Flyers are in Retool Mode, Not a Rebuild

9 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I'm not going to join in the hoping for loses and deliberately putting an inferior production on professional ice.

We'll just have to be satisfied with the inferior product we're watching.

:hocky:

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, radoran said:

We'll just have to be satisfied with the inferior product we're watching.

It's 100% up to you how you enjoy and/or critique the team.

Last season was fun, for the first time since 2019/20

I'll stop watching if I'm not entertained.

This conversation isn't that fun though.

1: We should lose!

2: No that sucks!

1: Everyone who wins has top 5 players top 5 players are gathered by losing!

2: Sure, lots of teams have top 5 players and haven't won anything

repeat ad nauseum.

I'm kind of over it.

I don't think I'll be checking these rebuild/retool threads out anymore. They give me heartburn.

Like I said I like everyone here well enough to just leave this discussion alone.

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

@jammer2 @flyercanuck @radoran

Not arguing top 5 picks, as established I can read.

I don't like the idea of losing on purpose.

All of you all can enjoy the sport however you like.

I'm not going to join in the hoping for loses and deliberately putting an inferior production on professional ice.

You do you. 

So, just to be clear, you're  ok with a miniscule shot at the Cup, as long as the best possible team is put on the Ice?

Edited by jammer2

2 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

every single time have 1st and 2nd overalls on them.

yep the last so years the only exception is the Blues but they had the #3 OA #4 OA #5 OA on the team.

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

yep the last so years the only exception is the Blues but they had the #3 OA #4 OA #5 OA on the team.

And had dealt the #1OA they picked.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

So, just to be clear, you're  ok with a miniscule shot at the Cup, as long as the best possible team is put on the Ice?

I'd like to see the Flyers be one of the 6 to 8 teams that could win a championship.

Will they?

If they get some breaks, maybe.

Or they might wind up like Carolina and come up just short. 

I would be satisfied with that level of talent and consistency.

If the team gets built to where they're consistently in the final 2/4/8 I'd be alright with that.

Even if they're not skating the cup, there's the possibility they could.

Right now that level seems a million miles away - losing more doesn't guarantee to make the distance shorter.

so, I guess I need to answer yes.

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

I'd like to see the Flyers be one of the 6 to 8 teams that could win a championship.

Will they?

If they get some breaks, maybe.

Or they might wind up like Carolina and come up just short. 

I would be satisfied with that level of talent and consistency.

If the team gets built to where they're consistently in the final 2/4/8 I'd be alright with that.

Even if they're not skating the cup, there's the possibility they could.

Right now that level seems a million miles away - losing more doesn't guarantee to make the distance shorter.

so, I guess I need to answer yes.

I respect that. I want sustained greatness. The Flyers considered a top 5 team year after year. Like Colorado before their Goalies turned to crap. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

I respect that. I want sustained greatness. The Flyers considered a top 5 team year after year. Like Colorado before their Goalies turned to crap. 

one big problem as I see it, the Flyers have never really adjusted to the salary cap, it's killing them not being able to spend like drunken sailors in free agency with little consequence. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Cheesesteak said:

one big problem as I see it, the Flyers have never really adjusted to the salary cap, it's killing them not being able to spend like drunken sailors in free agency with little consequence. 

They couldn't handle it when you could spend unlimited...lol. Throw in a boatload of Dufus snot eaters like Fletcher, Homer etc...AND a cap...lol...no hope. Hexy was smarter than those two, but scared to death of making a mistake. He took conservative to another level. 

I cringe at the thought of Danny having cap space and rolling in some middling reinforcements. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cheesesteak said:

I'm just going to say, right now the Flyers cap is fukcacta because they have used it to get what they want in trades.

Walker alone wasn't going to bring a 1st pick but taking a year of Johansson's contract too, did.

The cap will be significantly better next season and the season after that. Then they can try to lure a free agent or two.

This is the/a "trough".

For that to work, it helps if the team isn't terrible. 

• Like 1

Judging by the way the draft went, the "retool" may be simply that the Flyers replaced Chuck Fletcher, with Daniel Briere. One tool replacing the next. I hope I'm wrong.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

OK Flyer fans. Some good news on the rebuild/retool front. As you know, Flyers own Colorado's 2025 1st rd pick. I just checked on Puckpedia.

Aves are 1.4 mill over the cap....it gets better. They have 11 forwards signed, 5 Dmen..so they have to fill 3-4 players to sign. Even at vet minimum, that puts them 5+ mill over. You can go over by 10% in the off season...but I wanna see how Sakic climbs out of this hole, especially since the rest of the league knows he's in cap hell...lmao!

Oh...and their Goalie Georgiev has sucked of late!! 

Doubt the top 10 protected comes in play....but Flyers pick looking better...maybe 22-17ish?? If all goes our way!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I almost feel like offering an apology to the board for posting this thread.   The discord was unintended, but we needed some summer content other than draft/trade discussion, so forgive my trespass.

My backyard Panthers offer some important clues on team development.  Many of the pundits note that Ekblad and Barkov were drafted ages ago under Tallon.  Bennett and Forsling were relative steals and blossomed with change of scenery.  That tells me that drafting is an uncertain artform that may have a long gestation.  It also says that a "good" GM can make a big difference.  Hextall may not have done much to help the franchise, but he didn't hurt it the way Fletcher did.  So far, I'd say that DB and Flahr have done a good job, if only because they have avoided boneheaded deals and have given us a workable pool of prospects, particularly in the first two rounds.  

Tony Voce's passing reminded me of something I posted here years ago.  I always thought/hoped that the Calder Cup cohort would be a group for us to build on as a franchise.  We know that wasn't the case.  Putting a Cup win aside, I'd be happy with a cadre of players that gets us into the top eight or ten teams for a 3-5 year window.  Whether or not we take the Cup (which I probably won't live to see), I want to see a strong team.  And yes, I want to see a team that can move out of the cellar in OT and SO losses.  From my vantage, that stat indicates just how poor a job we've done in developing the team since the 2004-05 stoppage.  I am hoping--maybe against hope--that Briere and Flahr can deliver consistent above-average to elite (top 5-8) performance in a league with enormous parity and hard salary cap.  

Edited by Howie58
  • Like 1
  • Good Post 3

23 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

I almost feel like offering an apology to the board for posting this thread.   The discord was unintended, but we needed some summer content other than draft/trade discussion, so forgive my trespass.

My backyard Panthers offer some important clues on team development.  Many of the pundits note that Ekblad and Barkov were drafted ages ago under Tallon.  Bennett and Forsling were relative steals and blossomed with change of scenery.  That tells me that drafting is an uncertain artform that may have a long gestation.  It also says that a "good" GM can make a big difference.  Hextall may not have done much to help the franchise, but he didn't hurt it the way Fletcher did.  So far, I'd say that DB and Flahr have done a good job, if only because they have avoided boneheaded deals and have given us a workable pool of prospects, particularly in the first two rounds.  

Tony Voce's passing reminded me of something I posted here years ago.  I always thought/hoped that the Calder Cup cohort would be a group for us to build on as a franchise.  We know that wasn't the case.  Putting a Cup win aside, I'd be happy with a cadre of players that gets us into the top eight or ten teams for a 3-5 year window.  If we take the Cup (which I probably won't live to see), I want to see a strong team.  And yes, I want to see a team that can move out of the cellar in OT and SO losses.  From my vantage, that stat indicates just how poor a job we've done in developing the team since the 2004-05 stoppage.  I am hoping--maybe against hope--that Briere and Flahr can deliver consistent above-average to elite (top 5-8) performance in a league with enormous parity and hard salary cap.  

RIP TONY VOCE!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, jammer2 said:

I cringe at the thought of Danny having cap space and rolling in some middling reinforcements

Have you seen the Flyers organizational depth chart?

The middling reinforcements are already in house.

I think he and Jonesy are going big name hunting when the cap space becomes available.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, jammer2 said:

I cringe at the thought of Danny having cap space and rolling in some middling reinforcements

I think he and Jonesy are going big name hunting when the cap space becomes available.

Aren't these actually the same thing lol?

Twelve, third line or in the case of the forwards, fourth line NHLers are going to be on this squad. TK, Michkov and Tippett are the only exceptions I see, right now. This doesn't sound like a playoff team. I'll believe they'll use that cap space the way Briere and Co. should, when they actually do. You combine middling organizational effort, with middling organizational planning and put middling organizational talent out on the ice (that mostly hasn't really developed)..you're usually going to get a middling at best, ceiling.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

Twelve, third line or in the case of the forwards, fourth line NHLers are going to be on this squad. TK, Michkov and Tippett are the only exceptions I see, right now. This doesn't sound like a playoff team. I'll believe they'll use that cap space the way Briere and Co. should, when they actually do. You combine middling organizational effort, with middling organizational planning and put middling organizational talent out on the ice (that mostly hasn't really developed)..you're usually going to get a middling at best, ceiling.

Stevie Y has not been perfect...but 5 yrs in...finally gonna make a playoff push. Signed a few Goalies...Kane, Tarasenko...few others and STILL has decent prospects AND 20 mill in cap space. 

On 7/8/2024 at 3:05 AM, flyercanuck said:

No plan, just hang on to guys that "play the right way' even though that never gets you anywhere

Well if your Scott Laughton, it’s gets you endless love and perhaps a promotion to Captain

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Well if your Scott Laughton, it’s gets you endless love and perhaps a promotion to Captain

Especially after Laughton over the top photo shoot with Gritty on X the other day he secured a spot in the front office when he retires.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, radoran said:

Special Assistant to Cam Atkinson  Jake Voracek.

FIFY. Cam may not have kissed enough hairs on the posteriors, of Flyer front office alumni, yet.

Edited by FD19372
  • Haha 1