UPL gets 5 yrs, 23 million

Sabres agree to 5-year/$23.75M deal with goalie Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen

• Associated Press
Jul 24, 2024, 07:29 PM ET

Goalie Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen went from being the Buffalo Sabres' third-string goalie at the beginning of last season to their potential long-term answer in net after agreeing to a five-year, $23.75 million contract Wednesday.

The deal comes as Luukkonen, a restricted free agent, was scheduled to have his contract determined in arbitration in the next two weeks. For the 25-year-old from Finland, the contract provides long-term security for a player whose future was uncertain in Buffalo over the past two years.

For the Sabres, the signing has the potential of filling what has been an unsettled position since trading Ryan Miller to St. Louis during the 2013-14 season.

Luukkonen, better known as "UPL," began last season as the Sabres' third goalie to start a game and gradually worked his way up the depth chart ahead of rookie Devon Levi and backup Eric Comrie. In taking over the starting job Dec. 30, he enjoyed a stretch of going 17-9-1 in which he allowed 52 goals and posted four shutouts.

Luukkonen finished the season with a 27-22-4 record, becoming Buffalo's first goalie to win 27 games and register five shutouts since Miller's 31 wins and six shutouts in 2011-12.

Overall, he finished tied for eighth in the NHL with a 2.57 goals-against average and tied for second in shutouts. Luukkonen's performance was considered one of the few bright spots for a Sabres team that extended its NHL-record playoff drought to a 13th season and led to coach Don Granato's firing.

Granato has since been replaced by Lindy Ruff, who is back for a second stint with the Sabres.

Luukkonen spent the three previous seasons bouncing between the Sabres and the minors in combining for a 20-19-6 record for Buffalo. Listed at 6-foot-5 and 217 pounds, he was selected by Buffalo in the second round of the 2017 draft.

The Sabres anticipated opening the season with Luukkonen securing one goalie spot, and Levi and veteran free agent addition James Reimer competing for the backup job.

Well, I think it's about time for UPL.
Buffalo looks like they are all but GIVING the crease to him....now he has to make good on it and show they aren't wrong in doing so!

Reimer is a solid backup...but he IS just that: a backup.
And if he is pressed into service more than he should, due to UPL shatting the bed, then the Sabres will continue to have some real problems in getting to competitiveness. 
I know Buffalo still has some stuff to work on with the defense, and the d-men, as a group, haven't exactly helped out whatever goalie has been in there, but this is UPL's chance to shine, and show the front office in big bold letters that he belongs in that crease, that crease should be his always, and that they need to get better defense personnel or at least a better defensive structure, in front of him.
He needs to make it about improving the defense, not improving the goalie situation.

Devon Levi could still have a good future in the NHL, but at 22, he is probably better off getting regular starts in the minors and not riding the pine in the NHL with Buffalo attempting, yet again, to do that three headed goalie balancing act they seem to like to do.....which never seems to work.

So yea....it is UPL's time, no more excuses, he is now 25, he just needs to put on a show and justify that 4.75M the Sabres will be giving him annually for the next five years, and just get it done!

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26

47 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

So yea....it is UPL's time, no more excuses,

In other news, I think I have my second goalie keeper now.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

In that case, for your sake, you best hope Buffalo got it right! :)

I think they did, although the length is surprising to me because i really think Devon Levi might be the better goalie.

48 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I think they did, although the length is surprising to me because i really think Devon Levi might be the better goalie.

And of course...there is always the danger of you breaking a goalie by putting him on your squad :bigteeth: 

• Haha 1
  • Uggh... 1

12 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

And of course...there is always the danger of you breaking a goalie by putting him on your squad :bigteeth: 

The curse is alive and well !!!! 😂

• Haha 1