Guessing where all teams finish within the Central division

I just posted a few days ago my Atlantic division standings, but here are my predictions for the Central division. Again, please let me know what you think and what you agree/disagree with!

1. Dallas

2. Colorado

3. Nashville

4. Winnipeg

5. Utah

6. Minnesota

7. Chicago

8. St. Louis

Just like last time, if you want to see my rationale for my picks, it's the most recent publication on thenhlrewind.ca !

• Like 1

1. Colorado

2. Dallas

3. Wild

4. Winnipeg

5. Nashville

6. St. Louis

7. Chicago

8. Utah

In my opinion, Wild is going to improve their play, including goaltending.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The NHL Rewind said:

I just posted a few days ago my Atlantic division standings, but here are my predictions for the Central division. Again, please let me know what you think and what you agree/disagree with!

1. Dallas

2. Colorado

3. Nashville

4. Winnipeg

5. Utah

6. Minnesota

7. Chicago

8. St. Louis

Just like last time, if you want to see my rationale for my picks, it's the most recent publication on thenhlrewind.ca !

Great list i have to go with your order.

Dallas is adding some youth to their top 6 so not sure how they plays out and i do like the Avs blueline better but they are weak in net.

The Central is interesting. Not the best division in the League but globally the best teams took a step back while the bottom teams improved. Here's my take:

1. Colorado (suspect goaltending but Geogiev can't be as bas as last season. Losing Nichushkin hurts but maybe they finally have a true 2C in Mittelstadt and they are still very talented)

2. Dallas (still missing a legit top-4 Dman and overall defensive depth but I like the kids pushing on the door with Stankoven, Bourque and maybe Bichsel)

3. Utah (My surprise of the League with the excitement around the new brand. I had put the former Yotes as a playoff team last year and it seems that Armstrong waited to move to Utah to finally decide to make significant moves. Sergachev and Cole will solidify the D while Stenlund is a great depth addition)

4. Nashville (Huge improvement on the paper with their blockbuster acquisitions, still need to see if it will mesh well together)

5. Winnipeg (A big step back. Losing Monahan and Toffoli is huge. Brossoit as well because Hellebuyck will have a massive, if not too much workload)

6. Minnesota (no significant moves, my guess is that the Wild will be around the same spot)

7. Chicago (The rebuildling is still processing but they are trending in the right direction. Not enough to make a big splash though)

8. St-Louis (Old team loaded with bad contracts on vets. Plus they might lost Krug for the season)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Math said:

8. St-Louis (Old team loaded with bad contracts on vets. Plus they might lost Krug for the season)

It is time for this club to blow it up and rebuild...but i'm sure they won't they think they can retool and get back in it. Whatever.

Edited by OccamsRazor
fix boo boo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Math said:

The Central is interesting. Not the best division in the League but globally the best teams took a step back while the bottom teams improved. Here's my take:

1. Colorado (suspect goaltending but Geogiev can't be as bas as last season. Losing Nichushkin hurts but maybe they finally have a true 2C in Mittelstadt and they are still very talented)

2. Dallas (still missing a legit top-4 Dman and overall defensive depth but I like the kids pushing on the door with Stankoven, Bourque and maybe Bichsel)

3. Utah (My surprise of the League with the excitement around the new brand. I had put the former Yotes as a playoff team last year and it seems that Armstrong waited to move to Utah to finally decide to make significant moves. Sergachev and Cole will solidify the D while Stenlund is a great depth addition)

4. Nashville (Huge improvement on the paper with their blockbuster acquisitions, still need to see if it will mesh well together)

5. Winnipeg (A big step back. Losing Monahan and Toffoli is huge. Brossoit as well because Hellebuyck will have a massive, if not too much workload)

6. Minnesota (no significant moves, my guess is that the Wild will be around the same spot)

7. Chicago (The rebuildling is still processing but they are trending in the right direction. Not enough to make a big splash though)

I see you are a fan of Dallas, so I am curious why you don't see Heiskanen as a true top 4? 

17 minutes ago, The NHL Rewind said:

I see you are a fan of Dallas, so I am curious why you don't see Heiskanen as a true top 4? 

I'm pretty sure he thinks he is a #1 what i think he will say (and i know i am guessing here) is that Lyubushkin is a top 4 D man and i agree.

He best suited on the bottom pair which they may even try but putting Dumba in the top 4 would be a mistake too.

11 hours ago, The NHL Rewind said:

10 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I'm pretty sure he thinks he is a #1 what i think he will say (and i know i am guessing here) is that Lyubushkin is a top 4 D man and i agree.

He best suited on the bottom pair which they may even try but putting Dumba in the top 4 would be a mistake too.

That's right. As a Top-4 Dman, I was thinking of a guy who could have replaced Tanev who was a perfect fit last season. The Stars missed on Marr Roy and Walker and that sucks because I would've got them at their current contracts they signed with the Caps and the Canes. Dumba is the back-up plan to fill Tanev's spot but he's not the player he was 10 years ago and it's quite a gamble there even though it's just for two years. Same for Lyubushkin who's a more expensive replacement to Hakanpää for a longer term. 

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

On 7/16/2024 at 5:06 PM, OccamsRazor said:

It is time for this club to blow it up and rebuild...but i'm sure they won't they think they can retool and get back in it. Whatever.

Every player they could do that with has a NTC/NMC.

28 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

Every player they could do that with has a NTC/NMC.

Jeebus, they have seven guys over 30 with some form of NTC/NMC. Buchnevich is eight at 29. And then they have 26- and 25- year old who get their clauses next season.

That's nine guys in 25-26 over 27 with NTC/NMCs (Faska drops off after this season) for a team that was 9th in the Conference last year.

NHL GMs are poster children for bad decisions and Ryan Suter is the cherry on top of this crap sundae.

2 hours ago, radoran said:

Jeebus, they have seven guys over 30 with some form of NTC/NMC. Buchnevich is eight at 29. And then they have 26- and 25- year old who get their clauses next season.

That's nine guys in 25-26 over 27 with NTC/NMCs (Faska drops off after this season) for a team that was 9th in the Conference last year.

NHL GMs are poster children for bad decisions and Ryan Suter is the cherry on top of this crap sundae.

The really galling thing is that only two of those players (Parayko and Binnington) were part of the 2019 Cup-winning team, so it's not like they can even say that it was a rewarding them for contributions to the franchise.

On 7/17/2024 at 6:42 AM, Math said:

That's right. As a Top-4 Dman, I was thinking of a guy who could have replaced Tanev who was a perfect fit last season. The Stars missed on Marr Roy and Walker and that sucks because I would've got them at their current contracts they signed with the Caps and the Canes. Dumba is the back-up plan to fill Tanev's spot but he's not the player he was 10 years ago and it's quite a gamble there even though it's just for two years. Same for Lyubushkin who's a more expensive replacement to Hakanpää for a longer term. 

I don't think you would have been very happy with Sean Walker as a Chris Tanev replacement, because they only things they have in common is being a bit small and being right-handed.

Walker would be better:

-hits a bit more and is a better skater.

-will almost surely be healthier on a yearly basis.

Tanev would be better:

-blocks a lot more shots.

-can face much more difficult competition.

-can take much more difficult zone starts.

-even with the last two in mind, his teams always gets more goals than they give up with him on the ice.

-is a much better penalty killer.

Asking Walker to come in and be that tough minutes/though assignment guy would have been a mis-match, a lot like it will be with Matt Dumba.

8 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

The really galling thing is that only two of those players (Parayko and Binnington) were part of the 2019 Cup-winning team, so it's not like they can even say that it was a rewarding them for contributions to the franchise.

Schenn, too, I think.

Regardless, (as you know) rewarding people for what they did five years ago isn't a strong argument for building the future.

None of those guys are "face of the franchise" like Stamkos was in Tampa, for example.

I'm not at all sure what St. Louis is trying to accomplish down there...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, radoran said:

Schenn, too, I think.

Oh, that's right. Schenn as well.

5 minutes ago, radoran said:

Regardless, (as you know) rewarding people for what they did five years ago isn't a strong argument for building the future.

None of those guys are "face of the franchise" like Stamkos was in Tampa, for example.

I'm not at all sure what St. Louis is trying to accomplish down there...

Yeah, this CBA calls for GMs to be pretty much completely ruthless when it comes to rewarding players with long-term contracts or movement clauses. You have to identify your core, pay them and keep them around, and then be prepared to shed everybody who doesn't fit.

5 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

Yeah, this CBA calls for GMs to be pretty much completely ruthless when it comes to rewarding players with long-term contracts or movement clauses.

And yet, they hand them out like candy in a pinata.

Of course, when you make the wrong eight-year commitment(s), it's often your successor's successor's problem.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

I thought this was an interesting graphic from the Athletic...

image.png.a12ae11e8d6eb96bc5c55ed87a2e3c80.png

I can just picture those negotiations with the Sabres... "We can add a no-movement clause to that contract for your client" and the player responds with "Nah, I'm good, bro."

• Haha 4

13 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

I can just picture those negotiations with the Sabres... "We can add a no-movement clause to that contract for your client" and the player responds with "Nah, I'm good, bro."

"You sure, bro? We'll throw in a bonus for showing up on game night...whaddya say?" :ph34r: