Remainder of Flyers 2024 Draft Discussion

45 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Let the college kids sign a contract with their drafting club but let it slide like they do when a European kid comes over and he is 18 or 19 the entry level contract doesn't kick in an actually count till the year the are playing in the AHL and they turn 20 by the end of that same physical year

I think the signing -- not the playing -- kills their eligibility.   So, even if it signs, if there's a signed professional contract, it renders the kid unable to play.   I'm emphasizing "think" because I'm not entirely sure, but I really do think this is the case.

I'm not sure what this would look like, but I think they need to go the NFL route:   When you declare you're eligible for the draft, if you're drafted your college days are over.   For the NHL, be prepared to go play in juniors somewhere or don't declare yourself eligible.    This will lessen the risk of "do we draft him and wait 4 years and run the risk of him wanting to live near Disneyland so he can visit his brother Dopey?"

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Because he had the same agent as Gauthier and they were scared of the kid pulling the same thing but to me the talent was worth the risk.

I have a feeling that the Flyers weren't the only ones who passed on him for this exact reason.  It explains the fall from 4-6 to 12 to me.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

I also found it funny that no one really beat up the Ducks for taking Senekae at 3. That was a super-mega reach. Now I'm certainly not hanging out on that forum and this one because I don't hate myself. But, that pick?

On here? Or in general?

I haven't seen much about Senekae here, but if it was mentioned it probably didn't get the legs because there's not many here (if any) that are emotionally invested in the Ducks.

I thought, like most, it was a reach.  I wonder if they shopped the pick and weren't getting what they wanted.  I wonder why they didn't see the Columbus v. Flyers trade rumor, propose something a little better on the Flyers side, and trade back.   Or to NJ or whomever in that range.

The way the board fell and everyone went forward crazy, if they really wanted this kid they may have been better off just drafting him.   I think he'll be good, but I don't think he's a 3 overall.   His reaction, howver, was definitely top five.

Several "winners/losers" articles called the Ducks losers for the first round based on the reach.   I think they have enough young kids that maybe they could afford to, but I think it was a bad move not drafting one of the D there.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

On here? Or in general?

Everywhere!

No one really beat up the Iginla pick either, he went earlier than nearly every projection.

I just think it's comical that we know nothings, are so eager to blast the know somethings for listening to the experts they trust. 

None of us outside of @jammer2, @BobbyClarkeFan16, @Podein25 and @flyercanuck are watching these major junior kids in a manner that makes us qualified to know who is and isn't going to be a good pro. 

We're reading someone else's meta-analysis and making a determination based on that. It's better than doing our own COVID research, but only barely.

The Flyers have been high on Luchenko since before this draft year apparently. Who am I to **** on that research, effort and ultimately draft pick? see also Sennakae and Iginla et. al.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I just think it's comical that we know nothings, are so eager to blast the know somethings for listening to the experts they trust. 

Lol, this is well stated. But to be clear, I'm definitely and definitively in the know nothing category. 

• Haha 2

It is weird that posters on a Flyers forum are focused on what the Flyers are doing rather than teams in the Other Conference. 🤔

Flyers fans and the Ducks

image.gif

:hocky:

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

I also found it funny that no one really beat up the Ducks for taking Senekae at 3. That was a super-mega reach. Now I'm certainly not hanging out on that forum and this one because I don't hate myself. But, that pick?

He (along with Luchanko) were certainly rising up the charts. Pretty sure if Philly took Senneke 3rd you'd have heard it on here, and I think the pick definitely raised some eyebrows on draft day. Pretty sure Columbus and Montreal cracked open some champagne.  But ya, if he was their guy, they should have traded back a few spots. hard to believe he wouldn't be there at 6,7,8...

Edited by flyercanuck
  • Like 2

On 7/1/2024 at 9:14 AM, ruxpin said:

This is completely where I am.   I truly hope he does well.   But I hate the Flyers draft.   Other than Luch, they shouldn't have bothered showing up.  And even with his pick I believe they could have done so much better.

I do think it's the pitfalls of a novice GM and sports commentator running a team.   I think Briere still will get there.

I know I tend to go a little cynical at times, but that being said, I really think it's a worse situation than that. Holmgren and Clarke are still hanging around, and pulling the strings, with Clarke shining his two Stanley Cup rings in the eyes of Briere and Jones. The draft was an embarrassing and terrible look, though, IMO. They looked unprepared.

#ObeyYourMaster

3 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I think the signing -- not the playing -- kills their eligibility.   So, even if it signs, if there's a signed professional contract, it renders the kid unable to play.

Yes you're right that is why they could work with the NCAA to put something in place so this would be allowed as long as they never receive payment or play an actual game.

Not saying it would be easy but it should be done to keep the playing field fair for all.

There should be a loophole for kids to exploit.

On 7/10/2024 at 12:16 PM, mojo1917 said:

Well, they're a bunch of Idiots!! 😏

• Haha 1

On 7/10/2024 at 5:06 AM, flyercanuck said:

If only there was a way of making it a destination players wanted to go to....instead of one of the jokes of the league.

Maybe keep hiring and building the same way they always have will do it? :dunce:

I think a lot of it is the organizational culture...how does the organization treat its players? regardless of W-L. There are teams, I'm sure where players are viewed simply as commodities, then there are teams where players refer to the organization as a "family"...

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, flyerdog said:

I think a lot of it is the organizational culture...how does the organization treat its players? regardless of W-L. There are teams, I'm sure where players are viewed simply as commodities, then there are teams where players refer to the organization as a "family"...

These are the areas where a team that is wealthy and smart enough to use the money can spend far beyond what is covered in the salary cap. You're traded to or signed by Edmonton? They take care of all of your moving expenses, planning, arranged child care, etc, etc etc. The players wanted to throw a Super Bowl party this year, so the owner laid out $100,000 for them to have fun.

Players talk. When Viktor Arvidsson signed with the Oilers, he mentioned that he was really swayed by Mattias Ekholm raving about how management treats the players and provides them with anything they need. Adam Henrique turned down more money to re-sign, and one of the things he mentioned was that the team makes it easy to concentrate on just being a player.

This is all a welcome change from previous management, who refused to allow Sheldon Souray to see the doctor of his choice for surgery, which almost resulted in his death. When Souray was asked by a reporter how things were going with the team, he said he wasn't sure, because the club hadn't even talked to him in a few months, so they accused him of being a cancer and threw him off the team.

5 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

These are the areas where a team that is wealthy and smart enough to use the money can spend far beyond what is covered in the salary cap. You're traded to or signed by Edmonton? They take care of all of your moving expenses, planning, arranged child care, etc, etc etc. The players wanted to throw a Super Bowl party this year, so the owner laid out $100,000 for them to have fun.

Players talk. When Viktor Arvidsson signed with the Oilers, he mentioned that he was really swayed by Mattias Ekholm raving about how management treats the players and provides them with anything they need. Adam Henrique turned down more money to re-sign, and one of the things he mentioned was that the team makes it easy to concentrate on just being a player.

This is all a welcome change from previous management, who refused to allow Sheldon Souray to see the doctor of his choice for surgery, which almost resulted in his death. When Souray was asked by a reporter how things were going with the team, he said he wasn't sure, because the club hadn't even talked to him in a few months, so they accused him of being a cancer and threw him off the team.

Yep, as much as he annoys me, Jerry Jones of the Cowboys is one of those guys...he rode in the Ambulance with Michael Irvin to the hospital when he had his neck injury at the Vet...and another time a player had a sudden family illness and Jerry flew the player to visit family in his private Jet....

Briere and Jonesy should try and establish this sort of culture, because you are correct, players WILL forgo extra money for peace of mind...doesn't matter how much you make, or what profession you are in, if you hate the environment you have to work in, you WILL find a way to leave...

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

1 hour ago, flyerdog said:

Yep, as much as he annoys me, Jerry Jones of the Cowboys is one of those guys...he rode in the Ambulance with Michael Irvin to the hospital when he had his neck injury at the Vet...and another time a player had a sudden family illness and Jerry flew the player to visit family in his private Jet....

Briere and Jonesy should try and establish this sort of culture, because you are correct, players WILL forgo extra money for peace of mind...doesn't matter how much you make, or what profession you are in, if you hate the environment you have to work in, you WILL find a way to leave...

What are you talking about...we have Tortsie benching players when they're in their hometown in front of family. If that doesn't draw them in like moths to a light I don't know what will! 🤨

• Uggh... 1

3 hours ago, flyerdog said:

the Flyers DO have all you can eat popcorn :pyramiddance:

:PopcornSmiley2:                 :PopcornSmiley2:                :PopcornSmiley2:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Cheesesteak said:

the Flyers DO have all you can eat popcorn :pyramiddance:

:PopcornSmiley2:                 :PopcornSmiley2:                :PopcornSmiley2:

And slogans...teams fear our slogans.

I think they put more effort into those than building an actual team.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

And slogans...teams fear our slogans.

I think they put more effort into those than building an actual team.

Haha, right!  I'm still waiting for that Vengeance they seemed so keen on dishing out a few years back 🙄