2024-25 Phantoms/Flyer prospects

• 4 weeks later...

Hey the Flyers have another RW.....who saw that coming...

...clearly when they draft these kids they ain't shoehorning them into the position they were drafted in only.

Surely they see bare minimum them playing either wing and/or center as well.

Otherwise them should change the their name to the Philadelphia Right Wings but then that sounds so political...

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Hey the Flyers have another RW.....who saw that coming...

...clearly when they draft these kids they ain't shoehorning them into the position they were drafted in only.

Surely they see bare minimum them playing either wing and/or center as well.

Otherwise them should change the their name to the Philadelphia Right Wings but then that sounds so political...

Damn and another one...

3 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

@OccamsRazor

He's killing it in the Russian jr league. 
I think he’ll need to continue this pace for a whole season and see how that translates to the KHL. 

Yeah. It's nice that he's playing well, but I try really hard not to get excited by clips of young offensive players in junior who were really late picks, because it doesn't usually translate. I hope like hell that it does, but in the last two clips, the defending was beyond unpolished (as should be expected at that level).

OT goal - I counted 4 Mississippis that the LD didn't move his feet. Jason Allison would have blown by him.

last clip - both defensemen backed in past the hashmarks, and let Pautov rip it from the most dangerous scoring area on the ice.

Not saying that won't make it; not saying that he can't make it. He's certainly worth tracking, but pros will actually force him to create plays, and that's the thing to watch for.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

Not saying that won't make it; not saying that he can't make it. He's certainly worth tracking, but pros will actually force him to create plays, and that's the thing to watch for.

So, you're saying to trade Michkov to make room on the right side?

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Uggh... 1

I don't know what the mystery is about a guy not wanting to play in a foreign country for $80K with virtually no chance of seeing an NHL salary instead of at home making at least 2-3 times that.

https://www.nbcsportsphiladelphia.com/nhl/philadelphia-flyers/flyers-rookie-camp-2024-was-alexei-kolosov-news-surprising/615792/

1 hour ago, radoran said:

I don't know what the mystery is about a guy not wanting to play in a foreign country for $80K with virtually no chance of seeing an NHL salary instead of at home making at least 2-3 times that.

https://www.nbcsportsphiladelphia.com/nhl/philadelphia-flyers/flyers-rookie-camp-2024-was-alexei-kolosov-news-surprising/615792/

why "virtually no chance...NHL?" I thought the Flyers were real high on this kid. I didn't follow the whole saga but I recall the glowing reports, talk of him playing for the Flyers. Then the story that he expected to play for the O&B as a rookie ... but who knows if that was true.

Anyway ... I'd like to think it's more than money for a Russian (or any) prospect signed by an NHL team. Philly may not be Canadian hockey but it's still a huge market. I would've thought he'd want to play against the best, see if he's as good as they say he is... I guess I thought wrong!

10 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

why "virtually no chance...NHL?" I thought the Flyers were real high on this kid.

Because the Flyers have Ersson and Fedotov signed for the next two years to one way deals?

There's no room in the crease for him. So he'll be "learning the game" in Lehigh for $80K a year (plus $97k signing bonus) for the next two years.

If you signed a "guaranteed $2.7M deal" to play in a foreign country and were in line to make an "actual" $510K in a minor league small town (Allentown: 125K, Minsk: 1.9M) with virtually no chance you will see any of the other $2.2M, how does that make you feel? (I know this is "a lot of money" in the real world, but in sportsworld it's peanuts)

His annual NHL salary would be $972K and he'll wind up with a little more than half of that over three years in this scenario.

It's Very similar to the reason that Askarov pushed his way out of Nashville.

A valid question is "who was the better prospect" to commit to - Fedotov or Kolosov?

Briere chose Fedotov and we'll hope it works out.

Just now, RonJeremy said:

The thing is, if he excelled with the Phantoms and Ersson or Fedetov didn't play well, he could steal their jobs and one of them could be traded. 

Yes, if you look at it from strictly how it might benefit the Flyers, that's true.

Same thing was true with Askaraov in Nashville. If Saros reversed his ACL, then Askarov could get a chance.

Askarov's in San Jose now.

What's the lesson in this for Kolosov?

5 minutes ago, radoran said:

Yes, if you look at it from strictly how it might benefit the Flyers, that's true.

Same thing was true with Askaraov in Nashville. If Saros reversed his ACL, then Askarov could get a chance.

Askarov's in San Jose now.

What's the lesson in this for Kolosov?

YES, but there is a big difference in the goaltending in Nashville and our two alleged starters.  Ersson has been solid,.not great and Fedetov is as unproven as Kolosov. If it's all about making $ instead of making it to the NHL,then he should stay in Russia. I would think any NHL team would want him to start in the AHL for a half a season before he gets a shot.

33 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

I would think any NHL team would want him to start in the AHL for a half a season before he gets a shot.

Which makes total sense, but at the same time both the guys in front of him are on one way deals, aren't waiver-exempt, and happen to be signed for exactly the same term left on Kolosov's deal.

Could he play in the NHL? Sure.

Could the Flyers win the Cup this year if every other team gets significant injuries and the Flyers all play above their capacity? Sure.

Neither are likely to happen, but both are definitely possible.

It could be that Kolosov is more interested in playing in the NHL than sitting for two years in Allentown. It appears he's trying to force that option.

(One of the more hysterical takes out there is that Nashville should trade for him 🤣)

Another thing with Kolosov was I just recently heard his girlfriend was with him when he was holed up in the hotel room. I'm not saying this is the reason for sure, but she may very well have felt more alienated than he did and may have put the bug in his ear to go home. 

When my nephew played in Russia (twice) the 2nd time his wife went with him and she couldn't stand it there. She said she was basically shunned by the Russian wives (I imagine NOT knowing Russian didn't help her cause) and just wanted to go home. And she did. He played, but I could see it being at the very least a discussion.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Another thing with Kolosov was I just recently heard his girlfriend was with him when he was holed up in the hotel room. I'm not saying this is the reason for sure, but she may very well have felt more alienated than he did and may have put the bug in his ear to go home. 

Do you think another $880K per year might assuage her concerns?

'cause I do.

:hocky:

2 hours ago, radoran said:

It's Very similar to the reason that Askarov pushed his way out of Nashville.

No it's really not Askarov at least played 2 season in the AHL him being a little upset he isn't getting to play in the NHL i can see being frustrated with.

Kolosov played a few games i think just 2 towards the end of last season and zero when they struggled in the playoffs and was sent home.

Flyers little prospect is full of himself and feels he can dictate what will happen or not and well yeah at the moment he seems to have won but the Flyers own his rights and he can't play in the NHL for another team. Where that loses alot of steam what if he DGAF about playing in the NHL as much as they think he wants too?

I don't know what happens either way right now Flyers lose. But Flyers would be burning another year of his entry level contract if he played in the KHL.

Not even sure how they resolve it but if he don't want to be here ya can't make him. Time to move on because no one will even trade for him if you wanted to move him.

Pretty much stuck and well time to move on and worry about who wants to be here.

A self entitled Russian is not a main concern of mine fug him play who is here and let him do his thing where that is.

21 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

No it's really not Askarov at least played 2 season in the AHL him being a little upset he isn't getting to play in the NHL i can see being frustrated with.

Kolosov played a few games i think just 2 towards the end of last season and zero when they struggled in the playoffs and was sent home.

The point is when they signed Fedotov to two years - after they signed Kolosov - it effectively meant Kolosov wasn't going to get a chance under his ELC.

The point is also the $880K difference between his NHL salary and his AHL salary.

If you don't think that 880 thousand dollars isn't playing a role here, terrific. I respectfully disagree.

40 minutes ago, radoran said:

The point is when they signed Fedotov to two years - after they signed Kolosov - it effectively meant Kolosov wasn't going to get a chance under his ELC.

The point is also the $880K difference between his NHL salary and his AHL salary.

If you don't think that 880 thousand dollars isn't playing a role here, terrific. I respectfully disagree.

it is the way it is set up for every prospect coming from Russia he must prove himself in the AHL first and he think he is above that i think and well he shouldn't be left to get away with it.

A yes once they handed Fedotov all that money it was a wrap on him getting any playing time in the NHL unless one of them got hurt which you know is only a matter of time in Philly but he doesn't want any part of that either so yeah fug him not much Danny can do now should have never gave Fedotov that contract.

Would have worked better for the Flyers to have Kolosov even back up Ersson but that is with hind sight now. It's a mess.

Edited by OccamsRazor
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

it is the way it is set up for every prospect coming from Russia he must prove himself in the AHL first and he think he is above that i think and well he should be left to get away with it.

He definitely needs to do that, and I anticipate he would in another place where the top two slots aren't filled for the duration of his contract.

29 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Would have worked better for the Flyers to have Kolosov even back up Ersson but that is with hind sight now. It's a mess.

They were so excited about Fedotov that they signed him to a two year deal after he *checks notes* hadn't proved himself in the AHL.

They must really have liked the intangibles under that impressive 4.95/.811 he put up in North American play.

(That said, Kolosov's KHL numbers aren't as good as Fedotov's...)

1 minute ago, radoran said:

They were so excited about Fedotov that they signed him to a two year deal after he *checks notes* hadn't proved himself in the AHL.

And now if Fedotov looks like crap like we all saw when he played at the end of last season (remember like skates not fitting they made the excuse for him that his equipment didn't fit him right and that was in part to his struggles) then Danny Jones is going to have major egg on his face, then alienated one of their top prospect for some old dinosaur like prospect it will be more bad press for the Flyers.

2 hours ago, radoran said:

Which makes total sense, but at the same time both the guys in front of him are on one way deals, aren't waiver-exempt, and happen to be signed for exactly the same term left on Kolosov's deal.

Could he play in the NHL? Sure.

Could the Flyers win the Cup this year if every other team gets significant injuries and the Flyers all play above their capacity? Sure.

Neither are likely to happen, but both are definitely possible.

It could be that Kolosov is more interested in playing in the NHL than sitting for two years in Allentown. It appears he's trying to force that option.

(One of the more hysterical takes out there is that Nashville should trade for him 🤣)

I see his point of view, but just because Fedetov is signed for two years,should not deter Kolosov. Fedetov can totally shat the bed and be a flop and the Flyers would be forced to give Kolosov a shot. I know he had a contract, but we have eaten plenty of contracts and wasted tons of $$, what's a few million more.