Travis Konecny extended 8 years @ 8.75 million / year

Your thoughts ......  

25 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about this contract .....

• I am totally on board with it ....
    • I do not like it ......
  2. 2. How do you feel about this contract Part 2

• Too much and Too long
    • just about right what he is worth ....
    • Not enough ...he should have gotten more
    • ambivalent - neither hate nor totally endorse the contract

https://www.nhl.com/flyers/news/flyers-sign-forward-travis-konecny-to-an-eight-year-extension?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR1Gg1_XCl757PMzgVcmmuxovcTGsGX4u0QsB56EYrkTzBW8ZFNwjnYKTyE_aem_OjAxsf-bJ-UF4x1ZVF1EyQ

The Philadelphia Flyers announced today they have extended forward Travis Konecny to an eight-year contract worth an average annual value (AAV) of $8.75 million beginning with the 2025-26 season, according to General Manager Daniel Brière. 

"Travis Konecny is an integral part of the fabric of our team and we are thrilled to have him under contract for the long-term," said Brière. "Travis has grown into a significant leader on our team and he truly embodies what it means to be a Flyer. His work-ethic, combined with his tenacity and talent makes him a central figure for what we are building towards, and his determination for our future success speaks volumes about his commitment to our team and city."

“I couldn’t be happier to sign again with the Flyers,” said Konecny. “There’s such a bright and exciting future with this team and I can’t wait to be a part of it for the next nine years and see what we will accomplish. I can’t thank all my teammates and staff members enough because this opportunity wouldn’t be possible without each and every one of them along the way. I can’t wait to get back to Philly in front of the best fans in the world and I look forward to another great season!

Edited by pilldoc

Agreed. Wished he was traded for assets that fit our timeline more. But if he had to be signed, then this could have been a worse contract. The money pr. year is fine. The term is the worst part, he will be 36 in his last year. But if he continues to develop and doesn't stagnate as a 30 goal scorer, 60 point guy, then the contract should be somewhat tradeable. So surely this spells the end for Farabee/Brink.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, flyer4ever said:

Another diminishing asset, just got harder to get fair value in a trade. Over price, way over term.

He probably wasn't going to sign in Philly, for less than $8.5 mil.

2 minutes ago, flyer4ever said:

Another diminishing asset, just got harder to get fair value in a trade. Over price, way over term.

He is also not a very big guy who plays pretty physical hockey.  I don't envision him lasting like Giroux has.

1 minute ago, FD19372 said:

He probably wasn't going to sign in Philly, for less than $8.5 mil.

I'm happy for the player, he tries hard. In the current market it;s too much money and way too much term. Once again Flyer management misreads the value of their assets. Big surprise.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, flyer4ever said:

I'm happy for the player, he tries hard. In the current market it;s too much money and way too much term. Once again Flyer management misreads the value of their assets. Big surprise.

As long as they trade him for decent value when he's approaching 34, assuming we have better and younger right wings at that point, I'm fine with it.

5 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

As long as they trade him for decent value when he's approaching 34, assuming we have better and younger right wings at that point, I'm fine with it.

When he's 34 he'll be on LTIR.

• Uggh... 1

15 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I love Konecny, but how on earth is a guy who's never hit 70 pts, worth $8.75 million for 8 more years, when he's already 27?

The AAV isn't crazy:

image.png

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I love Konecny, but how on earth is a guy who's never hit 70 pts, worth $8.75 million for 8 more years, when he's already 27?

I assume it's the b2b 30+ goal seasons and the intangibles, all the reasons you love him as do most Flyers' fans. And of course Tortorella seems to love his game and everything he brings.

The main thing for me is his AAV is under 10% of the cap, which is fine imho.

• Like 1

Now, after reading a comment from NHL insider Kevin Kurz on Twitter..ok X..."Travis Konecny has a no-move clause for the first six years and a limited no-trade clause for the final two of the new contract", I feel worse about this deal than I did originally.

#Master Of Puppets

#ObeyYourMaster

• Uggh... 2

I don't blame Konecny for signing this deal because the team was stupid enough to offer it to him.  With that being said, the Flyers are completely overwhelmed with talent on the right wing, to the point that players are playing out of position. They still have center issues to address, two players will need contracts and are probably going to get hefty raises (Foerster, York) and they have to get out from under some bad contracts. This desk complicates those matters. Whoever the cap guy is, he better be feeling some heat because this contract has the potential to be messy. And go figure, the Flyers are paying Konecny more money than what Giroux got while he was here. 

Edited by BobbyClarkeFan16

1 hour ago, FD19372 said:

Travis Konecny has a no-move clause for the first six years and a limited no-trade clause for the final two of the new contract

Do Flyer GMs just fold like a cheap suit in contract negotiations or what?

• Like 1

Damn. We knew it. But was just holding out for hope.

There is none. Old boss same as the new one.

Just to prove they are not rebuilding a retool and let's go for it mindset.

**** these guys they'll never learn....

• Like 2

This contract confirms the Flyers are not rebuilding.   Back to mediocrity once again.

The rebuilding Briere was speaking about is simply more BS from the organization.

• Good Post 2

Couple of things for me.

I was expecting this.

That means my hopes of somehow management turning him into something other teams aren't giving up, even though he's the best asset are not dashed.

So, whew, bullet dodged there.

The management has said repeatedly they are not going to tank.  

I would say they are keeping their word. 

Funny how this thread has nearly as many posts as the Michkov arrival thread in less than 1/8 of the time.

Thank god the cap is expected to rise. That's a lot of money. 

I hope he lives up to the contract in the near term especially.

He's a good player, he's fun to watch, he is young enough that he can be a bridge to and member of teams that are in the top 6-8 in the league. 

The management is all in on this culture business, he's going to be a good person to have around for that.

He brings guys into the fight, he stirs things up.

Michkov can't be expected to come in and Gretzky, so why not have some good players for him to play with immediately?

My hope now is for Ristolainen to make himself useful and get off the payroll for a pick or someshit. 

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

And go figure, the Flyers are paying Konecny more money than what Giroux got while he was here. 

That contract was signed 11 years ago.

I mean, you're not wrong.

Superstars are signing for >10m .aav today. 

@pilldoc

I have beef with that contract poll.

The way it's constructed there is no option for ambivalence. 

I don't think the contract is terrible, but I do think it's too much for too long.

Honestly, it's about what I was expecting.  

Edited by mojo1917

19 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

That contract was signed 11 years ago.

I mean, you're not wrong.

Superstars are signing for >10m .aav today. 

@pilldoc

I don't think the contract is terrible, but I do think it's too much for too long.

I can fix the poll… eazy peazy 

• Thanks 1

The full no-move clause for the first 6 years is disappointing but hardly surprising. Flyers' GMs are known for including NMC/NTCs. They've never been the Dave Armstrong, Lou Lamoriello types. It's disappointing because normally a player gives up something to get a NMC. As far as I can tell TK gave up nothing. He got max AAV and max term.

Does this mean Briere isn't a good, tough negotiator? Maybe. On the other hand it could mean Briere didn't want to "fight" with his best player so he gave him what he wants. The AAV is <10% of the team cap and that is perfectly reasonable for TK.

However it went down I'm okay with it. I've said forever the Flyers need TK more than he needs them. He's a unique player who leads the Flyers' attack, not just under Tortorella but whoever coaches them. Best of all he's fun to watch.

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

37 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

just added the 4 option…. Does this work?

• Thanks 1

I like the guy.  But he should have been traded for assets.  He is good and works hard. But he is no game changer.  He is a "Flyer" player, someone with grit but not so much talent.  There's going to be roster dumping sooner than later.  You add this to Coots and we have 16 million+ tied up with one player who is probably a 3C at this stage, and a right winger who's competent, but no real "superstar."   Not good.  

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

But he is no game changer.

If you'd said not a consistent game changer I would agree completely. But don't you think TK at his best is a game changer? One PK can change a game especially when it scores a shorty, usually TK or SL. Beyond that when he's at his best he drives the entire team's attack and when the Flyers were cookin' the first 4 or 5 months they were one of the best transition teams in the NHL. That's a true story. 😁

Edited by GratefulFlyers
  • Like 1