THE NATIONAL HOCKEY LEAGUE’S REVENUE BREAKDOWN

Thanks for posting.  Our dependence on ticket sales has been noted for a long time.  What might save hockey is that it has a much more affluent demographic than the other major sports.  Playoff hockey TV has particularly high ratings among the college-educated.  That said, this sport's not particularly "woke" (i.e., diverse) in terms of players or fans.  I see this up close and personal in South Florida.  Soccer matches, like last week's COPA gig, draw 65,000 fans.  But until the last few years, the Panthers did poorly at the gate.  I think that is more than performance.  It's a comment on the "New America" and what it follows versus other.  

Interesting.

If this doesn't show that the NHL is number 4 out of 4 of the major team sports in North America, then I don't know what does.
Money talks.

But like I said...interesting.
The breakdowns. And they look about right too.

As @Howie58 mentioned...the ticket sales are HUGE for the NHL and that graph shows it plain as day!
Which means franchises like the Panthers, like the former Coyotes, and sometimes the Dallas Stars (yep..I think they had some attendance issues not that long ago), can get into deep holes unless people show up at the games!

Couple that with concessions and we are looking at over half of the revenue for NHL teams...all relying on you, the fan, showing up and spending money at the arenas!

No big surprise the NFL is number one, AND that their big money comes from national tv media.

I am also a big baseball fan, and glad to see the MLB doing very well and their big thing is ticket sales and national tv media...which is why my Rays are considered paupers in the MLB....attendance isn't so hot, and they don't get a ton of nationally televised games.

They DO however, have a fantastic local tv media inflow....sadly, that isn't near enough.

Good post, @NHL HHOF 

Bettman has taken heat for moving the game into "non-traditional" franchises.  Failure to move out of the NE and Canada would have been lethal.  Small media markets towns are a big problem.  That's one of the reasons Quebec City didn't get an expansion team.  And as I understand it, this is why the league has 50 percent of its teams in the playoffs.  Being there can make the difference between a profitable and unprofitable season.  

• Like 1

Having 16 teams in three playoffs whether it's a 32 team league or 28 team league has been going on for decades it's not about getting the league an extra 2 to 16 home games to profit off of...won't long before NHL pie chart looks like the other major leagues percentage wise...