Stamkos signs with Nashville 4 years 8 million per....

Stamkos signs 4-year contract with Predators after leaving Lightning

Forward scored 40 goals last season; Marchessault also goes to Nashville

Stamkos FA

© Mark LoMoglio/NHLI

ByNHL.com

Steven Stamkos signed a four-year contract with the Nashville Predators, the center told TSN on Monday. It reportedly has an average annual value of $8 million.

The 34-year-old forward had 81 points (40 goals, 41 assists) in 79 regular-season games for the Tampa Bay Lightning last season, and had 28 points (16 goals, 12 assists) in the final 18 games after the NHL Trade Deadline on March 8 to help Tampa Bay earn the first wild card into the Stanley Cup Playoffs from the Eastern Conference.

Stamkos then led Tampa Bay with five goals in the first-round series against the Florida Panthers, which the Lightning lost in five games.

"You always think that something's going to work out but this morning when I woke up, we knew we were going to make a decision to be somewhere else and that was exciting for my wife and I and our kids and family,” Stamkos TSN.

“And like I said, just to have a team show as much interest as Nashville did with how excited they were with the possibility of me coming.

"It just made us feel really special and really good. It made that decision that much easier."

Stamkos was not the only former Stanley Cup champion joining the Predators on Monday. Jonathan Marchessault, who won the Cup with the Vegas Golden Knights in 2022-23, told TSN he is also going to the Predators.

"Nashville was the best fit for me," the 34-year-old forward told on TSN. "I'm at the point in my career when I don't just want to play games, I want to win games."

image.jpg?fastly_token=Njg2NDM3YjVfZmEyO

Marchessault, an original member of the Golden Knights, said he was "disappointed" he could not re-sign with Vegas, but added, "I turned the page an hour ago. We move on. A new chapter, a new challenge for me and my family."

Stamkos signed an eight-year, $68 million contract ($8.5 million average annual value) on June 29, 2016 and was eligible to sign a new contract with Tampa Bay last season.

"Steven's earned the right to test free agency," Lightning general manager Julien BriseBois said.

"I didn't go to him last season to get a deal done. I did go to him quickly after this season, and I was taking a risk by doing that that we may end up here, and now here we are. And to be fair, I think both parties have tried to get a deal done up to this point. We just haven't been able to yet."

The No. 1 pick in the 2008 NHL Draft, Stamkos has 1,137 points (555 goals, 582 assists) in 1,082 games over 16 seasons, all with the Lightning ranking first in points, goals, games, power-play goals (214), game-winning goals (85) and overtime goals (13) in team history.

He won the Maurice "Rocket" Richard Trophy for most goals in a season twice (51 in 2009-10, and 60 in 2011-12) and led the Lighting to back-to-back Stanley Cup championships in 2020 and 2021.

"At the end of the day, winning is still what fuels me," Stamkos said May 1. "Being a big part of that culture fuels me.

Obviously, certain things have changed now; I have an amazing young family that has put roots down in this city and really enjoy living here and playing here. From that perspective the decision is more than just me now, and that's something that is amazing for me to have that and be in that situation.

"There's different factors than there were last time, but nothing's really changed in terms of my mindset and where I wanted to be and play, and that was here. So, that certainly hasn't changed."

Since entering the NHL, Stamkos is second in goals, behind only Alex Ovechkin (690) and fourth in points, behind Sidney Crosby (1,302), Ovechkin (1,240) and Patrick Kane (1,212).

"When you don't have control of the situation, you just have to come to terms with that," Stamkos said. "For sure, there were times throughout the year you think about those things in private conversations with friends and family and mentors and things like that, but for me, I tried to leave that at home and when I came to the rink it never crossed my mind.

Stamkos is third in playoff points (101) and assists (51), second in goals (50) and fifth in games (128) in Lightning history.

"He belongs here. We know it, he knows it," Lightning coach Jon Cooper said April 29. "We've grown up together, he's a heck of a player, but he's also … I mean, he controls his own destiny, but I don't know what's going to happen. But he feels like a Bolt for life, but only he and Julien can answer that one."

Marchessault, the Conn Smythe Trophy winner as the MVP of the 2023 Stanley Cup Playoffs, had 69 points (42 goals, 27 assists) last season and four points in seven playoff games.

He has 487 points (230 goals, 257 assists) in 638 regular-season games with the Columbus Blue Jackets, Lightning, Panthers and Golden Knights.

1 hour ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Don't worry.....I have medication on hand.
I'll be fine. :ph34r: 

Stupor2.jpg.3e395842f7ddfb5e06e99f9d8cbb4812.jpg

You'll have more opportunities to see Stamkos live now!

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

On 7/1/2024 at 6:15 PM, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Don't worry.....I have medication on hand.
I'll be fine. :ph34r: 

Stupor2.jpg.3e395842f7ddfb5e06e99f9d8cbb4812.jpg

I hoping you will be extremely soon!! 

What is wrong anyway? If you don't mind me asking? 

34 minutes ago, notfondajane said:

I hoping you will be extremely soon!! 

What is wrong anyway? If you don't mind me asking? 

What's wrong???

Julien Brisebois let the face of the franchise, a guy who can STILL play better then 3/4 of the league probably, walk for nothing! That's what!

Roman Hamrlik.....Chris Gratton....Enrico Ciccone...Rob Zamuner....Pavel Kubina....Martin St. Louis....Brad Richards....Vincent Lecavalier....Ondrej Palat....and now Steven Stamkos.
All players that I had a particular attachment to, that the Lightning either traded or let walk for nothing, while they still had game left in them!

I have the rest of the summer to completely get over it (and I will....I have learned over the years that is NHL business), but I might still want to puke a bit if I watch a Predators game and see Stammer skating around with the sabre toothed alley cattus logo on his chest...

Hell....despite being a Wild fan as well, I might even root for the Preds a bit this year.
I honestly don't blame Stamkos on this one.....My ire is directed at Julien Brisebois.

Guentzel, whom I know you know well, better work out for this team!
And Cam Atkinson (yikes!!) too! 😬

57 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

What's wrong???

Julien Brisebois let the face of the franchise, a guy who can STILL play better then 3/4 of the league probably, walk for nothing! That's what!

During the lockout in 2005, I argued that teams should have a reduced salary cap hit on players they've drafted, as well as being able to designate one player as their franchise player, which would carry no cap hit. According to what the owners were saying in public, the idea of the salary cap was to provide a salary structure which was tied to hockey revenue, and it was said that it would stop wealthy teams from poaching talent from teams which had less money. What we ended up with is a system where teams lose productive players who don't want to go anywhere, and it's heartbreak for everybody in the franchise.

The Lightning shouldn't be losing a player like Stamkos, who had every intention of retiring in a Tampa jersey. I think it's a damned shame.

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, JR Ewing said:

During the lockout in 2005, I argued that teams should have a reduced salary cap hit on players they've drafted, as well as being able to designate one player as their franchise player, which would carry no cap hit. According to what the owners were saying in public, the idea of the salary cap was to provide a salary structure which was tied to hockey revenue, and it was said that it would stop wealthy teams from poaching talent from teams which had less money. What we ended up with is a system where teams lose productive players who don't want to go anywhere, and it's heartbreak for everybody in the franchise.

The Lightning shouldn't be losing a player like Stamkos, who had every intention of retiring in a Tampa jersey. I think it's a damned shame.

The worst part of all this is the stories that are out there.

I keep reading over and over that Brisebois only offered Stamkos 3M per to stay on....which I FOUND insulting well before hothead Paul Bisonette said it was.
Then I hear Stamkos' camp was asking for a mere 5M+ to stay on. Even if Brisebois gives him a six year contract (yea, probably too long as it takes Stamkos to age 40), the fact that you keep him on and he will probably still be top six productive for the first two to three years of that contract......maybe middle six or top 9 productive the year or so after that....and likely just a 'chip in scorer' for the remainder of the contract.
The fact that you keep him on shows, as a GM, how dedicated you are to the supposed close knit group that delivered titles to your franchise.

But at 5M he is still a steal, AND, more importantly, you show that locker room that home drafted players, a player in Stamkos I might add, who took home town bridge deals before taking his "big payday", which was also a discount at just 8.5M, that homegrown talent, and guys that lead your team to titles on the ice, and is an ambassador off the ice for them, get treated like royalty.

Brisebois then goes and gives Victor Hedman 8M, and while I feel Hedder is in the same category as Stamkos, I feel Hedman will age worse on the ice than Stamkos would. 
Hedman already is a guy who is guaranteed to miss some time throughout the year, and his play reflects how healthy he is, whereas Stamkos, despite his past gruesome injuries, still performs at a high level consistently.
Then throws another 9M at Jake Guentzel who may, or may not be able to come anywhere near Stamkos' level of consistency, even if he is a few years younger.

I am just a fan...and a biased Lightning one at that....no where near qualified to be an NHL GM.
But I don't have to be one to know that offering the face of your franchise for almost the last two decades, 3M per, at age 34 with his skillset still almost completely intact, is a damned faux pas of the highest magnitude.

No one can convince me that Stamkos at 5M, maybe Hedman at around the same, and THEN Guentzel at around 7M or so couldn't have happened.
I get the sneaking suspicion that Julien Brisebois outsmarted himself and has now put himself in the cross hairs if the Lightning play poorly.

Oh....and the optics for the franchise.
How do potential free agents view the team being run now?
How do young talent evaluate whether they want to stay there, or bolt (no pun intended) first chance they get?

Those are things you simply cannot put a price tag on.
Things that the Bolts as an organization were always very good at, particularly when Steve Yzerman was in charge.

Having a real tough time believing that owner Jeff Vinik, who has been nothing but awesome as an owner, is on board with Brisebois thinking he can save some pennies by not offering "that has been" Stamkos a respectable contract....

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26
  • Like 1
  • Good Post 2

Barry Trotz has learned well from David Poile.  I thought he made some great signings, and while Stamkos and Marchessault are on the older side, but in the next two years the Predators should be among the contenders in the Western conference I'd think.  Brady Skjei was another great add.  I just wonder if these moves block out Joakim Kemmel who has been a total stud for Milwaukee.  

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry....not sorry...
Some things in life just don't %$@!ing look right 🙁

And the crazier part it, I will probably become a pseudo Preds fan now as my "third" team.
Vancouver is now soooo passé .....

stamkos.thumb.jpg.39e1ae79016296841e1ce37551f36090.jpg

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26

TFG, there really isn’t much else to say after that absolutely spot on post. 
The only excuse Brisebois can come up with for his idiotic decision on Stamkos would be some bad drugs. I only wish the Wild were the ones to take advantage of a future hall of famer. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Tomdog said:

TFG, there really isn’t much else to say after that absolutely spot on post. 
The only excuse Brisebois can come up with for his idiotic decision on Stamkos would be some bad drugs. I only wish the Wild were the ones to take advantage of a future hall of famer. 

Since that post, I've continued to follow what Brisebois is doing, and I can actually SEE what he is trying to do, though I still feel with a bit of compromise by everyone who wants to win (all of them, right??), Stamkos, Guentzel, and Hedman could have stayed on together.

But I am starting to think this situation goes back to well before Stammer's contract was up. There was always something a bit off about his relationship with Brisebois....something a bit adversarial...and taht wasn't there when Yzerman was in charge. And I think Brisebois took this as an opportunity to offer Stamkos a minimum contract that he knew he wouldn't take, and if he did, he looks good for keeping the face of the franchise on for such little money.

To be fair to Brisebois, I think he is trying to extend the Stanley Cup window further by having Guentzel essentially replace Stamkos on the ice (and I stress "on the ice" because replacing him off of it is not possible at this point in time), and by focusing on the defensive part of the team (which admittedly, wasn't very good particularly 5 on 5 last season), while still trying to maintain a good offense.

What I say to that, grudgingly is, "It BETTER work!"
The Lightning BETTER challenge the Panthers, Bruins, and Leafs for the top spot...and they BETTER be legit contenders for the Cup.
Otherwise, I think the fanbase turns on him.
From an offensive point of view, I think this is Brayden Point's and Nikita Kucherov's team now...from a defensive standpoint, Hedman is still the man, and Ryan McDonagh will back him for as long as HIS body holds out.

As for Stamkos, I wish him the absolute best...although, if I am being honest, even with Stamkos, Marchessault (is that guy still really a regular top sixer??), and with Saros in net and Josi on defense, I am not completely convinced the Preds have enough to challenge Dallas or Colorado for the top spot.
I will definitely watch more Predators games now, but I think, if the team falters, and especially if they fall flat on their faces, Stamkos will somehow, some way, find his way back to the Eastern Conference via trade, and he MIGHT even be the guy who ends up burning the Lightning in some playoff series either this season, or the next two, if he is wearing a Panthers, Bruins, or EGADS! A freakin Leafs sweater!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/17/2024 at 5:51 PM, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Sorry....not sorry...
Some things in life just don't %$@!ing look right 🙁

And the crazier part it, I will probably become a pseudo Preds fan now as my "third" team.
Vancouver is now soooo passé .....

stamkos.thumb.jpg.39e1ae79016296841e1ce37551f36090.jpg

Well obviously those pants are killing this look 

More from social media...
Bad enough Julien Brisebois lets the captain walk and he is now wearing that ridiculous mustard yellow, but the boys over at Fanatics had ONE FREAKIN JOB!
And they couldn't get that right.

Top it off with all the Stammer photos of him wearing something Nashville, and how "happy" he looks....tellin ya...he has the look of a man who is destined to be traded to an Atlantic rival and who will absolutely burn the Lightning the first chance he gets!
And the Bolts will have DESERVED IT!

But seriously Fanatics so-called "sports shop"...WTF??? 
Not enough consonants in your damned budget? 🙄

452103055_896168459219473_7364809685252499202_n.jpg.aa87b0173aa3a8eb507165ecf590262d.jpg