, not so much of his abilities.  I believe he will be a fine responsible driver, but because of all the idiots on the road.

Teaching my oldest daughter at the moment.   Had the conversation yesterday about, it's not worrying about your own skills it's about watching out for the idiots that don't have/care skills.   At that moment I said - watch - there is a traffic light where there are 2 lanes, one goes right the other goes straight.  I said, if I were just driving I'd be next to this car but my gut is that he is not paying attention and needs to be in this lane.  Sure as ****, he cut right over without a blinker.    Hopefully that stuck with her. 

She'll be driving my crew cab, long bed F150 as her first car.  Hoping that if she does have an accident, the truck will win....

Regarding the person that killed Johnny and his brother, until the penalties are increased, it's not going to change.   Just like arguing abortion 60 years later (and making zero headway), arguing about the death penalty (should exist or not) gets us nowhere.    Let's think outside the box.   How about minimum sentences (much like we have now) but in addition one of your family members also have to serve 5 years.   Or all of your assets are sold and given to the family of the victim?    Something has to change; arguing about this stuff for decades and decades makes us no closer to solving them and only holds us back as a society.  

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Digityman said:

Teaching my oldest daughter at the moment.   Had the conversation yesterday about, it's not worrying about your own skills it's about watching out for the idiots that don't have/care skills.   At that moment I said - watch - there is a traffic light where there are 2 lanes, one goes right the other goes straight.  I said, if I were just driving I'd be next to this car but my gut is that he is not paying attention and needs to be in this lane.  Sure as ****, he cut right over without a blinker.    Hopefully that stuck with her. 

She'll be driving my crew cab, long bed F150 as her first car.  Hoping that if she does have an accident, the truck will win....

I have the same conversations ......   My son will be driving my old Jeep Grand Cherokee .....hoping for same.  If he is in an accident I hope the Jeep wins ......

@Digityman @pilldoc

I'm going to lighten the mood here a little by recommending the Shield Driving School.

I had to tap out on teaching Teen Girl Mojo to drive when we went on two wheels Joey Chitwood style rounding a corner when she was learning. 

Teen girl Mojo is out there, and the body shop owners are glad. Your young drivers need to be ready for her!

The instructor from Shield came back after a 2-hour lesson and said, "she's ready to take the test now" I said "but what about the 50mph in the parking lots and the bootlegger turns onto side streets!?" The guy was like "no, she must save that for you..." but he did say, you've paid for 6 hours so we'll do 2 more sessions.

She passed the exam on the first try. 

Definitely one of the hardest parenting moments of her older young life. 

She drives a Subaru Legacy because of the They lived commercials.

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

@Digityman @pilldoc

I'm going to lighten the mood here a little by recommending the Shield Driving School.

I had to tap out on teaching Teen Girl Mojo to drive when we went on two wheels Joey Chitwood style rounding a corner when she was learning. 

Teen girl Mojo is out there, and the body shop owners are glad. Your young drivers need to be ready for her!

The instructor from Shield came back after a 2-hour lesson and said, "she's ready to take the test now" I said "but what about the 50mph in the parking lots and the bootlegger turns onto side streets!?" The guy was like "no, she must save that for you..." but he did say, you've paid for 6 hours so we'll do 2 more sessions.

She passed the exam on the first try. 

Definitely one of the hardest parenting moments of her older young life. 

She drives a Subaru Legacy because of the They lived commercials.

thanks @mojo1917.  We are currently using AAA ..... and yes we too also drive a Subaru Ascent.

• Like 1

I'm shocked and sickened by this tragedy. RIP Johnny and Matthew... both so young and gone way too soon. All because of a drunk driver. Right before their sister's wedding, too. My prayers to their family and friends. 

Very sad!  

I gave up biking as exercise years ago because South Florida drivers have limited to no respect for bikers, even in designated lanes.  This incident reminds me of how vulnerable bicyclists are.  The drunkenness is insanity and sickening.  

• Like 4