2024-25 Phantoms/Flyer prospects

1 hour ago, radoran said:

Do you think another $880K per year might assuage her concerns?

'cause I do.

:hocky:

He went over for the money...they were paying over double, and as a backup goalie he knew his career may not be long.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

Fedetov can totally shat the bed and be a flop and the Flyers would be forced to give Kolosov a shot. I know he had a contract, but we have eaten plenty of contracts and wasted tons of $$, what's a few million more. 

There is a point where continually blowing huge chunks of salary cap for people not to play for the parent club has an impact.

It might even lead one to become a moribund middling bubble playoff team with delusions of grandeur.

But, hey, they get $13M back after next season and then another $5.3 after 25-26 so they've got room to buyout and stash guys in the AHL again.

Glorious.

I'm not saying I agree with Kolosov here, but I also don't see him as some "great prospect that got away."

Apparently the Flyers are asking for a 2nd to trade their 3rd round pick who isn't in the country and isn't reporting to camp.

We'll see how that works out for them.

• Uggh... 1

16 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

He went over for the money...they were paying over double, and as a backup goalie he knew his career may not be long.

I've been trying to find his KHL salary. I'm not sure it was $40K, but it could have been.

I kinda believe he was making more money in the K than his AHL deal.

Could be wrong.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, radoran said:

There is a point where continually blowing huge chunks of salary cap for people not to play for the parent club has an impact.

It might even lead one to become a moribund middling bubble playoff team with delusions of grandeur.

But, hey, they get $13M back after next season and then another $5.3 after 25-26 so they've got room to buyout and stash guys in the AHL again.

Glorious.

I'm not saying I agree with Kolosov here, but I also don't see him as some "great prospect that got away."

Apparently the Flyers are asking for a 2nd to trade their 3rd round pick who isn't in the country and isn't reporting to camp.

We'll see how that works out for them.

Why dont they don't just let him play in KHL and see how it goes. Maybe he would want to compete for a spot next year.  If the Flyers don't want him any more and he excels there maybe they can give other teams permission to talk to his agent and maybe get a second round pick. if not then whatever you get is better than the nothing you have right now. I don't see the big rush to settle this thing immediately. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

Why dont they don't just let him play in KHL and see how it goes. Maybe he would want to compete for a spot next year.  If the Flyers don't want him any more and he excels there maybe they can give other teams permission to talk to his agent and maybe get a second round pick. if not then whatever you get is better than the nothing you have right now. I don't see the big rush to settle this thing immediately. 

The thing is it is making the team "look bad" and they can't have that so they're circling the wagons.

When Meltzer is out there beating his chest about "you have to prove it" and mentioning that he's not Shesterkin, Sorokin, or Bobrovsky he's doing it because the grapes were obviously sour. And, seriously, Bobrovsky in defense of how the Flyers' handled this? Please. Plus, the Flyers are asking for a second rounder from another NHL team for him...

I agree with Meltzer in that I've never been high on Kolosov, and don't peg him as more than a good backup, but the gusto with which he's going at it in this thread seems striking to me...

1 hour ago, radoran said:

The thing is it is making the team "look bad" and they can't have that so they're circling the wagons.

When Meltzer is out there beating his chest about "you have to prove it" and mentioning that he's not Shesterkin, Sorokin, or Bobrovsky he's doing it because the grapes were obviously sour. And, seriously, Bobrovsky in defense of how the Flyers' handled this? Please. Plus, the Flyers are asking for a second rounder from another NHL team for him...

I agree with Meltzer in that I've never been high on Kolosov, and don't peg him as more than a good backup, but the gusto with which he's going at it in this thread seems striking to me...

I know who Meltzer is, but I don't really follow him at all. Is he a kind of media mouthpiece for Flyers management, and we can infer (at least in part) their attitude about this, or is he a complete outsider and he's just giving us purely his own opinion?

• Like 1

Not sure if anyone else is aware of this, but Kolosov and Askarov share the same agent, Dan Milstein. That's the same guy who told Nashville that they would keep the trade request quiet only to go public. It seems Milstein of another one of those agents who gets his clients out of where they are. 

The Flyers need to play hardball here, but they need to take a serious look at their inner workings. Two top prospects wanting out with zero reason doesn't pass the smell test. And this is more than just a player being alienated. Something happened that caused a serious change of heart with Kolosov.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

I know who Meltzer is, but I don't really follow him at all. Is he a kind of media mouthpiece for Flyers management, and we can infer (at least in part) their attitude about this, or is he a complete outsider and he's just giving us purely his own opinion?

He was an outsider and is now paid by the team.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Not sure if anyone else is aware of this, but Kolosov and Askarov share the same agent, Dan Milstein. That's the same guy who told Nashville that they would keep the trade request quiet only to go public. It seems Milstein of another one of those agents who gets his clients out of where they are. 

The Flyers need to play hardball here, but they need to take a serious look at their inner workings. Two top prospects wanting out with zero reason doesn't pass the smell test. And this is more than just a player being alienated. Something happened that caused a serious change of heart with Kolosov.

I don’t think there’s more to this that needs investigating.  He changed his mind about playing in North America. 
He signed a contract and should hold up his end. So no play-y hockey for us, no play-y hockey in North America.

I’d wait him out. If he’s not playing in Russia, how long will he want to work in the Stoli bottling plant ?

I think he’s behaving like a punk. I don’t see where this is on the Flyers. 
ommv.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mojo1917 said:

I think he’s behaving like a punk. I don’t see where this is on the Flyers. 

He can be a punk and the Flyers can not have handled this well.

Both are probably correct.

If Gauthier hadn't happened no one would be paying attention to a run of the mill 3rd round goalie "controversy." Because it did, I'm sensing more than a little sensitivity from the organization and their rookie execs.

Part of the problem is that they made a big deal about him coming over, and then signed Fedotov a couple months later, effectively blocking him. Signing a guy to a contract and effectively giving him no way to achieve the top end dollars on it - $972K v. $80K - doesn't engender player loyalty.

Flyers were apparently also in on Askarov.

If you're Kolosov, what do any of those thing say to you? Because "we want you here and value your continued development as a player and a person" is not what all of that says to me.

If he plays in Minsk, what happens to him? To the (Belo)Russians? To KHL?

Not. Much. He's just another Russian goalie who never left the KHL.

No great loss.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Curious to what the asking offer was?????

Don't know, but it's been widely reported. I assume it included Ersson.

I'd speculate that the Flyers didn't have a high enough first to match San Jose's offer or didn't want to part with their pick.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, radoran said:

Don't know, but it's been widely reported. I assume it included Ersson.

I'd speculate that the Flyers didn't have a high enough first to match San Jose's offer or didn't want to part with their pick.

I suspect it's the bolded. Their pick will be high.   I don't know if i trade a top 5-7 pick for a "he's played 3 games" goalie when I still need a  top center.  San Jose has two and we gifted them a 1D, so they don't have the same problem

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

FWIW, we currently have a group of Nursing Students on my floor....from Boston College...last week I was talking to some of them

(the cute ones, not the ones that look like the business end of a hippopotamus)

about the BC Eagles and the hockey team....I told them the story about Cutter and what happened....one of them said, "Yeah, I'm not surprised, he was kind of a jerk..."

Edited by flyerdog
  • Haha 2