Travis Konecny extended 8 years @ 8.75 million / year

Your thoughts ......  

25 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about this contract .....

• I am totally on board with it ....
    • I do not like it ......
  2. 2. How do you feel about this contract Part 2

• Too much and Too long
    • just about right what he is worth ....
    • Not enough ...he should have gotten more
    • ambivalent - neither hate nor totally endorse the contract

I reckon they could have traded him for some picks that might be as good as he is in 6 years. That would make watching him lift the cup with another team while scoring 2 goals a game vs the Flyers so much more satisfying. 

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I reckon they could have traded him for some picks that might be as good as he is in 6 years. That would make watching him lift the cup with another team while scoring 2 goals a game vs the Flyers so much more satisfying. 

I get the argument you are making. Given that most draft picks are likely to be less than hoped for, it makes sense. But taking the last 40+ years into account, I think shooting for the stars would be enticing. So taking a KNOWN commodity (TK) and trading him away for a chance to get a player who could be “more than” what’s known, is what I wish they would do. How is it all these other franchises draft hall of fame legends and the best the Flyers can do is Claude Giroux?

But hey, all is not lost. I’m sure the Flyers will trade a prospect and a 2nd for a 38 year old Patrick Kane, in the hopes he will get them into the first round

1 hour ago, CoachX said:

But hey, all is not lost. I’m sure the Flyers will trade a prospect and a 2nd for a 38 year old Patrick Kane, in the hopes he will get them into the first round

from your lips to god's ears.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, CoachX said:

That's absurd, ridiculous poppycock. Would never happen.

Kane has a no trade clause.

:hocky:

• Haha 4

42 minutes ago, radoran said:

That's absurd, ridiculous poppycock. Would never happen.

Kane has a no trade clause.

I’m sure he’d waive it for 10 mil a year and a front office job with a lifetime contract 

2 hours ago, CoachX said:

I get the argument you are making. Given that most draft picks are likely to be less than hoped for, it makes sense. But taking the last 40+ years into account, I think shooting for the stars would be enticing. So taking a KNOWN commodity (TK) and trading him away for a chance to get a player who could be “more than” what’s known, is what I wish they would do. How is it all these other franchises draft hall of fame legends and the best the Flyers can do is Claude Giroux?

They'll also sign Kane to a 5 year deal, with a NMC. Then, he'll lead us to Game 7 of the finals, and hit the post in a game we lose in OT, even though he owes us lol. The following year, he'll go on LTIR. 

• Like 1

On 7/29/2024 at 3:02 PM, FD19372 said:

They'll also sign Kane to a 5 year deal, with a NMC. Then, he'll lead us to Game 7 of the finals, and hit the post in a game we lose in OT, even though he owes us lol. The following year, he'll go on LTIR. 

or as a 40 yr old F, he will have 5 goals 60 games into the season, Torts will drop him to the 4th line then

bench him and then in the offseason, they will buy him out...

I'm a little surprised to see ~80% of the board disapprove of TK's new contract and I hope the NMC isn't why; so TK has to approve the trade that's all. Does anyone on this board believe the Flyers are incapable of making life miserable for one of their players? So cheer up Flyers' fans!

1 hour ago, GratefulFlyers said:

I'm a little surprised to see ~80% of the board disapprove of TK's new contract and I hope the NMC isn't why; so TK has to approve the trade that's all. Does anyone on this board believe the Flyers are incapable of making life miserable for one of their players? So cheer up Flyers' fans!

I think it's more that we all aren't totally on board with it....if there was a middle answer of "Meh" I think that would get the largest percentage.  I answered ambivalent for 2nd ?, I think it's the mostly the length that I don't care for.    

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

More of the same…. Overpay for a player who most likely won’t live up to the money he’s being paid, and secure it so you can’t move him

its the exact formula that ensures you won’t win a cup. The flyers have perfected this model. It’s the only thing they are consistently good at

• Good Post 3

That plus the paucity of other impact players on the team or in the pipeline that will be good and in their primes within the time frame that Konecny will be an impact player.

If the Flyers get extremely lucky and five years from now have 4-5 players as good as Konecny is now, everyone here will be talking about attaching assets to Konecny to move him if his play is no longer matching his salary (which it is likely not to given most players' production trajectories).

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Look, i like Konecny, and it's not the dollar amount. It's the term.

He's 27. If we think our window is in 4-5 years,, then he's 31 or 32. It might work if that time frame is accurate. The way he plays the game, it's a risk.  If the window is longer away than that, then this is a foolish move.  

@GratefulFlyers, I'm fully in the 80%. Not because i dislike Konecny. I don't. He'  iss been really one of the few players worth cheering for.  It's just yet another example of franchise inability to forecast and to assess situations soberly.

As much as we all liked Coots several years ago, we are seeing the effects of the terrible planning.  We'll be seeing more of the fruits of that in 4-5 years.  It's all but a guarantee.

Richards and Carter was the last time assets were correctly analyzed.

Konecny, Coots, Voracek...all fine players but I think signed too much for too long. Hindsight 20/20 I guess and maybe Konecny will be different

• Like 1

Couturier signed a very team friendly deal and had he not broken his back-I don't think there would be much to bitch about.

But things happen. and if my aunt had any balls she'd be my uncle so...

The idea that things can't keep happening is where I see folly in the Konecny contract.

I like the player, he's one of my favorites. 

However, to assume magic happens and things that haven't been going well will suddenly change for the better is not wise.

I hope the contract works out. But the way things have been going for this club, i'm not going to hold my breath.

The team could be pretty good again this year, young players could get closer to reaching or exceeding their projected ceiling.

Tortorella has that effect on players if they buy in...maybe Shaw works his magic on Drysdale. 

If Tippett can find 10 more points, if Michkov is what he's projected to be, if Ol' Foerster's offense is consistent all season, the team may be legitimately good- and in 2026 in good shape with the salary cap to make big trade and sign a needed piece to set up for a window of being a top team. 

If all those things come close, then Konecny is extremely helpful for the early part of that competitive window. 

That's a lot of ifs, but weirder things have happened. 

If these things don't work out, then GM Scott Laughton will have quite a hole to dig out of. 

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

Couturier signed a very team friendly deal and had he not broken his back-I don't think there would be much to bitch about.

His deal was market at best if i recall correctly.

Maybe the deal would have been fine for a few years, but it was always likely to be a problem at some point given the age at which he signed it and the length of the deal.  The injury just accelerated that point.  

2 hours ago, SCFlyguy said:

His deal was market at best if i recall correctly.

Maybe the deal would have been fine for a few years, but it was always likely to be a problem at some point given the age at which he signed it and the length of the deal.  The injury just accelerated that point.  

For a Selke winner? Who was going to be in the conversation and maybe trading with Barkov for a few more years?

He would have made a lot more on the open market.

Flyers’ Sean Couturier signs 8-year, $62 million contract extension – NBC Sports Philadelphia

I think I was remembering the #1 C for under 8m aav.  as a team friendly.  YMMV.

42 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I think I was remembering the #1 C for under 8m aav.  as a team friendly.  YMMV.

I think it is a team-friendly deal. Signed a year early and he was injured shortly thereafter (if he wasn't at the time - Fletcher later alluded to his problems starting "earlier in the season" than... December).

I just don't think Couturier is a #1C and I don't think he was when they signed him.

This was still in the time when they were "going for it" with Giroux and Couturier was going to be slotted into 2C. They had just traded for Ellis, who hadn't fallen apart in a Flyers uniform yet, and Ristolainen and flipped Voracek for Atkinson.

The idea was that that squad would build on the monumental achievement of *checks notes* winning a playoff round two years before and be an inevitable Stanley Cup competitor for years to come.

They finished in 8th place in the Metro and traded Giroux in March.

• Like 2

I'm still in the minority that Couturier is going to have a big bounce back year and shut a lot of naysayers up. That Tortorella ran him into the ground and nobody from the media to the front office called him out for that is still beyond me. The man hadn't played meaningful hockey in two years and the he's coach thought it was a good idea to run him hard. I still shake my head over that.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I'm still in the minority that Couturier is going to have a big bounce back year and shut a lot of naysayers up.

I think he's going to be much better this year.

I still don't think he's a #1C on a bona fide playoff competitor. Primarily because he's 31, coming off two back surgeries, hasn't played much of the past three years, and has never been a true #1C in his career.

I'll be happy if he "shuts me up."

• Like 1

23 hours ago, hmc687 said:

Richards and Carter was the last time assets were correctly analyzed

Well there was a lot of talk about their antics with college girls