Travis Konecny extended 8 years @ 8.75 million / year

Your thoughts ......  

25 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about this contract .....

• I am totally on board with it ....
    • I do not like it ......
  2. 2. How do you feel about this contract Part 2

• Too much and Too long
    • just about right what he is worth ....
    • Not enough ...he should have gotten more
    • ambivalent - neither hate nor totally endorse the contract

On 8/9/2024 at 2:00 PM, mojo1917 said:

He was the best centerman on this team at that time.

I get all the other points you made, but he was our boy blue. 

@CoachX

I put that Laughton thing in just for you. 

I’m sure you did… A$$! 😁

On 8/10/2024 at 3:30 AM, GratefulFlyers said:

Well a 27 year old All-Star coming off back-to-back 30+ goal seasons has a fair bit of leverage. Next summer UFA Konecny was sure to get 7-year offers with a higher AAV (barring an awful 24-25). As it is both sides made a good deal and they got it done early, which I'm sure everyone appreciated.

As for the philosophy, re-signing TK instead of trading him...whole 'nother conversation...

My tl;dr:

• If the Flyers were rebuilding to focus primarily on the draft, trading TK makes sense. Teams at that stage can never have too many picks.
  • Since they're not prioritizing high picks there's no point (no need) trading away the team's best player.
  • It is what it is, not a rebuild more like a refurb; the Flyers need TK now more than ever.

plus ...

• Guaranteed Konecny would've done more damage than all the ex-Flyers combined. The shorties alone would've been too much to take.

Ya I agree w ALL points you made. TK is a GOOD player. I just cant help but wonder in regard to the supposedly loaded 2025 draft. Would TK have been more valuable as a trade asset? He gets AT LEAST a Top 15 pick and possibly higher especially if packaged w others.

I like the current roster as is and dont necessarily want to get rid of anyone but I also dont want Matvei to be soloing this show.

Crosby has/had Malkin, Tkachuk has Barkov, McD has Drai, Natedog has/had Landeskog/Rantanen and friggin Makar...most of the time championship caliber teams have multiple threats.

I guess we'll see what happens

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

1 hour ago, hmc687 said:

Would TK have been more valuable as a trade asset?

That is the question isn't it.

I think TK is great value for a #24 pick. 

Doing that draft over would he still be pick #24? 

Also,what is more valuable? a pick that might be as good in 5 years, or the player already on the team?

Do we think the team is going to be ready sooner or does it still need a few years?

It looks to me like the big 3 think the answer is sooner.

I think this is a tough choice. I'm glad I don't have to make it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

Also,what is more valuable? a pick that might be as good in 5 years, or the player already on the team?

Do we think the team is going to be ready sooner or does it still need a few years?

This is fair. I think a few years and i think the big 3 have little to base "sooner" on.  But they have enough to tease the Facebook crowd and that's enough to sell tickets until they have to fire Torts or Danny to sell some more. 

But there's this, and this is a fact:  you need a top tier first line center to win in this league and this team doesn't have one either on its roster nor in its system. And cap doesn't look good for signing one AND addressing the very likelihood of needing a goalie.

So really, i haven't the foggiest idea what they think they're basing sooner on.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 2

12 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

Konecny would easily be a top 10 pick in a redo in the 2015 draft. 7th most points in the draft, most PIMs, and theres more to his game than that. Steal of a pick.

But as mentioned this team is several blue chip pieces away from being a contender, with only yet another right winger in that dept. as prospects. So it looks like the same ol' song and dance where Flyer management pretends they have the makings of a cup winner, when it's really a middle of the pack team. Still.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Konecny would easily be a top 10 pick in a redo in the 2015 draft. 7th most points in the draft, most PIMs, and theres more to his game than that. Steal of a pick.

But as mentioned this team is several blue chip pieces away from being a contender, with only yet another right winger in that dept. as prospects. So it looks like the same ol' song and dance where Flyer management pretends they have the makings of a cup winner, when it's really a middle of the pack team. Still.

He definitely turned out to be a steal at 24. However, I dont think he easily would be a top 10 in a re-draft. For me just outside in the 11-14 range. I have at least the following ahead of him in a re-draft (in no particular order, just ahead of him):

Connor

Eichel

Dylan Strome

Marner

Werenski

Timo Meier

Rantanen

Barzal

Kyle Connor (close)

Aho

Roope Hintz

Kaprizov

Chabot (close)

And thats leaving out guys like Hanafin and Brock who I believe is behind Konecny in a redraft.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, ctid said:

Connor

Eichel

Dylan Strome

Marner

Werenski

Timo Meier

Rantanen

Barzal

Kyle Connor (close)

Aho

Roope Hintz

Kaprizov

Chabot (close)

2015 was a heckuva draft...

I do think Kyle Connor is a pretty good analogy.

Edited by radoran
  • Like 4

16 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

As said by @GratefulFlyers, it all depends on a person's definition of "sooner". If it means being ready to make the playoffs in the #12 thru #16 slot, getting bounced in the first round a few times, peaking with a second round exit, the Flyers will be ready sooner than later. If their honest assessment of the roster and futures is telling them that they will soon be ready to compete for the Stanley Cup, then I truly worry about their ability to accurately look at what they have in comparison to the top teams in the league.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

So "to be ready" means good enough to win the Stanley Cup, right? But do "the big 3" have the same definition? Jones/Briere say they do but 50 years of cutting corners... it's only fair to wonder if "to be ready" still basically means "anything can happen."

As long as the "catch lightning" approach has a competitive roster I guess I still prefer it over x-number of years of suckage hoping for a top pick. But I'm wavering ...

For sure. W/out a top-line center forget about competing for the Cup. Has any team ever signed a top-line center at the TD and won the Cup that year? I don't believe that's ever happened.

I like Ersson a lot I hope he's another Bobrovsky but if he hits a wall again at 30 games...well the Flyers have their backup, which is not nothing, but unless Fedotov ... yeah, never mind...

Yeah, I think this post sums things up pretty nicely.    Yes, to me, "readymeans "good enough to win the Stanley Cup."   But I completely agree with your suspicion of what it means to Danny Jones, et al.  (+Facebook swamp monsters).     Really good post.  I can't argue with it despite really wanting to.  😉

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

But I completely agree with your suspicion of what it means to Danny Jones, et al. 

I've been taking them at their word - basically "Stanley Cup or Bust." What I've begun to realize, or maybe just finally admit to myself - thanks to you guys here - is that the Flyers have an awfully high tolerance for "Bust."

• Like 4

7 hours ago, ctid said:

He definitely turned out to be a steal at 24. However, I dont think he easily would be a top 10 in a re-draft. For me just outside in the 11-14 range. I have at least the following ahead of him in a re-draft (in no particular order, just ahead of him):

Connor

Eichel

Dylan Strome

Marner

Werenski

Timo Meier

Rantanen

Barzal

Kyle Connor (close)

Aho

Roope Hintz

Kaprizov

Chabot (close)

And thats leaving out guys like Hanafin and Brock who I believe is behind Konecny in a redraft.

Ya, that was a pretty damn good draft. I guess he's arguably top ten, but probably not. Still a great pick, and at this point better than anything the Flyers have taken since. (I'm sure Michkov will be better...at this point he isn't)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

As said by @GratefulFlyers, it all depends on a person's definition of "sooner". If it means being ready to make the playoffs in the #12 thru #16 slot, getting bounced in the first round a few times, peaking with a second round exit, the Flyers will be ready sooner than later. If their honest assessment of the roster and futures is telling them that they will soon be ready to compete for the Stanley Cup, then I truly worry about their ability to accurately look at what they have in comparison to the top teams in the league.

I'm pretty sure most of us have figured out what the Flyers "new" management has assessed the Flyers roster as....and no, I won't be holding my breath on that cup winning run until they hire an actual NHL calibre GM.

Which I really don't expect in my lifetime.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

If it means being ready to make the playoffs in the #12 thru #16 slot, getting bounced in the first round a few times, peaking with a second round exit, the Flyers will be ready sooner than later. If their honest assessment of the roster and futures is telling them that they will soon be ready to compete for the Stanley Cup, then I truly worry about their ability to accurately look at what they have in comparison to the top teams in the league.

A - not the but a - problem with the Flyers is that they start with the unshakeable belief that they are one of the top teams in the league.

They're just a piece or two away from real success. It's right around the corner.

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

• Like 4

2 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

I'm pretty sure most of us have figured out what the Flyers "new" management has assessed the Flyers roster as....and no, I won't be holding my breath on that cup winning run until they hire an actual NHL calibre GM.

Which I really don't expect in my lifetime.

Unfortunately, you're correct.   It's my believe they just want to improve enough to have the fans buy tickets & fill the stadium.  They really don't seem willing to make the sacrifice to build a true Cup contending team.

• Like 3

On 8/14/2024 at 4:26 PM, Fuzz said:

Unfortunately, you're correct.   It's my believe they just want to improve enough to have the fans buy tickets & fill the stadium.  They really don't seem willing to make the sacrifice to build a true Cup contending team.

This spurred an interesting thought. Maybe they aren’t good enough at the management level to build a cup contender, so filling the seats and job security is the main objective. We fans are occupied thinking when we might get lucky enough to get that generational talent. Maybe ownership is waiting, biding time til they can get a generational GM

It wasn’t that long ago that ‘ol Danny was learning from Homer. What could wrong there?

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, CoachX said:

It wasn’t that long ago that ‘ol Danny was learning from Homer. What could wrong there?

Didn't he say he learned from Fletcher too? 🤮

But I can't knock Briere for not doing what no one expected him to do. Strip the team and focus on high picks is not the "Flyers' way" and until Clarke and the 70s/80s leftovers retire it won't be the Flyers' way.

They had the perfect opportunity to rebuild after they fired Fletcher and didn't take it. Jones/Briere are still a fresh start but the Old Boys called the play and that was that. I don't blame Briere for where the Flyers are now and who knows maybe he manages to slap something together that catches fire at the right time.

Meanwhile we got Michkov...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CoachX said:

I always hoped he meant it as a cautionary tale...

16 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

They had the perfect opportunity to rebuild after they fired Fletcher and didn't take it.

They had to rebuild the culture of the team and the only people that could do it were three guys who were here when it was lost.

🤔

On 8/13/2024 at 5:59 PM, ruxpin said:

But there's this, and this is a fact:  you need a top tier first line center to win in this league and this team doesn't have one either on its roster nor in its system. And cap doesn't look good for signing one AND addressing the very likelihood of needing a goalie.

So let's talk about the cap for a second.  It's not going to be fucakta for long.

There is relief coming after this season and more next season.

It was the plan to use the cap space to acquire assets. They have done this.

Everyone says they're not good enough, because reasons. But, whatever

They will have 3 1st picks next year, 2 second picks next year. 

They have some assets that can be turned into a shot at a #1c a guy that's buried in a system or a guy that doesn't want to play in Utah or someschit.

They will have the space to sign and trade.

The way they're going about trying to rebuild the organization is probably the most difficult. 

Actions surrounding the coach notwithstanding they say they don't mind having guys play in the AHL. 

Some of the recent picks could develop there, for some cheap depth players.

I think they know, especially Keith Jones, that this team isn't a cup contender. I do think they want to build that rather than an also ran. I think they're trying to find a path along the Jim Nill, Bill Zito method. 

I also think, rightfully, they don't want to fall into irrelevance in the city; The Phillies are stacked, The Eagles are very good, The Sixers have Ebiid and Maxey... there's a lot of competition for the entertainment dollar and they don't want to fall further away from mattering.

So, right they need to sell tickets. It's business. 

I reckon we'll all see what happens. I haven't seen anything yet that makes me think they're Kramer and Newman making sausage.

• Like 1

On 8/14/2024 at 9:41 AM, GratefulFlyers said:

I like Ersson a lot I hope he's another Bobrovsky but if he hits a wall again at 30 games...well the Flyers have their backup, which is not nothing, but unless Fedotov ... yeah, never mind.

Who knows anything about any goalie and their development.

I mean really.

Tim Thomas was bad until at 32 he figured out how to play the position.

Steve Mason won the Calder and then blew, but rebounded. 

I think the Flyers have a good one in Ersson, but that position is the biggest crap shoot to predict outcomes in sports.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, CoachX said:

Pre-Bike Accident Homer was doing a great job.

Then Mr Snider got sick.

If you're talking that Homer then good point. (post dain-bramaged)

If you're talking the Homer that signed Danny and turned Petr Foresburg's bum foot and a first pick into Kimo Timmonen, Scott Hartnell, Scotty Upshall and sigh Ryan Parent. That Homer was pretty good.  

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

Pre-Bike Accident Homer was doing a great job.

Then Mr Snider got sick.

If you're talking that Homer then good point. (post dain-bramaged)

If you're talking the Homer that signed Danny and turned Petr Foresburg's bum foot and a first pick into Kimo Timmonen, Scott Hartnell, Scotty Upshall and sigh Ryan Parent. That Homer was pretty good.  

Really? Pretty good, you say? Explain Chuck Fletcher. Explain the dismal

playoff runs. Explain the lack of Stanley Cups. Explain Bryzgalov. Explain Bobrovsky. Explain Vinny Lecavalier.  Explain all the long term contracts and no movement clauses.

I bet you’re gonna say all those things weren’t his fault, that someone else made the decisions. 

• Like 2