Best Hockey Player On Each Team For The Last 3 Years? Hmmmm...

NHLbestplayers.thumb.jpg.e18f0b354eeca6570f8c485adc85de84.jpg

This was posted on social media.
I'm a bit bored tonight. At home with a bit of a fever, so decided to put this out here and stir up controversy...hahaha...yea right.

Anyways...last 3 seasons, eh?
Agree or disagree with the listings?

I think they are pretty close on here.
I'd still take Barkov on Florida over Tkachuk as I think he is the more complete player and can still hang easily with Tkachuk in production.
I like John Carlson better on Washington as the model of consistency throughout his career playing a difficult position in the NHL.
And I like Nico Hischier better on NJ over Jack Hughes for the same reason I like Barkov over Tkachuk.

Oh, and in Calgary, despite a down year by his standards by Huberdeau, I'd still take him over Weegar as "best" player the last three seasons. 

What say the forum?

AAAAAAAAchooooooo.... excuse me... 
Aren't you glad you are on the other side of the monitor? :ph34r: 

• Like 1

I can only really speak to the Wild and I would probably have to go with EEK over Kaprizov for the same reasons, a more complete player.  If Kirill starts taking faceoffs that would probably change pretty quickly. 

lol.... They have Tofolli listed for the Sharks, and he hasn't even played a game for them.

@TropicalFruitGirl26 Huberdeau hasn't been nearly as productive now that he doesn't have Barkov giving him cover and taking all of the tough assignments. He's struggled, been benched, and has been a defensive black hole. Both Nazem Kadri and Blake Coleman have been much better.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

lol.... They have Tofolli listed for the Sharks, and he hasn't even played a game for them.

@TropicalFruitGirl26 Huberdeau hasn't been nearly as productive now that he doesn't have Barkov giving him cover and taking all of the tough assignments. He's struggled, been benched, and has been a defensive black hole. Both Nazem Kadri and Blake Coleman have been much better.

I guess I am not sold on Huberdeau's "slide" just based off of one bad season.
But...if that continues this year, I guess it IS real.

10 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

I guess I am not sold on Huberdeau's "slide" just based off of one bad season.
But...if that continues this year, I guess it IS real.

If the question requires only judging the last 3 years it can't be Hubie since he had his best year followed by his 2 worse...same for Florida since Barkov been mostly injured last 2 years and can't ignore fact that they won Cup because of getting Tkachuk so for me the Cup year and presided by Cup finals year gives it to Tkachuk just based on those 2 years alone since those 2 years are the 2 best years in their franchise history...

But back to Hubie I don't think he's lost it but just bad luck and different system being played...

Edited by thegx.ca

10 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

Haha yeah about Toffoli they must mean past 3 years of any player currently on that team it has been his best 3 years the last 3 were...

I'm taking the question as the best player on the team just looking at their last 3 dragon seasons so for Calgary I gotta pick Kadri over Weegar because the last 3 seasons saw Kadri win Cup then when to a new team next season and beat out everyone on his new team to go to the All Star Game...Weegar last 3 seasons are his best but can't compare to seasons with the Cup followed by All Star selection...

13 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

I like John Carlson better on Washington as the model of consistency throughout his career

Agree.  Dylan Strome has only played two seasons for the Capitals, for starters but also, Carlson’s +/- is considerably better.  (He is +86 career-wise, despite often looking like a defensive liability.  Hmmm.)

—> But what I found more interesting and revealing is that Sidney Crosby is still considered the best Penguin, whereas Ovechkin is not considered the best Capital.  Both rookies in 05-06, it adds to Crosby being the overall better career player, FAR better +/- and FAR better playoffs performer over these past 19 seasons.  

1 minute ago, SaucyJack said:

Agree.  Dylan Strome has only played two seasons for the Capitals, for starters but also, Carlson’s +/- is considerably better.  (He is +86 career-wise, despite often looking like a defensive liability.  Hmmm.)

—> But what I found more interesting and revealing is that Sidney Crosby is still considered the best Penguin, whereas Ovechkin is not considered the best Capital.  Both rookies in 05-06, it adds to Crosby being the overall better career player, FAR better +/- and FAR better playoffs performer over these past 19 seasons.  

TBH, no one would have to twist my arm to get me to agree that Ovechkin would still be the Captials' best player.
In fact, I almost went that way, but decided on Carlson for myself because John's numbers are still right up there, and have been for the last three years, with some very good FORWARDS.
Ovie had a "down" year last year...but like I felt about Huberdeau, it was a down year only for HIS standards.  Ovechkin had 65 points and was almost a PPG player (.80), while still racking up the monster hits.....but 65 for HIM is down because we are used to so much more.

Meanwhile Carlson just keeps plugging along, around a three quarter PPG player (0.70 give or take) the last three years, usually staying on the + side of the ledger, while still playing a ton of minutes, defending the best forwards on the other side, and still generating offense for others.
So yea...that's why I decided on Carlson.

18 hours ago, Tomdog said:

I can only really speak to the Wild and I would probably have to go with EEK over Kaprizov for the same reasons, a more complete player.  If Kirill starts taking faceoffs that would probably change pretty quickly. 

you know, when I first saw your post, my immediate thought was, "How can he even consider EEK over Kap!"

Then I looked into their numbers, thought about the things I see from both of them on the ice....and well, EEK is a LOT closer to being a 'team best' guy than I initially thought.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm an EEK fan, and I know the value he brings to the team, all the things he does well and the fact the team is definitely better with him on the ice, than when he isn't, but Kap's skillset is so good, it was hard to imagine the 'do-everything' EEK could come close...but he DOES!

Now, I will STILL go with the listing as Kaprizov being the Wild's best player...let's face it...when the chips are down, Minnesota needs a goal or someone to create a goal situation, Kap is the guy they turn to, and Kap is the guy the other team is trying to shut down.
But that said, EEK is sneaky good, does things Kap really doesn't do a whole lot of (the complete game, yes!), like hitting, takes faceoffs (although as a FO man, he does seem pretty average, even though he takes a ton of them), and he draws penalties because he agitates the crap out of the opposition, PLUS, he plays on both special teams.

I think as Kap evolves in the NHL he will add to his skillset and duties on the ice (and he does back check and play some defense here and there), but even as he is now, IMO, he is STILL The Man on the Wild...although, EEK isn't a bad consideration at all and several arguments can most certainly be made in his favor!

The group I got this from didn't include goalies, and they did say NOT including goalies, but if so, it probably should have been the "best skaters from each team for the last three years".
Because by saying "players" that SHOULD include goalies.

And as such, I think some teams could possibly have a goalie as their best player.
Hellebuyck in WPG for starters...although, now that I think about it, I would even take someone like Kyle Connor or Mark Scheifele over Josh Morrissey...nothing against Josh, as he is a more than solid defenseman.
But without Hell Boy, I don't think the Jets are as good a team, whereas those other guys could be compensated for on the team...

Igor Shesterkin on the Rangers would probably qualify as their best player because even guys like Adam Fox or Mika Zibanejad go into bad streaks and he is still there stealing games.

And of course, Andrei Vasilevskiy on the Lightning could be a consideration...despite last season being his career worst statistically.
Kucherov is still a viable choice...but Vasilevskiy and even Brayden Point definitely deserve consideration.

1 hour ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

you know, when I first saw your post, my immediate thought was, "How can he even consider EEK over Kap!"

Then I looked into their numbers, thought about the things I see from both of them on the ice....and well, EEK is a LOT closer to being a 'team best' guy than I initially thought.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm an EEK fan, and I know the value he brings to the team, all the things he does well and the fact the team is definitely better with him on the ice, than when he isn't, but Kap's skillset is so good, it was hard to imagine the 'do-everything' EEK could come close...but he DOES!

Now, I will STILL go with the listing as Kaprizov being the Wild's best player...let's face it...when the chips are down, Minnesota needs a goal or someone to create a goal situation, Kap is the guy they turn to, and Kap is the guy the other team is trying to shut down.
But that said, EEK is sneaky good, does things Kap really doesn't do a whole lot of (the complete game, yes!), like hitting, takes faceoffs (although as a FO man, he does seem pretty average, even though he takes a ton of them), and he draws penalties because he agitates the crap out of the opposition, PLUS, he plays on both special teams.

I think as Kap evolves in the NHL he will add to his skillset and duties on the ice (and he does back check and play some defense here and there), but even as he is now, IMO, he is STILL The Man on the Wild...although, EEK isn't a bad consideration at all and several arguments can most certainly be made in his favor!

Well put on Kap, I guess I’m just always going to be a 3 way player kind of guy. Must score, must hit, must kill penalties. 

• Like 1