Laine Traded to Montreal

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/montreal-canadiens-acquire-patrik-laine-from-columbus-blue-jackets-1.2163686

The Montreal Canadiens have acquired forward Patrik Laine and a 2026 second-round pick from the Columbus Blue Jackets in exchange for defenceman Jordan Harris.

Looking like no salary retained.

Edited by radoran

• radoran changed the title to Laine Traded to Montreal

Canadiens acquire F Laine from Blue Jackets

TSN.ca Staff
Published 

The Montreal Canadiens have acquired forward Patrik Laine and a 2026 second-round pick from the Columbus Blue Jackets in exchange for defenceman Jordan Harris.

Laine, 26, recorded six goals and nine points in 18 games in a season that was mired with injuries.

The 6-foot-5 winger also entered the NHL/NHLPA player assistance program in January citing the need to look after his mental health. 

He was cleared to return from the program on July 26. 

TSN Hockey Insider Chris Johnston confirmed there was no salary retained in the trade. 

Laine is on the third season of a four-year, $34.8 million deal with an annual cap hit of $8.7 million. He is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent at the end of the 2025-26 season.

Drafted second overall by the Winnipeg Jets in 2016, Laine has 204 goals and 388 points in 480 career games split between the Jets and Blue Jackets.

The Tampere, Finland, native represented Finland at the 2016 World Championship in Russia and recorded seven goals and 12 points and was named tournament MVP in a silver-medal performance. 

He also represented his country at the 2016 World Cup of Hockey in an eighth-place finish.

13 minutes ago, radoran said:

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/montreal-canadiens-acquire-patrik-laine-from-columbus-blue-jackets-1.2163686

Looking like no salary retained.

Interesting ........curious to know if the League Player Assistance had anything to do with it.....

image.png.db4847e0885ca3d66c92a457288cfe5e.png

image.thumb.png.ec3dfc15b8db64768db03dfcfaa6caae.png

• Like 1

What a steal for Montreal. Laine's gonna kill it there. Slavkovsky, Suzuki, Caufield, Laine and Matheson on the power play? Yeah, that's gonna be lethal. If the Canadiens also end up with Askarov, they're going to be really tough to beat. Kent Hughes is building a REALLY good team in Montreal.

• Like 1

Great deal for CBJ, got rid of 8.7 million contract. Harris an ok 4, a bit better than a 5. Laine didnt work, he may shine with the Habs not damn Columbus needed to clear him out.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

What a steal for Montreal. Laine's gonna kill it there. Slavkovsky, Suzuki, Caufield, Laine and Matheson on the power play? Yeah, that's gonna be lethal. If the Canadiens also end up with Askarov, they're going to be really tough to beat. Kent Hughes is building a REALLY good team in Montreal.

I'm not that enthusiastic. I mean, that's an interesting and intriguing trade. Of course Montréal got a former top-scorer for almost nothing and as one of the worst team in the League, they can only improve. But I'm not sure if a bandaid with known mental health issues can perform well in an impatient market full of negative pressure. He'd better produce fast, otherwise his shoulders will become heavier and heavier... 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Math said:

I'm not that enthusiastic. I mean, that's an interesting and intriguing trade. Of course Montréal got a former top-scorer for almost nothing and as one of the worst team in the League, they can only improve. But I'm not sure if a bandaid with known mental health issues can perform well in an impatient market full of negative pressure. He'd better produce fast, otherwise his shoulders will become heavier and heavier... 

He's gonna thrive in Montreal. Look at all the players that have gone to Columbus and have failed. There's something incredibly toxic about that club. Getting away from there is going to be a huge relief for Laine. I know if my kid were drafted by Columbus, I'd tell him not to report and to hold out for a trade. It's a black hole for hockey players.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

He's gonna thrive in Montreal. Look at all the players that have gone to Columbus and have failed. There's something incredibly toxic about that club. Getting away from there is going to be a huge relief for Laine. I know if my kid were drafted by Columbus, I'd tell him not to report and to hold out for a trade. It's a black hole for hockey players.

Well see. Laine gets injured a lot. Folks used to track how often he played fortnite and he used to stay up all hours of the night playing that game. Was kinda comical when he got upset that folks were sharing his gametime (he played thousands of matches and like 5-6 hours a day)so he switched to a new name on a burner account lol

His points per game is always good, but hes never quite ever looked like that 44 goal scoring kid again and he was always lazy and bad defensively. I can still hear Buff yelling "SKATE" a bunch of games in a row. I usually watched jets games because i have a Hockey fantasy love of Hellebuyck, but the guys yelling at Laine became a funny 2nd side effect.

• Like 2