Oilers trade Ryan McLeod to BUF for Matthew Savoie

Kevyn Adams must be under all sorts of pressure to make the playoffs this year. Ryan McLeod has terrific wheels and really good defensive metrics, but he's also a complete perimeter player who steadfastly refuses to engage physically at all. Scott Wheeler rated the Sabres as having the best prospect pool in the NHL, and Savoie was #2 on that list, so the price to get McLeod was steep.

The Oilers prospect pool is really light, after pushing in their chips to challenge for the Cup, so this helps in that regard. Savoie crushed it in 2024:

image.png

Jeff Jackson says that he doesn't want to be GM, but his moves have been great so far.

Oh, and: Savoie is from Edmonton, so the odds of an "I want to be dealt to Florida" sort of demand is significantly reduced... A consideration for Canadian teams.

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

30 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Why does Buffalo do this? 

@flyercanuck ...  could you imagine Savoie passing off to Michkov .....  

Savoie has the makings of being a legit #1 Center .... granted during his draft year he was 180 / 5'9" ...I'm sure he has grown some during the past 2 years. ......

sigh .......

https://thehockeywriters.com/matthew-savoie-2022-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/ 

Edited by pilldoc

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

@flyercanuck ...  could you imagine Savoie passing off to Michkov .....  

Savoie has the makings of being a legit #1 Center .... granted during his draft year he was 180 / 5'9" ...I'm sure he has grown some during the past 2 years. ......

sigh .......

https://thehockeywriters.com/matthew-savoie-2022-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/ 

Then trade all the things to Buffalo while they're being stupid

Edited by ruxpin
  • Like 1
  • Good Post 1

To defend Adams...

-I'm sure he's under tremendous pressure to make the playoffs this year.

-McLeod does address need: a responsible defensive centre.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JR Ewing said:

To defend Adams...

-I'm sure he's under tremendous pressure to make the playoffs this year.

To defend Rick, the lumina does have all four tires.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, JR Ewing said:

(not directed at you JR)  ... hello .Coots could have filled that void.   Just saying ......

2 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Then trade all the things to Buffalo while they're being stupid

Exactly .....  as JR just mentioned ...Buffalo wants a defensively responsible Center....... may I introduce you to one Couturier, Sean.

I would drive Sean to Buffalo myself ......

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

(not directed at you JR)  ... hello .Coots could have filled that void.   Just saying ......

Well, yeah, but McLeod is like 8 years younger and 6 million a season cheaper

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

McLeod isn't a disaster for Buffalo. He's a good, young, price controlled player and may fit the third line role a little better, but still a "wow, what kind of gun was Jeff Jackson holding at the time?" kind of trade.

Edited by ruxpin
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

True .... but if Buffalo wants to be stupid ...... then let them be stupid with Coots

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

True .... but if Buffalo wants to be stupid ...... then let them be stupid with Coots

True, kind of like, "let them prove how truly stupid they are and tell them they should move to Tucson."

🄸🅃'🅂 🄸🄽 🅃🄷🄴 🄽🄰🄼🄴

Edited by ruxpin
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

One of the fastest skaters in the NHL and a very strong penalty killer. The Sabres should like the player and the needs he addresses, but they definitely paid a steep price.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

One of the fastest skaters in the NHL and a very strong penalty killer. The Sabres should like the player and the needs he addresses, but they definitely paid a steep price.

Oilers also have his older brother on their AHL club as well. He played on a line with Bobby Brink.

I remember Brink, Rizzo and Carter Savoie were a handful.

Take him off your hands for a draft pick...not being mean but i thought that the Smurf line fit for a name not sure if they had a name.

Rizzo 5-9

Brink 5-8

Savoie 5-9

like jitter bugs they could cycle it very well from the only 2 games i ever watched of them...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Oilers also have his older brother on their AHL club as well. He played on a line with Bobby Brink.

They didn't qualify him last week, though they could possibly sign him and try to keep them together.

11 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I remember Brink, Rizzo and Carter Savoie were a handful.

Take him off your hands for a draft pick...not being mean but i thought that the Smurf line fit for a name not sure if they had a name.

Rizzo 5-9

Brink 5-8

Savoie 5-9

like jitter bugs they could cycle it very well from the only 2 games i ever watched of them...

• Like 1

Seriously, though.

Buffalo wants a defensive center. 

Philly wanted a rebuild and needs a top 6 center prospect.  The salaries are similar. 

What in the hell is Philly doing? Can someone call Danny Jones and make sure they're okay? 

Their safe word is "unqualified."

• Like 2

“This is a four quarter win for the Oilers. First corner is they get a highly skilled player. Then you get a player on an entry level contract for three years. Third corner you get salary cap relief and fourth being able to take advantage of a situation where the opposing team had a surplus of the same player (smaller, skilled players). I view it as a win for Edmonton.

“I’ve watched McLeod since he was 15. He has never been a big point producer. He is what he is, a solid NHLer,”

@CraigJButton

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

though they could possibly sign him and try to keep them together.

You'd think they won it all together not often you get to easily and cheaply assemble a line like that.

Not sure it would work in the NHL it wouldn't be a costly experiment Rizzo 925k Brink 1.15 m Savoie 1.2 mi??

i'd try it

whole line 3.2 mill

4 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

“This is a four quarter win for the Oilers. First corner is they get a highly skilled player. Then you get a player on an entry level contract for three years. Third corner you get salary cap relief and fourth being able to take advantage of a situation where the opposing team had a surplus of the same player (smaller, skilled players). I view it as a win for Edmonton.

“I’ve watched McLeod since he was 15. He has never been a big point producer. He is what he is, a solid NHLer,”

@CraigJButton

guess when you can't find that player you have to pay for that player

2 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Seriously, though.

Buffalo wants a defensive center. 

Philly wanted a rebuild and needs a top 6 center prospect.  The salaries are similar. 

What in the hell is Philly doing? Can someone call Danny Jones and make sure they're okay? 

Their safe word is "unqualified."

Damn. I skipped a line when typing (apparently made up for it with another kind of line).

My thought was Laughton. He's at $3M and, I think, 2 years term left.  Without looking, again, I think Savoie is $2.2M with RFA next summer.  Just seems like there should have been the basis for something there. 

(Btw, I'm not doing lines. We're exhausted here. My 20 month old, 105 lb --47.6 kg -- Bernese Mountain dog had surgery for a torn CCL on Wednesday. We're getting a work out, round the clock)

39 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

My thought was Laughton. He's at $3M and, I think, 2 years term left.  Without looking, again, I think Savoie is $2.2M with RFA next summer.  Just seems like there should have been the basis for something there. 

McLeod?

5 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

McLeod?

Yeah those are McLeod's numbers i wrote, but I was trying to make a case the Flyers should have at least been in on Savoie.

Nevermind. Lol   I'm sleep deprived. I'm going to bed.   

(I still think Flyers should have at least kicked tires with Laughton, but even if they did we'd never know.   It may have been a little more work because the numbers don't work quite as nicely)

• Like 1