Flyers are in Retool Mode, Not a Rebuild

1 minute ago, JR Ewing said:

Oh; ok. Where they were picked doesn't mean that the pick was correct, and Draisaitl is a good example. In a re-draft Draisaitl goes #1 in 2014, over Ekblad and Reinhart, but that's cool. I just wasn't sure what you were meaning there.

No not talking about that just stating it's why yall lost you didn't have Reinhart the Panthers did.

Yes i am sure you redraft he is not #3.

40 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

Well yes, this is my very point. These things can happen to any NHL team, but in this scenario, the team has stripped away all useful talent in an effort to get the pieces which are now injured..

But, that's the point @mojo1917 is making - they haven't stripped that away to get where they are. The valid question is whether or not they are any closer to actually being competitive.

There are many shades of gray between "strip it down to the studs" and "sign 33/34-year-olds to long term deals".

We're going to have the opportunity to see how San Jose and Chicago compare to Nashville over the next five years.

The flip side of Buffalo where over a decade you pick 8, 2, 2, 8, 8, 1, 7, 8, 1 and wind up just four of those guys on your roster at the end of the day is a very valid cautionary tale.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 2

31 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

they would have had their #1 and #2 overall to help guarantee the Cup but nope.

Nothing is a guarantee.

Buffalo had two #1 overall and two #2 overall in the past decade and they're still where they are. Granted, they traded the two #2s...

Again, bad management will overcome almost any talent.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

It's one thing to shred talent, but it's another to build it back up. Sure, you can stockpile draft picks, but those picks need to be the right players with the right mix of qualities and at the right positions. If you get any of that wrong, you wander in the wilderness.

Or you can NOT shred talent, NOT draft at the top, and still wander in the wilderness. 

Hey, is that a sasquatch?

2 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

a lot of people seem to feel that the only way to rebuild is to strip everything out of the roster and start up again and, having watched that approach up close for a decade, I'm not convinced that it's the best/only way to do build a winner.

I am the bandleader here since 2021 for going full rebuild.  I am saying we should trade Konecny and Laughton while they still have value, since they don’t fit into any conceivable timeline in which the Flyers could be good.

That trading these two players, one a marginal star and the other just marginal, could be considered stripping everything out of the roster is as much an indictment of this organization as anything.

@SCFlyguy@flyercanuck

Going for the total rebuild is a viable formula, and it will get high end talent. I think the Flyers should start with a total rebuild of the front office before they ever begin one on the ice. The problem is that they seem to think that they've done that already.

• Good Post 1

2 hours ago, radoran said:

But, that's the point @mojo1917 is making - they haven't stripped that away to get where they are. The valid question is whether or not they are any closer to actually being competitive.

Well yeah, I was agreeing with him. I don't want to hammer the Flyers for not wanting to completely blow it up.

There are many shades of gray between "strip it down to the studs" and "sign 33/34-year-olds to long term deals".

We're going to have the opportunity to see how San Jose and Chicago compare to Nashville over the next five years.

The flip side of Buffalo where over a decade you pick 8, 2, 2, 8, 8, 1, 7, 8, 1 and wind up just four of those guys on your roster at the end of the day is a very valid cautionary tale.

As ever, time will tell. It will work for some team and it won't work for others.

Edited by JR Ewing
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, JR Ewing said:

Well yeah, I was agreeing with him. I don't want to hammer the Flyers for not wanting to completely blow it up.

As ever, time will tell. It will work for some team and it won't work for others.

Lets face it, without good management there is no way of building a winner. Right now all Philly has is a big ? there. So far Briere and co. have made a good trade or two, made a great, albeit no brainer draft pick, and a bunch of picks we won't know whether they end up good or not for years. And with the way upper management rolls, by the time we know if he's any good we may well already be onto the next ex-Flyer GM.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

I drove the bus for the band for the last decade. If not longer. 😆

I've been on this bus, it has a 72 foot plasma TV and a fridge full of haddock.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

Lets face it, without good management there is no way of building a winner. Right now all Philly has is a big ? there. So far Briere and co. have made a good trade or two, made a great, albeit no brainer draft pick, and a bunch of picks we won't know whether they end up good or not for years. And with the way upper management rolls, by the time we know if he's any good we may well already be onto the next ex-Flyer GM.

The trades have been fine. I would like to see them pick in the top 2, and totally bottom out next season. The draft is supposed to be quite good next season.  It would be nice to see them get a potential superstar caliber player, to play alongside Michkov. I want to see what Briere can do with another year under his belt, and maybe just maybe 🙏 I won't have the awful notion that Holmgren, Clarke or any other Flyer alumni from that era will interfere, with their rusty Cup rings in his face.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lindbergh31 said:

What sucks is the Flyers had a homegrown goalie since Lindbergh to build around (Hart) and he decides to do something really stupid that basically ****ed his NHL career and the Flyers are back to square one. I was hoping Briere was going to trade Konecny and Laughton at the draft but that didn't happen. It's disheartening that this organization is truly afraid of tearing it down to the studs and rebuilding. They rather rinse, recycle and repeat the same process. Being a fan since 1972, I highly doubt I'll see another Stanley Cup win before I die but I guess the only saving grace is it could be worse, I could have cheered for the Toronto Maple Leafs instead. Well Briere has 3 first round picks for the 2025 draft, hopefully the Flyers **** the bed this coming season and get a top 5 pick.

If you read their Facebook fans, they're all perfectly good with the approach, because THIS 100th time makes perfect sense! It's THIS base they know they have conned and know are too stupid to see the direct line repetition of the last 99.

Seriously, i don't know how 90% of them know how to log back on without electrocuting themselves on their toaster.

I think most of them are from Tuscon or somewhere else stupid.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

If you read their Facebook fans, they're all perfectly good with the approach, because THIS 100th time makes perfect sense! It's THIS base they know they have conned and know are too stupid to see the direct line repetition of the last 99.

Seriously, i don't know how 90% of them know how to log back on without electrocuting themselves on their toaster.

I think most of them are from Tuscon or somewhere else stupid.

I think a lot of those so-called Facebook fans, are fake, like AI-generated bots or something. No one that's a fan with any interest in them winning a Cup anytime soon, should be happy with this middling crap, they try to pull. 

Edited by FD19372

5 hours ago, radoran said:

Nothing is a guarantee.

Buffalo had two #1 overall and two #2 overall in the past decade and they're still where they are. Granted, they traded the two #2s...

Again, bad management will overcome almost any talent.

yeah and some other those guys moved on and have a cup to show for it too

but yeah bro let my Flyers get those and we'll talk in the end...been hoping and praying they would see it too...great example of what Nashville did too a great measuring stick.

at this point we're all just here for the ride...will they ever lay with Lady Luck or will it be...

Thanks For The Ride Lady"" Poster for Sale by diewrekt ...

:beer:

IYKYK

hasn't worked for Edmonton, yet...

:hocky:

yet...that is why i said they didn't have the #2 needed that draft he was on the Panthers and they took Draisaitl at #3

it was all tongue in cheek...

there is no guarantee except taxes and death 

hasn't worked for Edmonton, yet...

:hocky:

Imagine how livid us fans would have been when you look back at all the #1 OAs thry had and squandered.

Since 2010 draft they have had

4 #1 OAs

1 #3 OAs

1 #4 OAs

zero Cups

Philly would have been burnt to the ground

6 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

4 #1 OAs

1 #3 OAs

1 #4 OAs

zero Cups

They have the legit, hands down, best player in the world and were 60 minutes from winning a Cup. They were in the Conference Final two years ago.

Philadelphia has one playoff round win across that same time period.

Philly would be fine. It's something of a miracle the Big Bank Building is still standing under the circumstances... :5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Imagine how livid us fans would have been when you look back at all the #1 OAs thry had and squandered.

4 #1 OAs

1 #3 OAs

1 #4 OAs

zero Cups

Philly has had practice with the Sixers for quite awhile now. 😩

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

4 #1 OAs

1 #3 OAs

1 #4 OAs

zero Cups

Ya, there's a huge difference between getting a Yakupov or a Nugent Hopkins (not that he's anywhere near as bad) and a McDavid. Just like picking 2nd and getting JVR or Patrick, as opposed to Doughty or Malkin. If you're going to tank, do it for great drafts (cough Gavin McKenna cough)

2 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Ya, there's a huge difference between getting a Yakupov or a Nugent Hopkins (not that he's anywhere near as bad) and a McDavid. Just like picking 2nd and getting JVR or Patrick, as opposed to Doughty or Malkin. If you're going to tank, do it for great drafts (cough Gavin McKenna cough)

Yeah. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins is a very good hockey player. Connor McDavid is the best hockey player I've ever seen, and even if somebody thinks that stance is crazy, he's still a Mount Rushmore-type player.

• Like 2