Guessing where all teams finish within the Metro

We're back baby. After a long and thoughtful few days I have created my list for the Metro. I am yet to get absolutely ripped on for one of my first two lists, so third time is the charm I guess. Anyways let me know where and why you disagree, and for the full rationale of my picks, you can head to www.thenhlrewind.ca where I just posted the full article. Thanks everyone!

1. Rangers

2. Devils

3. Canes

4. Caps

5. Islanders

6. Penguins

7. Blue Jackets

8. Flyers

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, The NHL Rewind said:

We're back baby. After a long and thoughtful few days I have created my list for the Metro. I am yet to get absolutely ripped on for one of my first two lists, so third time is the charm I guess. Anyways let me know where and why you disagree, and for the full rationale of my picks, you can head to www.thenhlrewind.ca where I just posted the full article. Thanks everyone!

1. Rangers

2. Devils

3. Canes

4. Caps

5. Islanders

6. Penguins

7. Blue Jackets

8. Flyers

You are not going to get ripped here.  Rangers are still team to beat.  The Devils "if they fix their goaltending" and Markstrom is definitely and improvement from what they had, I could easily see as a rebound team from last year and sneak into the #2 spot.  Canes are about right ....  I would swap the Isles and Caps based off of goaltending alone.   Pens are on a downward trek ....last hurrah for Crosby and company.  Blue Jackets and Flyers ....meh.  And this is coming from a Flyers fan ...

"The Flyers had a surprisingly good start to the season last year, (I still am not sure how) (2 words - Coach Torts) with a record of 19-11-4, pushing half way through the season. The team did see a major shift in performance when Carter Hart was playing vs. no longer with the team, and unfortunately Samuel Ersson just wasn’t ready to take over the starter position. With Ersson still in place to be the starter, and a less than ideal d-core, AND a forward group with some  (Many) holes, .... "

I see Philly ending up at the bottom of the Metro and maybe 
(SHOULD BE) selling a few pieces (Maybe ...if this team wants to do a true rebuild then then the word most applicable would be SHOULD BE) at the trade deadline such as Scott Laughton and Rasmus Ristolainen (only if you can find a team willing to take on that hideous contract).

I think you are pretty much on the right track .....

1. Rangers
  2. Devils 
  3. Canes
  4. Isles
  5. Caps
  6. Pens
  7. Blue Jackets
  8. Flyers
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, The NHL Rewind said:

1. Rangers

2. Devils

3. Canes

4. Caps

5. Islanders

6. Penguins

7. Blue Jackets

8. Flyers

Terrific piece.  I can't argue about any of this.   I don't think the Devils are a stretch here. I think they're really very good and ran into bad luck with injuries and bad goaltending, as you point out. 

I'm not bullish that the Canes will be as good as they have been but think 3rd is a pretty good prediction. You mentioned watching for the Capitals, which...yeah (sadly).

And the Flyers, I think, are an accurate prediction.  Torts may have everyone playing well out of the gate, so they may build up enough first half points to avoid last, but that's exactly where this team belongs. 

Really well-written and argued, again.  Keep it coming.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, ruxpin said:

You mentioned watching for the Capitals, which...yeah (sadly).

4. Washington Capitals

This was a team I was thinking of maybe, possibly putting at #3 (I wrote an entire 350 words on it and then realised I didn’t fully agree with myself)

There is no reason to fret or fear.  It has been common since the late 1980’s for perfectly nice, ordinary people, of regular sound mind, to start blubbering to themselves about the Capitals, in oft-schizophrenic and/or incoherent fashion, to the point of not knowing up from down, east from west, all compasses confounded.  All quite normal, really, “nothing to see here” sort of thing.  Cheerio, then, ttfn…

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, pilldoc said:

I see Philly ending up at the bottom of the Metro and maybe  (SHOULD BE) selling a few pieces (Maybe ...if this team wants to do a true rebuild then then the word most applicable would be SHOULD BE) at the trade deadline such as Scott Laughton and Rasmus Ristolainen (only if you can find a team willing to take on that hideous contract).

Provided he can stay on the ice...

The way Ristolainen benefited from the coaching and usage from Torts and Shaw, I think he may be valued around the league.

I think if he plays the way he was prior to his injury, he can be traded with no salary retention. 

Those guys got him playing defense instead of whatever he was doing for the first part of his career and it turned out he was pretty okay at it.

I do think there will be sunk cost with him. But if he's off the payroll that's a win imo.

@The NHL Rewind

I don't know if I think the Bluejackets will be 20 points better than they were last season.

I don't think the Flyers will be too much worse than they were last season. It depends on the goaltending.

I'm predicting bottom 8 in the league for the Flyers.

I still think Columbus is in that bottom 7.  It will be an uncompelling race for certain.

Small quibble with the Canes getting leapfrogged by the Devils, can't tell if it's because I hate the Devils though. There is a lot of good young talent on that team that woefully underperformed last season. 

I still think that Brind'Amour gets the most out of his guys during the regular season and I think Eric Tulsky will find players to adequately fill in for the departed. 

Welcome to the board and thanks for the article.

• Like 2

NY

CAR

NJ

WSH

CBJ

LGI

PIT

PHI

Johnny and Mohnny back again...this division is top half well ahead of bottom half again🍻

Edited by thegx.ca

I'm trending in the same direction. New Jersey has improved with better goaltending and if they can reamin healthy, the Pens are definitely on a downward trend, I still don't believe in the Jackets and Tortorella will push his team to the limit I guess. Things are a bit blurry in the middle, hard to tell who will make it...

1. NY Rangers

2. Carolina

3. New Jersey

4. NY Islanders

5. Washington

6. Pittsburgh

7. Philadelphia

8. Columbus

• Like 1