Travis Konecny extended 8 years @ 8.75 million / year

Your thoughts ......  

25 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about this contract .....

• I am totally on board with it ....
    • I do not like it ......
  2. 2. How do you feel about this contract Part 2

• Too much and Too long
    • just about right what he is worth ....
    • Not enough ...he should have gotten more
    • ambivalent - neither hate nor totally endorse the contract

9 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

If you'd said not a consistent game changer I would agree completely. But don't you think TK at his best is a game changer? One PK can change a game especially when it scores a shorty, usually TK or SL. Beyond that when he's at his best he drives the entire team's attack and when the Flyers were cookin' the first 4 or 5 months they were one of the best transition teams in the NHL. That's a true story. 😁

I stand a bit corrected. I might have said it better as an offensive guy. He is a very good overall player.

This ensures that they'll never be in position to draft that stud defenseman or center to build around - unless they hit on a mid-to-late first rounder, which is unlikely. But at least we get to see other teams, like Chicago, go through their cycles of contender (or champion), to bottom feeder, to contender again (watch them rocket past us in a couple years) while we hover near the edge of the playoffs. Good times.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, flyer4ever said:

Another diminishing asset, just got harder to get fair value in a trade. Over price, way over term.

Agreed, it's 3 years too long and $1.25 million/per year too much. I was hoping he'd be traded at the deadline this coming year but that's not going to happen. This signing will go down in the negative column when evaluating how Briere faired as a GM.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SCFlyguy said:

Max Term.  Check.

Above Market Price.  Check

NMC/NTC.  Check.

Everyone saying Briere is different than past Flyer GMs can kindly shut up now.

why do you haters just grow a pair and root for another team? or are you flyers fans at all?

1 hour ago, tucson83 said:

why do you haters just grow a pair and root for another team? or are you flyers fans at all?

It's alright to be critical of things we love (team, family, country, etc) but the criticism should always be fair. When times are tough, it's easy to think that every move is bad and a portent of bad times to come. Sometimes being a harsh judge is natural when management regularly make moves that seem to go contrary to the way that the best teams operate. The thing is, signing your best player (and it's not even close on the Flyers) to a long term deal is a move that the best teams make.

I'm an Oilers fan, and they were a loser franchise for a very long time. They routinely thought themselves to be the smartest men in the room and consistently made moves that were contrary to the way that the best teams operate. They drafted high, developed them until they were 25/26/27, and then traded them for a 1st or a pair of 2nds because "those players will fit in the window" or "we need assets for the rebuild" and all that it ever did was extend the rebuild and keep moving the window.

Trading Konency for a possible chance at maybe drafting another Konecny is a loser move, and I think that Danny Briere 100% did the right thing yesterday.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 3

6 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

Trading Konency for a possible chance at maybe drafting another Konecny is a loser move, and I think that Danny Briere 100% did the right thing yesterday.

Thanks for saying this.

The thing about the Chicago cycle is everything has to go perfectly for that work. It did once and good for them.

Things need to go perfectly to win a Stanely Cup even when a team is good- a key player could get hurt, they could be stifled by a hot goalie, they could run into a bad match up early in the tournament.

There are plenty of teams that try to cycle and then never return to relevance. 

An underappreciated aspect of this signing is what it says about the Flyers organization and the culture they're saying is so important.

Konecny is a home-grown talent, who bought in, matured and is being rewarded...young players this can be you. I think being able to use TK as an example for a young guy is helpful.

I know you didn't type this but.. the contract is an overpay? maybe by like 400k. It's not going to kill the team in any fashion. 

Now that there is potential help on the power play, TK could score 6 more goals and get 10 more assists, then he's a value. '

Good hockey teams need good players and Konecny is a very good player

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Lindbergh31 said:

Agreed, it's 3 years too long and $1.25 million/per year too much. I was hoping he'd be traded at the deadline this coming year but that's not going to happen. This signing will go down in the negative column when evaluating how Briere faired as a GM.

Or, he is able to find a few more goals and points from an improved powerplay and the contract becomes a value in the near term, making the later years less onerous. 

You're not all the way wrong. TK is an >8 million per year player though. This is the Dom Luznskzyn model for contract value. TK is overpaid but not by a whole lot right now. 

He's nearly a point per game with sub-par centers and a historically bad powerplay, a slight improvement on the PP could make this contract a value. There's a couple of guys that could help with that on the team this year. 

TK contract projection.png

Edited by mojo1917

16 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

Cup contender?? Briere has a lot of work to do, to just make this team reach the playoffs. 

I don't know, they got pretty close last year. If the goaltending hadn't crapped the bed last year's team is a playoff team. 

It's debatable if that's because the Metro stank or if that group was just extra frisky.

Goaltending masks a lot of deficiencies, see :Jets, Winnepeg from last season and all those middling Canadiens teams from the Carey Price era.

If the Flyer tandem is just "good", .910/2.8 --the team has added Michkov and will get a healthy Jamie Drysdale to start, those two additions could mean curtains for the dream of tanking. 

It's possible.

I'm not going to put any money on anything but the team could be better than last season.

They could be better but finish lower in the standings, they could make the playoffs, they could totally pooh in the sheets...who knows. 

I am entertained though and right now that's enough. 

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

Cup contender?? Briere has a lot of work to do, to just make this team reach the playoffs. 

And this contract didn’t help at all...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JR Ewing said:

It's alright to be critical of things we love...country

Oh yeah?! If you don't like Canada move south, traitor!

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

And this contract didn’t help at all...

Exactly...................

They could've been stacked with picks & prospects going into the 2025 draft by moving Laughton & TK.   Instead, GM Torts decided to keep these "culture" players on the team in hopes of making the playoffs & selling more tickets.  The hell with sacrificing tickets sales in order to build a true Cup winning team.

• Good Post 1

/\ I think this type of thinking fails to consider the importance of getting it right with Michkov. /\

By all accounts Matvei is a generational type offensive player. He carries himself like a star. He seems to love the game, at least that was my take away from the media availability.

He is the most hyped prospect in PHI since Lindros. 

Bringing him into a situation where there aren't any established veteran players would not be good for his development. 

He will have to adjust to new... everything; language, culture, expectations, coaching. 

So on top of that, let's put all the expectations for success on the ice on his shoulders too?

He's going to want to win. He said it about 20 times in his presser. If the Flyers hand the team over him and he's it? they aren't winning anything for the foreseeable future.

Where is his incentive to hang around?

To me it seems like that's a sure-fire way to **** the kid up for his Flyers career.

Any future team success will depend on the Flyers handling MM's entry into the league correctly.

Or at least in a manner that fosters growth and maturity.

Getting rid of everyone who is good at hockey and saying welp, kid, go get 'em  isn't that.

So if an extra year of Scott Laughton and entrenched team leader like Travis Konecny is how the management wants to keep the kid invested? 

I'm okay with it.

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Fuzz said:

Exactly...................

They could've been stacked with picks & prospects going into the 2025 draft by moving Laughton & TK.   Instead, GM Torts decided to keep these "culture" players on the team in hopes of making the playoffs & selling more tickets.  The hell with sacrificing tickets sales in order to build a true Cup winning team.

Scott Laughton is overpaid by probably the value of his contract; I won't argue that. Trading Konecny would give the Flyers a chance to draft a kid who is hopefully as good as Konecny, and trading Laughton gets them a 3rd round pick, so they can draft a guy who hopefully turns out to be as good as Scott Laughton. The never-ending rebuild, the never-really-open-window.

There is value in identifying players who contribute on and off the ice and keeping them around, especially during a rebuild. I think there's value in showing loyalty to the right players and making them a player for your team for the entire career. Stuart Skinner is from Edmonton, and was asked who his favourite Oiler was, and it turned out to be Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, who will retire as the Oilers all-time leader in GP. There's value in that. Young players need veterans who can show them how to handle themselves as pros (in all of the various ways that includes) at the rink and away from the rink, and throwing kids into the deep end of the pool without a grown man or two around is a big mistake I've seen teams make so many times.

Organizations probably over-use the word "culture" now, but I do think there's something to identifying a set of values that are important to you, and then acquiring and keeping people who share those values.

Edited by JR Ewing
  • Like 4

On 7/25/2024 at 3:38 PM, JR Ewing said:

I've said it before, and will say it again: I think it's a good thing that they kept Konecny. I don't think that a rebuild means that literally every good player needs to be shown the door, and I think that people might have been underwhelmed by the return.

There's serious validity to this. Sending EVERYONE away and having no vet leadership is a recipie for disaster. Your Oiler experience and that of Buffalo speak to it.

That said, locking up a late 20s core that just ALMOST made the playoffs and has been with the team since they were drafted doesn't speak to me as the "rebuild" they claimed to embark upon. Michkov or no Michkov.

I've seen more than a few articles about the Flyers pivoting to "make the playoffs" - which just gives me Wild visions.

The gap between "make the playoffs" teams and actual Cup contenders is real and generally large and not easily changed in the middle of the first.

I like Konecny. I'd like him better as the C in this scenario but obvs Couturier isn't going anywhere and was captain in waiting the day Giroux left.

The question is "will they be a Cup contender within this contract?"

I'm not sanguine. As always, we'll see...

• Like 4

Ok well it's certainly not the worst signing the Flyers have ever done... Konecny is a good player. 

But lets look at the structure of this team...we have RW Konecny locked up with big money until the wheels fall off, we have RW Owen Tippett locked up for years, we have RW potential star Michkov over, who will likely be making some pretty good money sooner rather than later, we have RW Tyson Foerster, and RW Bobby Brink....which one of these guys is going to be forced to play the wing he doesn't want? Square peg in round hole? Or are we going to continue this nonsense of having 3rd and 4th liners making huge amounts of money? I don't know, I'm just asking. I guess you can trade Foerster, but his best days are ahead of him, instead of behind. Or Brink, but I doubt he brings in much. Then, on the left side the only legit guy is Farabee, who Fonzie is trying to run out of town. 

Most teams build from the centre out, or from the back end....Phillys management building from the RW? 

I swear we're going to be discussing them blowing this thing up until we're all dead. While they draft 10-20 every year.

• Like 2
  • Uggh... 2

8 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

Thanks for saying this.

The thing about the Chicago cycle is everything has to go perfectly for that work. It did once and good for them.

Things need to go perfectly to win a Stanely Cup even when a team is good- a key player could get hurt, they could be stifled by a hot goalie, they could run into a bad match up early in the tournament.

There are plenty of teams that try to cycle and then never return to relevance. 

An underappreciated aspect of this signing is what it says about the Flyers organization and the culture they're saying is so important.

Konecny is a home-grown talent, who bought in, matured and is being rewarded...young players this can be you. I think being able to use TK as an example for a young guy is helpful.

I know you didn't type this but.. the contract is an overpay? maybe by like 400k. It's not going to kill the team in any fashion. 

Now that there is potential help on the power play, TK could score 6 more goals and get 10 more assists, then he's a value. '

Good hockey teams need good players and Konecny is a very good player

You're right, things have to go right for a team to win a championship (or three). There are no guarantees. Personally, I'm just looking to be considered a legitimate contender, which we haven't been for at least 14 years. What they've been doing hasn't worked, so I'd like to try something different.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Ok well it's certainly not the worst signing the Flyers have ever done... Konecny is a good player. 

But lets look at the structure of this team...we have RW Konecny locked up with big money until the wheels fall off, we have RW Owen Tippett locked up for years, we have RW potential star Michkov over, who will likely be making some pretty good money sooner rather than later, we have RW Tyson Foerster, and RW Bobby Brink....which one of these guys is going to be forced to play the wing he doesn't want? Square peg in round hole? Or are we going to continue this nonsense of having 3rd and 4th liners making huge amounts of money? I don't know, I'm just asking. I guess you can trade Foerster, but his best days are ahead of him, instead of behind. Or Brink, but I doubt he brings in much. Then, on the left side the only legit guy is Farabee, who Fonzie is trying to run out of town. 

Most teams build from the centre out, or from the back end....Phillys management building from the RW? 

I swear we're going to be discussing them blowing this thing up until we're all dead. While they draft 10-20 every year.

yeah because your way doing things is what's going to put us in the lottery for years and years because everything in your mind is top 5 and not bother looking at the draft classes because in your mind there's no such thing as busts and here's the other thing you dont seem to want to grasp, superstars like mcdavid and matthews can choke in the playoffs but to you there's no such thing as that. you just dont want to focus on proven players that can possibly can get you over hump rather than players from the draft you hype about can easily turn this team back into the same team you dont like.

if you want to win a cup, get proven players that can get you over hump, not the organic way of just another mediocre playoff team.

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

Yup; the centre depth is pretty bad. I think they pretty much had to draft Michkov, no matter their depth at any position, because he was far too good to still be sitting around at #7. Otherwise, though, they need to prioritise pivots. Centres who can't win enough draws or aren't up to the defensive responsibility of the position can convert wingers, but most wingers can't convert to centre.

• Like 1