Remainder of Flyers 2024 Draft Discussion

4 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

The Flyers trade the 32nd pick to Edmonton, for 1st rounder in 2025 or 2026. 

Really reads like the guys the Flyers rated 1st picks were gone and the guys they do like are still on the board.  

I wonder what the conditions for the pick are?

3 firsts in 2025 feels good to me.

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

The Flyers trade the 32nd pick to Edmonton, for 1st rounder in 2025 or 2026. 

They could have six picks between rounds 1 and 2 next year (Columbus hasn't made a decision about the 2nd this year). Add this to nearly $35 million in cap space and they're going the Chicago Blackhawks route of rebuild. 

• Like 1

Tonight just locks down 3 or 4 more years just like the past 14 years. We will see the same less than mediocre lineup in October that we saw limp to the finish line in April. The dysfunction in Flyer junction will never change, with Matvei or without. I am sure Jett Luchanko is a great player, so great that 12 other teams picked someone else. They already have 4 third and 4th line centers. They will apparently never figure out that 1st line centers are found in the top 5 of the draft, not the middle of the round.

11 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

They could have six picks between rounds 1 and 2 next year (Columbus hasn't made a decision about the 2nd this year). Add this to nearly $35 million in cap space and they're going the Chicago Blackhawks route of rebuild. 

If those picks start at the 12 to 14 range they could have 10 picks. Nothing will change. The Colorado pick will be 28. The Edmonton pick will be 29. The facts say those picks may never play in the NHL. And all the cap space in the world isn't going to change the fact that the coach is a caveman that nobody wants to play for. Flyercanuck is correct. Flyer management seem to think they are smarter than the rest of the league. Very frustrating week leading up to tonight. I really thought Danny Jones was going to bring change. So far its the same old same old.

1 minute ago, flyer4ever said:

Tonight just locks down 3 or 4 more years just like the past 14 years. We will see the same less than mediocre lineup in October that we saw limp to the finish line in April. The dysfunction in Flyer junction will never change, with Matvei or without. I am sure Jett Luchanko is a great player, so great that 12 other teams picked someone else. They already have 4 third and 4th line centers. They will apparently never figure out that 1st line centers are found in the top 5 of the draft, not the middle of the round.

If those picks start at the 12 to 14 range they could have 10 picks. Nothing will change. The Colorado pick will be 28. The Edmonton pick will be 29. The facts say those picks may never play in the NHL. And all the cap space in the world isn't going to change the fact that the coach is a caveman that nobody wants to play for. Flyercanuck is correct. Flyer management seem to think they are smarter than the rest of the league. Very frustrating week leading up to tonight. I really thought Danny Jones was going to bring change. So far its the same old same old.

I told you all, that the Old Guard was still hanging on to this team. Some didn't believe me. Tonight was a complete mess, and a totally unacceptable fumble. They always have thought they were smarter than the rest of the league and their arrogance gets the better of them, every time. The Luchanko pick was dumb. They could've taken him at 32, and kept the pick. He might turn out to be the next Giroux, but you don't take him there. It gave me hope, when they picked Michkov last year, but I think they took a big step back tonight. They keep kicking the can down the road. They hired a coach that did a great job this season, but it isn't close to a good enough mix of players. As much as I like Briere and Jones, they are both inexperienced, and maybe tonight showed Briere's. Time will tell. BTW, it's Keith Jones, but I completely agree that nothing has changed, and it probably won't anytime soon.

#MasterOfPuppets

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

Really reads like the guys the Flyers rated 1st picks were gone and the guys they do like are still on the board.  

I wonder what the conditions for the pick are?

3 firsts in 2025 feels good to me.

The 2025 pick is top 12 protected. Pretty likely we get it. Deeper draft, worst that can happen is we pick at the same spot. This is a no brainer move, right?

But we do move another year down the road, so another asset should have been coming our way. I swear this is ingrained in Flyer management...always make the deal better for the other team. 

So, going into this draft, with picks 12 and 32, everyone raise their hand who would have been happy to hear we'd walk out of round one with...Jett Luchanko! 😆

And teams we should be looking at on how their rebuild is going?

SJ walks away with Celebrini AND Dickinson

Chicago with Levshunov and Boisvert and Vanacker

Montreal Demidov and Hage

Utah Iginla and Beaudouin

Anyone else feel their GMs are playing chess and ours are playing checkers?

Edited by flyercanuck

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

I wonder if Briere may have been gunshy to go the NCAA route again with the top pick after the Quitter Gauthier experience. 

I was wondering the same.  Not necessarily the NCAA connection, but the Team USA connection.  Quitter and Zeev were teammates this past World Junior. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

The 2025 pick is top 12 protected. Pretty likely we get it. Deeper draft, worst that can happen is we pick at the same spot. This is a no brainer move, right?

But we do move another year down the road, so another asset should have been coming our way. I swear this is ingrained in Flyer management...always make the deal better for the other team. 

So, going into this draft, with picks 12 and 32, everyone raise their hand who would have been happy to hear we'd walk out of round one with...Jett Luchanko! 😆

And teams we should be looking at on how their rebuild is going?

SJ walks away with Celebrini AND Dickinson

Chicago with Levshunov and Boisvert and Vanacker

Montreal Demidov and Hage

Utah Iginla and Beaudouin

Anyone else feel their GMs are playing chess and ours are playing checkers?

Anaheim with Senneke and Solberg

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, flyer4ever said:

Anaheim with Senneke and Solberg

Yes, and there are more. 

This is the issue I have with the Flyers 'rebuild'.  While we may have got one decent player in the first round, SJ went out and got a can't miss blue chip centre AND a likely #1 defenceman. In one draft. We havent done either in decades in all our drafts. 

But the Flyers management is way smarter than everyone else. They know the way. 

• Uggh... 1

35 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Yes, and there are more. 

This is the issue I have with the Flyers 'rebuild'.  While we may have got one decent player in the first round, SJ went out and got a can't miss blue chip centre AND a likely #1 defenceman. In one draft. We havent done either in decades in all our drafts. 

But the Flyers management is way smarter than everyone else. They know the way. 

I just watched Briere's presser after the draft last night. I give him a lot of credit. He said development camp and culture and kept a straight face the whole time.

The only thing I'm upset about is that moving 32 and with Columbus keeping the 2nd pick, the Flyers are probably going to miss out on a guy like Chernyashov, who would have been an awesome fit at left wing.

I'm also looking at next year's draft picks and more than likely six picks in the top 60, how many of those picks are going to be moved to acquire Zegras? Lol

26 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

The only thing I'm upset about is that moving 32 and with Columbus keeping the 2nd pick, the Flyers are probably going to miss out on a guy like Chernyashov, who would have been an awesome fit at left wing.

I'm also looking at next year's draft picks and more than likely six picks in the top 60, how many of those picks are going to be moved to acquire Zegras? Lol

Honestly, if they did that I'd probably just watch junior from then on. This team clearly doesn't care about winning a cup, or they're just completely delusional on what a championship team looks like. I could see them trading a boatload of picks for Zegras. 

2 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Honestly, if they did that I'd probably just watch junior from then on. This team clearly doesn't care about winning a cup, or they're just completely delusional on what a championship team looks like. I could see them trading a boatload of picks for Zegras. 

Zegras would disgust me to no end. I would right off this management group, watch from afar and wait 5 years till they got **** canned. So far, they have not anything dubious like this....so I hold out hope. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Agree. So they leave a top defenseman who they were lucky as hell to have drop to them on the table.  It's mind numbing.

Buiums fall was crazy. Some had him firmly ranked top 5, in front of some truly great prospects. Perhaps we find out if something created the fall. I find it odd that teams in the late teens early 20's wouldn't call with substantial offers there. There is something we don't know. 

11 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Agree. So they leave a top defenseman who they were lucky as hell to have drop to them on the table.  It's mind numbing.

There is no plan. There is no proactive, fresh thinking asset management. It's just reaction and bandaids. They acquired The Wild 3rd next year so they could pass on a legit #1 or #2 dman, and claimed it was a boost in draft capital, yet they gave away draft capital to acquire Eric Johnson, all whilst retaining all the under developed forwards that have stagnated in the dysfunctional, nepotistic system. They grossly over paid Kevin Hayes and Sean Couturier, yet they balked at a deal to draft at #4. You have to pay to play.

As for the "culture", having a neanderthal coach humiliate young men in front of their families is not culture, it's a red flag. Having a coach in the minors who hasn't "developed" anything is red flag #2. 

How many seasons have to go by before someone sees that this old boys club MO doesn't work. The level of arrogance, ignorance and stubborness is mind boggling. 

8 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Yeah, i laughed at the third. Because you just know at some point it's a throw in for a deal to trade for an $8M/yr 31 year old meh defenseman when we could have drafted better at #12 for at least 3 years of well-less money. 

I think jammer's theory may make some sense because I really thought Buium might be the better pick for San Jose and they, too, left him (I'm not convinced that Dickinson wasn't the better pick, though). We knew we wanted the project kid, so i have to believe (please let me believe!) that calls were made to the late teen/early 20 pick teams and no luck. 

If that's the case, why not? What was preventing teams from biting?

Equally or more troubling is if the calls weren't made. It's even a louder, WHY NOT? 

has anyone ever simultaneously been a gm in multiple sports? Would Howie Roseman be willing?

Just read Flyers didn't want Buium because York, Drysdale among others are small and Flyers didn't want to be stuck with a small defense core. I respect that. Danny also said the tie went to Center position. 

2 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Well, as much as our fan base is ripping on the Flyers, the Red Wings are even more furious with what Yzerman did at 15. 

Wings getting RIPPED! Detroit Free Press and News basically saying Kasper/Danielson/Norwegian dude...their last 3 picks all the same kinds player. 

53 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

In news, that gives me a bit of comedy relief, good ol' Kevin Hayes has been traded to the Pittsburgh Penguins. 

I don't like quoting my own quote, but I missed an opportunity here. I should have said the husk of Kevin Hayes. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

They literally just used this kid as an excuse to not draft Buium which i am calling ******** on.

They didn't draft Buium because they were doing "best player available" with a preference towards centers. That's what Briere said and I get that.

They then used the third they got to get a second round defenceman.

All in all, pending how the kids develop, not a bad draft.

But certainly not a game changer.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, radoran said:

They didn't draft Buium because they were doing "best player available" with a preference towards centers. That's what Briere said and I get that.

They then used the third they got to get a second round defenceman.

All in all, pending how the kids develop, not a bad draft.

But certainly not a game changer.

Except that

1) it wasn't a tie. It was a first pair dman vs at best a 2nd line center.  Mileage may vary and maybe Buium  doesn't end up as a 1D and maybe Luch goes bananas and becomes a 1C. But what we know now is 1D vs 2/3C and predicted top 6 pick vs. 20ish.  The "best player available" is Flyers FO propaganda, nothing more.

2) They used the third to combine with another third to draft someone in the second round who should have been drafted mid-3rd round.  Color me completely unimpressed by the amateurish asset management.  And after that the picks are generally reaches who will very likely never see the AHL.  

Sorry  maybe Luch makes 2C.  Call that a win (I will). But overall, I'm completely unimpressed.

Edited by ruxpin
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

1) it wasn't a tie. It was a first pair dman vs at best a 2nd line center. 

I'm not saying I would have done it, I'm saying they said they didn't go BPA they went BCA.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, radoran said:

I'm not saying I would have done it, I'm saying they said they didn't go BPA they went BCA.

You know, I was just saying privately elsewhere that I'm kind of hoping the "same agent as Cutter and stayed away" is the real reason.   Because if it is, I can appreciate Briere not wanting to be public about that and is forced to throw seemingly incoherent alternative reasons out there.   I'm going to go ahead and pretend it (Cutter/agent) is the real reason not to go for the defenseman there (because worst case scenario is you have one too many above average young defensemen and are trading one from a position of strength).  It just makes me feel better not having to think we have Paul Holmbriere running the show.

Edited by ruxpin
  • Like 4