Travis Konecny extended 8 years @ 8.75 million / year

Your thoughts ......  

25 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about this contract .....

• I am totally on board with it ....
    • I do not like it ......
  2. 2. How do you feel about this contract Part 2

• Too much and Too long
    • just about right what he is worth ....
    • Not enough ...he should have gotten more
    • ambivalent - neither hate nor totally endorse the contract

1 hour ago, radoran said:

There's serious validity to this. Sending EVERYONE away and having no vet leadership is a recipie for disaster. Your Oiler experience and that of Buffalo speak to it.

That said, locking up a late 20s core that just ALMOST made the playoffs and has been with the team since they were drafted doesn't speak to me as the "rebuild" they claimed to embark upon. Michkov or no Michkov.

I've seen more than a few articles about the Flyers pivoting to "make the playoffs" - which just gives me Wild visions.

The gap between "make the playoffs" teams and actual Cup contenders is real and generally large and not easily changed in the middle of the first.

I like Konecny. I'd like him better as the C in this scenario but obvs Couturier isn't going anywhere and was captain in waiting the day Giroux left.

The question is "will they be a Cup contender within this contract?"

I'm not sanguine. As always, we'll see...

I get it; I really do.

As a guy who has repeatedly watched prime-age quality get shipped out for the rebuild, all in hopes of drafting the same quality, I found the return consistently lacking. Perhaps I'm unfairly biased because I saw the same thing over and over again, and it sort of pains me to watch other teams do the same thing. I think the Flyers are closer to being a Cup contender with him around than another magic bean or two in his place, and I don't mean that in the sense that Konecny pushes them over the top, but that trading him is a big risk factor in them sliding even further back.

If I could deal him for a guaranteed top-3 pick in a terrific draft, that would be another thing, but those teams want to hold on those picks. He would probably go for something like 20th overall, and that puts you in the position of being much less sure of that player's chances of becoming anywhere near as good as Konecny.

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

Matthews chokes like Mama Cass eating a ham sandwich,

(spitting up my drink ...) LOL ....that truly is very funny... :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, tucson83 said:

yeah because your way doing things is what's going to put us in the lottery for years and years because everything in your mind is top 5 and not bother looking at the draft classes because in your mind there's no such thing as busts and here's the other thing you dont seem to want to grasp, superstars like mcdavid and matthews can choke in the playoffs but to you there's no such thing as that. you just dont want to focus on proven players that can possibly can get you over hump rather than players from the draft you hype about can easily turn this team back into the same team you dont like.

if you want to win a cup, get proven players that can get you over hump, not the organic way of just another mediocre playoff team.

Who would you like ?????

image.png.e6415dc46fb7fe0724fe2dbca88229d7.png

No seriously ... who are you going to sign when you are over the cap ......

inquiring minds want to know ......

Don't forget the Flyers are still being penalized for these cap hits .....

image.png.46bdd60a94688cd2a33cca1a7fc6e223.png

that is $7.5 million in DEAD money as in WASTED ......

Here are some of the top FA for 2025-26 ... please for the love of god tell me who do the Flyers have a realistic shot at signing ......   as per your request ...you said top talent.

Top Centers:

image.thumb.png.57011a691c6387e27ca168269f527fdf.png

Top LW: (but Flyers are loaded at Wing)

image.png.63e793a2258306036307edeef2dad720.png

Top RW  (but Flyers are loaded with Wingers)

image.png.591964727a0772d44ed0bec6404bbb6f.png

So if you are going to throw out that suggestion ...who should the Flyers realistically target AND stay within the CAP?

Again inquiring minds want to know .....   what great Words of Wisdom can you shed on building the roster next year???

Bonus ..here are some Goalies:

image.thumb.png.7b3c5e46fa095b29203ff0137d4ba8cc.png

Edited by pilldoc
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

what great Words of Wisdom can you shed on building the roster next year???

That's a deep cut for the membership around here.    lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

That's a deep cut for the membership around here.    lol

:bigteeth: :VeryCool::blowingakiss:

Glad you took notice .... :lol:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

Matthews chokes like Mama Cass eating a ham sandwich, but McDavid? The McDavid who is 3rd all-time in playoff points per game and just won the Conn Smythe while almost setting the new record for points in a single playoff?

That McDavid?

You and your facts. 

It's like talking tax law to a ham sandwich.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

Matthews chokes like Mama Cass eating a ham sandwich, but McDavid? The McDavid who is 3rd all-time in playoff points per game and just won the Conn Smythe while almost setting the new record for points in a single playoff?

That McDavid?

full

11 hours ago, tucson83 said:

yeah because your way doing things is what's going to put us in the lottery for years and years because everything in your mind is top 5 and not bother looking at the draft classes because in your mind there's no such thing as busts and here's the other thing you dont seem to want to grasp, superstars like mcdavid and matthews can choke in the playoffs but to you there's no such thing as that. you just dont want to focus on proven players that can possibly can get you over hump rather than players from the draft you hype about can easily turn this team back into the same team you dont like.

if you want to win a cup, get proven players that can get you over hump, not the organic way of just another mediocre playoff team.

We don't know what tearing it down will do until they do it, cause they never have. If you have good management, it can lead to championships. If you don't, it leads nowhere. But if you don't, it's going to lead nowhere anyway, which is where we've been residing in case you haven't noticed.

You DO realize that buying "proven players" has been the Flyers way of doing things for FIFTY F***ing YEARS right? And then a few years later, they're buying them out. And still no Stanley Cups. We currently have FOUR ex-Flyers getting paid to NOT play for us with your way of doing things, as @pilldoc already pointed out. (Bryz, yet another brilliant move ex-Flyer player turned GMs quest for a proven player over a young up and comer Bobrovsky, who went on to...shocker...win a cup is also STILL on the Flyers payroll til 2027, almost 13 years after he played his last game. Shear genius. 

I get it, you're quite content with this never ending carousel of barely making/barely missing the playoffs and drafting mediocre, sometimes good, never great talent, other than once when an elite talent falls into your lap due to politics. Me, I want a cup. Or at least an attempt to build a winner that isn't from the same blueprint every former player turned GM uses to get us to the exact same place...nowhere.

This message brought to you by image.jpeg.b4032fd1c485847fe54a73c719bca53c.jpeg

Edited by flyercanuck
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

I think the Flyers are closer to being a Cup contender with him around than another magic bean or two in his place, and I don't mean that in the sense that Konecny pushes them over the top, but that trading him is a big risk factor in them sliding even further back.

The point being made is "sliding even further back" is what they really might need to do.

They've never really been "back". They haven't had the chance to screw up multiple high picks like Edmonton or Buffalo.

They may be "closER" to being a Cup contender with Konecny, but honestly what's the point that brings them over the top? If you're five miles away from something, being four miles away is closer, but it ain't there.

I'm not "upset' they re-signed Konecny. I agree that the return might not have been what some were expecting

I'm just not convinced that the boatload of right wings they have is the true foundation of a championship team and the return on a Brink or a Farabee will likely be less than for Konecny.

The die is cast. They're going to try to make the playoffs and "make a run."

After all, anything can happen.

:hocky:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

We don't know what tearing it down will do until they do it, cause they never have. If you have good management, it can lead to championships. If you don't, it leads nowhere. But if you don't, it's going to lead nowhere anyway, which is where we've been residing in case you haven't noticed.

You DO realize that buying "proven players" has been the Flyers way of doing things for FIFTY F***ing YEARS right? And then a few years later, they're buying them out. And still no Stanley Cups. We currently have FOUR ex-Flyers getting paid to NOT play for us with your way of doing things, as @pilldoc already pointed out. (Bryz, yet another brilliant move ex-Flyer player turned GMs quest for a proven player over a young up and comer Bobrovsky, who went on to...shocker...win a cup is also STILL on the Flyers payroll til 2027, almost 13 years after he played his last game. Shear genius. 

I get it, you're quite content with this never ending carousel of barely making/barely missing the playoffs and drafting mediocre, sometimes good, never great talent, other than once when an elite talent falls into your lap due to politics. Me, I want a cup. Or at least an attempt to build a winner that isn't from the same blueprint every former player turned GM uses to get us to the exact same place...nowhere.

This message brought to you by image.jpeg.b4032fd1c485847fe54a73c719bca53c.jpeg

how do you know these prospects in 2025 to 2026 are  going to get us over hump, do you watch them, scout them, do mental evaluations on them?

@pilldoc

Wth all due respect, the salary cap is going to rise.

The Flyers were planning to use their cap space to gain assets and they did.

They have Johansson and Peterson as badges of weaponized cap space to show for it. 

Those guys both come off the books after this year. 

Some more buy-outs and Hayes retention come off in 26.

I find the narrative that the team is spending to the cap on mediocre players "like always" to be incorrect. They filled up the space to get 1st round picks, which I think is what people want, apparently, they're not good enough 1st picks but that's a whole different debate. 

Also, they were operating with the assumption that Michkov wouldn't be available to them until 2026. 

So they continued to be a bad contract dumping ground. 

Now that he's here early, depending on how it goes with him...it may change how they treat constructing the team.

And that shines a light on the salary cap being full. But I submit that was intentional and it is not permanent. I think right now the only two "bad" contracts are Couturier's because of his back, and maybe Sanheim but honestly if he starts putting together seasons like last year's, I'm fine with it. Seeler and Hathaway are short-term answers to short-term problems and they're good role players. 

If Michkov is a 65-point player in year one, the goaltending is solid and young guys continue to grow. This team could realistically be better than last season. It's not a huge stretch to imagine.

FWIW I think 50- 60 points would be fabulous and achievable for Matvei. 

As the cap rises, the contract for Konecny won't be as high of a % of it as it is right now. It could be the addition of a highly skilled offensive player benefits Travis and the contract goes from being a slight overpay to surplus value. 

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, radoran said:

The die is cast. They're going to try to make the playoffs and "make a run."

After all, anything can happen.

You've typed this a few times recently, which articles are you reading to inform that opinion ?

I saw one from, a guy, but as I continued to read the article it appeared he was operating with less information than the regulars here do, so I discounted it.

I think it's wise to adjust a plan when new information and circumstances present themselves. 

What I have heard from Danny is, they're going to see what happens.

I have not heard anything other than "maybe this team sneaks into the playoffs, but that isn't the goal" from Briere in two separate avails since Michkov arrived. 

32 minutes ago, tucson83 said:

how do you know these prospects in 2025 to 2026 are  going to get us over hump, do you watch them, scout them, do mental evaluations on them?

Gavin McKenna (2026) is being touted as a generational talent. He put up 1.5 points per game in the WHL as a 16 year old. He's still 16, and I'd bet money he'll win a cup before the Flyers do.

Mental evaluations? No, but I can help you with your grammar.

40 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

@pilldoc

They have Johansson and Peterson as badges of weaponized cap space to show for it. 

I find the narrative that the team is spending to the cap on mediocre players "like always" to be incorrect. They filled up the space to get 1st round picks, which I think is what people want, apparently, they're not good enough 1st picks but that's a whole different debate. 

Also, they were operating with the assumption that Michkov wouldn't be available to them until 2026. 

So they continued to be a bad contract dumping ground. 

Now that he's here early, depending on how it goes with him...it may change how they treat constructing the team.

And that shines a light on the salary cap being full. But I submit that was intentional and it is not permanent. I think right now the only two "bad" contracts are Couturier's because of his back, and maybe Sanheim but honestly if he starts putting together seasons like last year's, I'm fine with it. Seeler and Hathaway are short-term answers to short-term problems and they're good role players. 

If Michkov is a 65-point player in year one, the goaltending is solid and young guys continue to grow. This team could realistically be better than last season. It's not a huge stretch to imagine.

FWIW I think 50- 60 points would be fabulous and achievable for Matvei. 

As the cap rises, the contract for Konecny won't be as high of a % of it as it is right now. It could be the addition of a highly skilled offensive player benefits Travis and the contract goes from being a slight overpay to surplus value. 

I see the offense being better with Michkov and hopefully more development from Frost, Farabee, Brink, Tippett and Foerester. The goatending is a question mark but the defense is going to be worse. We don't have Walker, so without him I think Seeler will regress back to the guy he was for all the previous years.Seeler played second pair level hockey one season out of his entire career. I don't see Drysdale being a second pair guy yet, he's horrible defensively. Zamula is still a question mark, so unless Risto steps up big, we are in trouble with the second pair. We very well could finish worse than we did this past season. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

You've typed this a few times recently, which articles are you reading to inform that opinion ?

Konecny himself is talking about the next chapter, making the next steps.

The NHL.com article says he's confident postseason success is close.

They have basically the same team as last year where they fell short at the end, adding Michkov. Add Bonk

If the goaltending holds up - a big if - "making the playoffs" isn't that big of a leap.

How that combines with "become a Cup contender" is where the rubber meets the road.

As I said, I like Konecny. I'm not "upset" about the move.

I'm upset about other moves that have them mired where they are.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

I'm fully aware of that ...my response was more to the response of the other member who thinks one can just sign players willy nilly.  

One danger I caution everyone is we can't assume the Salary Cap is going to rise by leaps and bounds...

image.png.85760b0252efba185ebef1bc94297ecc.png

The jump this year is the biggest jump ($4.5 million) they had since the 18-19 season when it also jumped by $4.5 million.  Lets pretend the NHL follows a similar model.  I would expect maybe a $1.5 million rise.  That would only move the Cap to 89.5 next year.

So while we play this pretend game next year ...although with a CAP Hit of roughly 89.5, that would leave the Flyers with about ~11.5 million to play with.  However, Cates will need to be resigned, Frost would need to be resigned, York will need to be resigned. (Currently they are a total of ~6.3 million this year ..I would expect that number to go up.)

Subtract what their collective raises will be...that still only leaves the Flyers with roughly ~5 million in CAP Space next year.  Again assuming a small jump in cap space.

You are actually proving my argument that their is NO room for the Flyers to go out and sign high end players like the poster I was quoting was suggesting.

I totally agree with you ...that once the the 26-27 season roles around, the CAP Space opens up mightily for the Flyers.  My rough estimate is around ~$40 million in CAP space.

But in answer to the poster who suggested getting high end players this year or next year...that is impossible.

Absolutely agree with you ...the bad contracts are Coots and Sanheim .....  I like TK ..I just thought it was a bit long .......

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

2 hours ago, pilldoc said:

I'm fully aware of that ...my response was more to the response of the other member who thinks one can just sign players willy nilly.  

One danger I caution everyone is we can't assume the Salary Cap is going to rise by leaps and bounds...

image.png.85760b0252efba185ebef1bc94297ecc.png

The jump this year is the biggest jump ($4.5 million) they had since the 18-19 season when it also jumped by $4.5 million.  Lets pretend the NHL follows a similar model.  I would expect maybe a $1.5 million rise.  That would only move the Cap to 89.5 next year.

So while we play this pretend game next year ...although with a CAP Hit of roughly 89.5, that would leave the Flyers with about ~11.5 million to play with.  However, Cates will need to be resigned, Frost would need to be resigned, York will need to be resigned. (Currently they are a total of ~6.3 million this year ..I would expect that number to go up.)

Subtract what their collective raises will be...that still only leaves the Flyers with roughly ~5 million in CAP Space next year.  Again assuming a small jump in cap space.

You are actually proving my argument that their is NO room for the Flyers to go out and sign high end players like the poster I was quoting was suggesting.

I totally agree with you ...that once the the 26-27 season roles around, the CAP Space opens up mightily for the Flyers.  My rough estimate is around ~$40 million in CAP space.

But in answer to the poster who suggested getting high end players this year or next year...that is impossible.

Absolutely agree with you ...the bad contracts are Coots and Sanheim .....  I like TK ..I just thought it was a bit long .......

Sure the Caps will keep increasing over the years but the players salaries will also increase.  We just paid 8.5 million. For a sixty point scorer in five years a 20 goal guy should get ten million.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

Sure the Caps will keep increasing over the years but the players salaries will also increase.  We just paid 8.5 million. For a sixty point scorer in five years a 20 goal guy should get ten million.

You are absolutely correct and that fact should not be lost or forgotten.

I like Konecny. I hate the signing. It's the right contact for him ... Somewhere else.  

New boss ... Meet the new boss.  His cell phone area code is 520; can't be that bright 

This has already been commented on, but referencing back, I was also against the anointing of Briere from the start. He is a Homer disciple, and this looks like more of the same that we have seen for decades now. The addition of Keith Jones is the cherry on top. As mentioned by another poster, Laughton and Konency are the “face of the franchise”.  If that true, when your top guys are nothing more than really good support players, you’re not going to be a serious contender 

Flyers management never learns, and they never advance. It’s truly disappointing 

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, CoachX said:

As mentioned by another poster, Laughton and Konency are the “face of the franchise”.  If that true, when your top guys are nothing more than really good support players, you’re not going to be a serious contender 

More than that, they are "faces" of a franchise that has one playoff round win in 12 years and hasn't made the playoffs for four years.

They have doubled down on three "lifetime Flyers" (average age 29) who's greatest achievement so far is (checks notes) "missing the second wild card by four points".

We'll get out of this hole eventually - we just need to keep digging.

:hocky:

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, radoran said:

We'll get out of this hole eventually - we just need to keep digging.

Shouldn’t we have reached China by now?

• Haha 3

42 minutes ago, radoran said:

More than that, they are "faces" of a franchise that has one playoff round win in 12 years and hasn't made the playoffs for four years.

Come on surely Konecny's career 1 playoff goal 7 years ago will pay high dividends in the future!!!

Right???

What could possibly go wrong with an 8 year deal?? 

Keith and Danny on the way back from the Konecny signing:

"Thanks Keith.  I think it was a really good deal too!  This should get us within two points of the playoffs, and well, anything can happen!"

crash-test-dummies-in-a-car-DGXR8F.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Good Post 1