**Minnesota Wild Summer 2024, Training Camps, and Exhibition Season**

XcelEnergyCenteroverview.jpg.69961a92f572a4f9b979a44997796dfa.jpg

Summertime in the State of Hockey, and just seems well past the time we have a new thread set up for discussion on what the Wild are doing this summer and heading into the exhibition season before the start of the new season.

The next step past the now long in the tooth 23-24 season thread.
New faces, new places, new strategies perhaps? Hmm...will remain to be seen.
Cap hell is still present...ho hum.

At any rate, fresh new thread as the Wild leave last season behind and move forward in preparation for the 24-25 season.   
There ya go fans....all general Wild goings on, right here.  

1 hour ago, Alexandron said:

TFG, are we going to have also a 2024-2025 general season thread? Not much left before a new season starts. Just a couple months. 

Absolutely will!

This is just for the rest of the summer and into the exhibition season.
Once the season starts in October, we refresh once again.

Honestly, a thread like this one for summer should have been started sooner...probably after the SC Finals.
But either way, a good 2-3 months worth of summer/training camp stuff I would think here. 

• Thanks 1

More and more hockey fans at my work are talking that Predators team will be a cup contender. They have now 3 forty goal scoring players:  Forsberg; Stamkos Marchessault.

7 hours ago, bbgarnett said:

Well, it's summer, things are slowed down now, somebody needs something to write about.
Right away, one can tell this was a Rangers-centric article as it seems to want to explore the "oooo, ahhhh, wheeee" possibilites of having Kirill Kaprizov skate in a NY sweater, BUT, while they do acknowledge that a trade wouldn't come cheap, they really don't touch on the parts of WHO the Rangers would have to give up (not talking spare parts either!), nor how that would impact their overall lineup in order to win a Stanley Cup.

You and I both know Kap would make them better up front....but at what cost?

I think as Wild fans, we may have to come to terms with the fact Kirill may be leaving at some point, but that time isn't yet. The Wild front office still has time to continue to sell Kap on staying on board beyond his current contract.

So, at least for now, the Rangers and anyone else who 'envisions' Kap in their lineup in a trade where they give up almost nothing for him can keep dreaming. :) 

I still think there is a pretty good chance that Kaprizov will not be on the Wild roster for the 2026-2027 season. His NMC kicks in this year and if the team turns in another performance like they did last season, I can see him just running out his contract with the Wild and bolting for greener pastures. They guy wants to win, and he won't be satisfied with the yearly first round flameout.

And Hynes record as a head coach isn't exactly glowing. Made the Playoffs once in four years with New Jersey and lost in the first round. Made the playoffs three times in four years with Nashville, but never made it past the first round.

This team is a real-life Groundhog Day...

• Like 1

I would agree with Kalisha from the mentioned above article that the line of Kaprizov-EEK-Yurov could present in the future the most powerful 1st line for the Wild team. Hope, that vision will become a real one. And also, never happened in NHL history to have a forward line with previously 2 Gagarin Cup winners. It will be a very rare event here. I think mentality of that line will be extremely high on wins.

• Like 1

Just looked through some historic data. How many NHL players were Minnesotans? And how many of them got a Stanley Cup? We have so far 307 Minnesota native players in NHL history. And 36 of them have got a Stanley Cup in their carriers. 2 of them have got multiple times (Dave Langevin 4 times with Ney York Islanders; Matt Cullen 1 time with Carolina Hurricanes and 2 times with Pittsburg Penguins). The last player who has got a Stanley Cup this 2024 year is Kyle Okposo.

https://history.vintagemnhockey.com/page/show/813701-minnesota-nhl-players-with-birthplace

https://history.vintagemnhockey.com/page/show/813688-minnesotans-inscribed-on-lord-stanley-s-cup-

Maybe someday we will see a Minnesota native NHL line in the Wild club? That never happened in the Minnesota Hockey history. Here is one of the unreal dreaming options: Boeser (40 goals scorer)-Okposo (very experienced player)-Clarke (new promising prospect).  

7 hours ago, Jimtown guy said:

IMG_7735.jpeg

Man. 8.5 millionx8 for a guy with 1 season of 47 points in 82 games seems risky to me.

Could be a steal in a few years or it could be Seth Jones/ Darnell Nurse territory

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jimtown guy said:

IMG_7735.jpeg

Holy...

Well it'll be done when he's 29-30?

If he continues his growth, steal.  But man, that's a lot to heap on a 21 year old.  

I'm not a wild fan, but God knows Wild fans deserve to have this work out.

As stated this could be Matt Dumba 2.0 or the signing of the year. 
Waiting another year for Faber to prove it could have cost the Wild another 1-1/2 to 2 mill a year. 
Hind sight is always easier, unfortunately BG doesn’t have a crystal ball. 

It is going to be an interesting competitive home opener game for us on October 10th, 2024. The Blue Jackets team of our former head coach Evason(hired a week ago in Columbus) will be playing against our Wild team of the current head coach Hynes.

4 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

Seems kind of odd that Faber has one good season and gets $8M thrown at him, and yet Marco Rossi who also had a good season, seems to have to prove more to BG...

Difference being Faber did it basically right out of college and Rossi took a few years to prove himself. This contract will end up being a steal in my book 

On 7/29/2024 at 8:30 PM, J0e Th0rnton said:

Man. 8.5 millionx8 for a guy with 1 season of 47 points in 82 games seems risky to me.

Could be a steal in a few years or it could be Seth Jones/ Darnell Nurse territory

I disagree.  He isn't the most expensive contract.  I also think he's more versatile than Nurse.  And he's only 21.  So its not like we're paying him for just what he did in the past and that a number of the years are ones where he's past his prime.  

On 7/30/2024 at 8:50 AM, IllaZilla said:

Seems kind of odd that Faber has one good season and gets $8M thrown at him, and yet Marco Rossi who also had a good season, seems to have to prove more to BG...

Faber was pretty consistent and what he did in his first professional season is not something you see too often.  Rossi had a better season, but his production and impact were inconsistent.  I also think, they are still wondering if he fits the way they want this team to play.  Plus, Guerin has shown he seems to have more of a prove it mentality for forwards than defenseman.  Plus, they probably have to hope Rossi takes less $$$ because of all of the stupid money they gave to 3rd line veterans.  

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

22 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

I disagree.  He isn't the most expensive contract.  I also think he's more versatile than Nurse.  And he's only 21.  So its not like we're paying him for just what he did in the past and that a number of the years are ones where he's past his prime.  

Oh probably. Nurse looked amazing at the time though. fast skater, physical and considered good defensively, minute muncher and finally started showing offensive game. Looked like a true #1 Dman

Faber, well

Faber has a red flag flying over him IMO. A player with no history of exceptional offensive production comes out of nowhere and puts up 47 pts with 16 of those being on the powerplay in only his his first NHL season. A rookie. This is typically not the norm, and the question is, is this repeatable. I will say Faber, whose offensive numbers were minimal throughout his entire playing career, had a very nice final year in the NCAA when he scored at a fairly impressive rate of .71 pts per game. So, while there is risk associated with Faber there is also some indicators that suggest last year's output was perhaps not an outlier. That said, I don't think Faber is an elite offensive defensemen whatsoever, 60 pts and north of 60 is sure not where I have him projected. Rather, if he can sustain last years' production which is 50/50 at best IMO, he is a 50 pt D Man

I've seen a LOT of players come out their first season on fire, where everyone goes 'wow, where did this guy come from"  and then sputter. 

And let me say, I hope my fears are unfounded and he is good for you guys for years. I like the Wild and specifically draft some Wild players every year in fantasy. But I think once he is off PP1 once Buium ascends, folks will start to grumble about paying him that much if his production drops

A couple interesting and detailed articles were published recently at hockeywilderness.com site regarding Lauko and  Trenin team's upgrade and regarding of Minnesota native promising prospect Charlie Stramel who was drafted in round 1 ; #21 overall in 2023. It seems they all could play an important role in the forming of team's identity.

https://hockeywilderness.com/news-rumors/minnesota-wild/are-lauko-and-trenin-an-upgrade-from-the-deweys-r30165/

https://hockeywilderness.com/news-rumors/minnesota-wild/charlie-stramel-wont-be-a-bust-if-the-wild-are-patient-with-him-r30168/

Just found out,  that 2 Minnesota native hockey players - women were inducted into the NHL Hockey Hall of Fame this 2024 year among other 5 people. There were Natalie Darwitz from Eagan,  MN and Krissy Wendell-Pohl, from Brooklyn  Park,  MN. Both played for the University of Minnesota team, as well as played for the US national team at the World Championships, and Olympic games. And both got multiple awards there when played at the end of 20th Century and at the beginning of 21st Century. I think, that is a historic moment for the State of Minnesota  and their names should be placed on our ice Xcel Energy arena too. And maybe they both should drop the puck on our home opener game this fall. That would be a very nice extremely rare event here.I really do not know who else have got a chance to induct into the NHL Hall of Fame from Minnesota.